Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start a business in ROI or NI?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 6:46pm

Looking to set up a business importing food products from S.America which I will then sell online mostly, to begin with. For the sake of taxes, importation and support, where do you think would be best to start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Rudolph here is more likely to know re importation but I imagine both Ireland and Northern Ireland are broadly similar as EU regulations would cover a lot of the importation legislation.

If you set up in the UK I think corporation tax is 19%. In the South its 12.5%.

The VAT rate in the UK is 20% while ours is 21% so now they are broadly the same.

Company regulation, I'm unsure of the situation. It is slightly easier and cheaper to set up a Ltd company in the UK I believe, but its very easy to do so in Ireland also.

As regards start-up support there are some excellent supports North & South. In the South the various Enterprise boards provide classes and advice. Grants would be unlikely for a business that was importing from overseas.

Advertisement