Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to paint house with us in it

Options
  • 29-08-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Its our first time renting and have been here since June. Agreed for the landlord to paint the house while we were away in July and August. When we had returned nothing had been done. On follow up with the letting agent she apologized and said the landlord painters will be in this week to paint. Should we get money off rent or something as our rooms will be painted and covered up? Have I grounds to refute this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yeah just tell them they can paint it next time you are away

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

It will only be for a little while and ultimately will make your home nicer. Can't you just suck it up for a little while :confused: If you were painting a house/apartment you lived in you wouldn't get money off your mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You can refuse to let him paint it but why would you? My landlord painted my house while I was there and it as a bit inconvenient but no big deal - it was lovely to have it freshly done. Just get on with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It amazes me people think LL have magic powers to get people to do things. If you have ever tried to get any tradesmen to turn up to a schedule you will realise that that you can't. LL have the same problems everybody else does.

Either people are naive or just plain pigheaded about what a LL can and should do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Siouxky wrote: »
    Have I grounds to refute this??

I'd say you do. Just tell the landlord he can paint the place when you move out. I'm sure he won't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hey,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Its our first time renting and have been here since June. Agreed for the landlord to paint the house while we were away in July and August. When we had returned nothing had been done. On follow up with the letting agent she apologized and said the landlord painters will be in this week to paint. Should we get money off rent or something as our rooms will be painted and covered up? Have I grounds to refute this??

Look at it this way.

If you owned the property would you ask the bank for a discount on your mortgage for that month?

Be happy that you are getting a freshly painted house, read some of the horror stories on here about mould, paint peeling off walls, broken washing machines/cookers getting fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Siouxky

Thanks for the replies guys. I get what ye are all saying, I guess I'm just disgruntled as we're going through a letting agent who promised it would be done over the summer when we weren't there and is determined to do it this week no matter what we say. We've been waiting for replacement kitchen chairs and our dryer to be fixed for two months too. Guess I'll just have to suck it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We've been waiting for replacement kitchen chairs and our dryer to be fixed for two months too. Guess I'll just have to suck it up!

Op waiting for a dryer to be repaired is different to painting - with the winter coming in you will need that appliance and I assume you rented the place with the dryer included. I would be inclined to push that issue a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

My last landlord gave me a week off my rent (without me asking) for the inconvenience of having to move all my stuff to get the windows replaced in the house. She was an owner occupier rather than a commercial landlord though so she wouldn't have been approaching it in a business-minded way.

Advertisement