Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to BJJ and BJJ injuries

• 29-08-2011 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey guys Im looking to take up BJJ it looks like a great sport! The only thing that concerns me is possible injuries as I also do a number of other (non - contact) sports so want to remain healthy for those also. Just wondering how users find the sport and have often injuries are picked up?

Also if anyone can recommend a place on the Northside that teaches BJJ that would be great.

Cheers for any help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

CBu wrote: »
    Hey guys Im looking to take up BJJ it looks like a great sport! The only thing that concerns me is possible injuries as I also do a number of other (non - contact) sports so want to remain healthy for those also. Just wondering how users find the sport and have often injuries are picked up?

Also if anyone can recommend a place on the Northside that teaches BJJ that would be great.

I was at a recent submission wrestling tournament ( basically BJJ without a Gi/jacket ). there must have been 150 5 minute rolls or more, not once did I see an injury. If you want to avoid injury, especially for a beginner, don't be afraid to tap out. Swallow that macho ego for the first few months and you'll be alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CBu

Ohh don't worry I would have no prob tapping to anyone be they black belts or White belts! I did hear that alot of injuries are actually caused by over zealous newbies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

No don't sweat it. Injuries are very rare. The reason you hear about them so much is because nobody ever says "hey I'm perfectly healthy!" :D

Anyway for Northside you'd be very welcome to our place in Glasnevin www.kyuzogym.com

Barry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Injuries were a MASSIVE concern for me when I got into BJJ. I've a history of shoulder trouble (15+ dislocations and a major op on my right, 2x subluxation on my left). 8 months in and I've been lucky so far that it hasn't bothered me. And I better not just have jinxed it.

A big part of that, in my opinion, is good coaching and an intelligent approach to rehab/prehab exercises for problem areas, both of which you'll get in Kyuzo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bagels90

as long as you stretch properly before and after you should be fine. like any other sport, you will suffer some injuries but as long as your smart and you stretch the right areas and tap when is right you will steer clear of anything major. do take it up dude its a great sport. as far as clubs go i train on the southside but iv heard great things about kyuzo and bjj revolution so have a look at which ever suits you and enjoy it most of all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Touch wood, I've never had a BJJ related injury that has put me out for more than a week. One issue with a neck strain but that's it I think.

BJJ is a low impact sport for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CBu

That's great guys thanks for all the info. Must check out ur gym Barry, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

HellsAngel wrote: »
    If you want to avoid injury, especially for a beginner, don't be afraid to tap out. Swallow that macho ego for the first few months and you'll be alright :)

Never a truer word said.. I let my ego get the better of me in training, rolling with Gary Morris and I didn't tap to an armbar, two months later and my elbow sounds like a can of pebbles whenever I bend it :(

OP if your worried about injuries in BJJ, cast your worries aside - you've picked one of the safer styles of Martial Arts IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Hi mate!

BJJ is a low impact martial art and injuries are very rare, but lets not kid ourselves it is still a combat sports and injuries can happen! :)

Check out www.coolminebjj.com if you're around Blanch! :) more than welcome!

-Lukey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

That's great guys thanks for all the info. Must check out ur gym Barry, cheers

You'd be very welcome. There's a beginner class on tonight at 6pm if you're about for that. First session free.

Barry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

One thing I have to say about BJJ, as it's a combat sport it's not injury free. I got through a complete accident a badly torn knee which put my out for several months. Happens. I also did Tae Kwon Do for many years. I got a lot more injuries out of TKD because it's a striking system, their is much less control. Eg a kick or punch are thrown at full speed and hence little control, if he connects badly with your rib cage, well, don't be surprised if he cracks a rib. In BJJ when an opponent grabs your arm/neck/ankle and starts to contort it into an increasingly painful position, an experienced one will normally leave it well short of applying the technique to where it could do damage, he'll generally presume his opponent has the commonsense to tap. But then sometimes as Oscar Wilde once said, " their is nothing so rare as common sense " :) Especially with a beginner and a macho ego :)

Another thing I found in BJJ was that their is much more sportsmanship than any of the striking arts. For example, when you roll with a guy and he catches you with some technique, when your a beginner don't be surprised if he shows where you made your mistake to give him the opportunity etc And indeed don't be shy to ask as we were all beginners oncel.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Providing you train smart in a good environment (i.e. training partners that aren't trying to murder you) there's not much to fear from injuries. Your far, far more likely to experience a severe injury playing field sports such as football and rugby.

That said, my only advice would be to look after your neck from the start-a fairly simple task, all you need do is concentrate on good posture, tap when required, and stretch it out before and after training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Providing you train smart in a good environment (i.e. training partners that aren't trying to murder you) there's not much to fear from injuries. Your far, far more likely to experience a severe injury playing field sports such as football and rugby.

That said, my only advice would be to look after your neck from the start-a fairly simple task, all you need do is concentrate on good posture, tap when required, and stretch it out before and after training.

+1 on this. In my limited experience it's my neck that's gotten injured as opposed to anything else. But since I've started stretching it out properly and not being silly in continuing rolling if it's at me it's been grand. Best of luck wherever you go!

Advertisement