Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher Gym NUIG

Options
  • 29-08-2011 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Just wondering how much the gym is for students going to NUIG?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Fiona_ wrote: »
    Just wondering how much the gym is for students going to NUIG?

€250 for a 12 month membership I think. For some stupid reason they don't have 9 month academic term memberships! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fiona_

thank you, is that the cost for students? like is it cheaper for students?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

thank you, is that the cost for students? like is it cheaper for students?

I think the normal student rate is €350 but it's €250 to NUIG students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fiona_

ciano1 wrote: »
    I think the normal student rate is €350 but it's €250 to NUIG students.

Wow thats really good, thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Wow thats really good, thanks for your help :)

yet there were tonnes of complaints about the price.

There is also a Pay as you Go option. Students can pay €5 for gym or swim and €7.50 for both (though no-one ever checks so €5/go is fine). You are restricted to certain hours however so if that effects you, then get the full membership. Full mem also gets you discounts on courses and other things they run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭39steps

€495 for members of the public
    €395 for staff
    €250 for students

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eugers

I heard that if ure playing certain sports for NUIG you get it for free. Does anyone know if thats true?

Eugers wrote: »
    I heard that if ure playing certain sports for NUIG you get it for free. Does anyone know if thats true?

Highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eugers

oh right :/ My friend said if you were playing football or rugby for the college that they'll pay for ure membership or something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matthew2008

is there no 4/6 etc membership availble for students? going nuig in september hopefully, but doubt id be able to afford it till after christmas and dont want to pay for the summer cause i wont be there

• Advertisement

is there no 4/6 etc membership availble for students? going nuig in september hopefully, but doubt id be able to afford it till after christmas and dont want to pay for the summer cause i wont be there

AFAIK Kingfisher's contract runs out during this summer so hopefully there's stuff in place to tender it out again, or for the SU to take it over. Whatever.

The story for the last 4 years is that you get a membership for 12 months for €250. This is a significant discount on the public rate and takes into account that many students aren't around for the summer. There was talk of introducing a per semester rate but I can't see that happening as demand for the 12 month is high enough, or people aren't arsed complaining loudly enough.

There was also talk about 18 months ago that the university admin hadn't completely ruled out giving membership to students for free to entice leaving certs here. IMO, it's a terrible idea. The gym was built far too small as it is, and there's nowhere to extend it to now that new entrance is built. It'll be wedged and un-usable.

If everything stays the same, you can just go for the pay as you go rate, which is a fiver a pop or 7.50 for gym and swim (though no one ever checks). If you're going to the gym more than twice a week it'll work out cheaper to get the €250. You're also heavily restricted with hours if you're not a member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Eugers wrote: »
    If your club training is in Kingfisher you'll get in for free at that time. Not free membership.
    AFAIK Kingfisher's contract runs out during this summer so hopefully there's stuff in place to tender it out again, or for the SU to take it over. Whatever.
    Wasn't the contract up for renewal in September 2012? Presume it was renewed for a couple of years.

Good to see the tiles in the pool finally got fixed. Nearly all the straps on the locker keys in the pool changing area are missing now - very annoying, I'd imagine it would be a cheap fix to order a box of key straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wowee

While it is good value for money for a student membership, the Kingfisher is the worst gym I've ever been a member of.The studio where the mats and weights are (C?)is filthy, so much so that whenever I've finished my floor exercises I am covered in all sorts of stuff that is on the floor.I don't know who the manager is but he is CLEARLY not doing his job. Studios like these should be swept every evening when the gym is closed and in the Kingfisher it is not even done once a month because I am there every morning early and it's always the same. There is something wrong with nearly every one of the machines. You'll get on one and the telly will be broken, get on the one beside it and the level change button will be frozen, get on the next one and it'll be making some noise or another-you get the picture!Half the treadmills have been switched off for a couple of months (obviously broken and haven't been fixed). They are the same as other machines with most of them having at least one setting on them broken.The incline on one has been broken for at east six months or more!So the upkeep of the machines and cleanliness isn't a priority in there anyway so I wonder what is?!Also the sun (when we have it) faces right into the gym for most of the morning and the machines are facing straight at it so it can be very uncomfortable when you're on a machine and the sun is constantly in your eyes. You'd think with all the members they have they'd have enough money to splash out and put a few blinds up. It wouldn't have to be every window, even just a couple would make such a difference. So while it might seem like good value beware-the running of the place is very shoddy and customer satisfaction is not important to them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Is it worth it, or am I as well just joining a different gym? I've heard so many mixed reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭murrak123

If your living at the salthill side rahoon/ westside ... the gym at leisureland is pretty good. They usually do a 6 month membership for 250 or something along those lines. Never really packed and good equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

so 500 for the year? Bit on the expensive side....

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭murrak123

murrak123 wrote: »
    If your living at the salthill side rahoon/ westside ... the gym at leisureland is pretty good. They usually do a 6 month membership for 250 or something along those lines. Never really packed and good equipment.

Sorry 200............ well realistically you are only going to be in galway for 7ish months of the year. So why would you be looking at getting a year long membership? :confused:

Advertisement