Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dismantle shed ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pakalasa wrote: »
    What do you make of this?
    What, take down roof only and leave uprights, slats etc.
    Why would you do that?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherfarming/2379503

hmm seems a shame, nice little shed..i presume you could take slats and would have to dig up pillars, kinda crazy, you could buy that shed new pretty cheap now, i mean the roof and pillars whatever about tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

aye, looks a pity alright.

straightforward enough to take down.

permanent marker and number all the sheets, make a drawing to match.
    battery drill and remove all the cladding, spanners to take down the purlins, rafters and internal gates.

All the pillars, bar one look to be removable. cut them off at ground level with an oxy-acetylene torch. one of them is in the middle of a wall though, and there's a possibility that rebar in the walls was welded to the pillars.

cut the crush pillars off at ground level again with the torch.

Ideally the holding yard pillars should be busted out of the concrete, but probably wouldnt be allowed and probably not worth the effort, cut em off at floor level with the torch again.

load it all up onto a few trailers and go home. weld on plates onto the bottom of all the pillars and bolt everything down to it's new slab.

I dont know if the slats could be worth it unless you're very local and can use a tractor as they'll cost to haul them by truck and you're bound to damage at least one lifting them.

is it worth the money? probably not unless you can take the slats too, but all the fittings, bits and the holding yard/crush do add up.

As said though, sad to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Would be easy enough to take the slats out I would have thought?
    Cut up along beside the slats with a consaw or roadsaw and jach hammer out the piece of concrete and lift them out
    It looks like a pity alright - nice looking shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭charliecon

Maybe he is going to turn the tank into a swimming pool:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

unless big industrial units, it more costly to dismantle, Wonder if it was one of the ill taught out grant sheds and if so, I presume grant would have to be repaid?
    Anyway - Cut everything at base and whip out the slats, not knowing the dimensions it could be alright value at the buying price ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

On a semi realated matter.
    i was once asked to help a guy wall a slatted shed
    The tank was 12' 6" wide.
    He put recovered slats on it, ranging from 12' 6" up to 14'6" in width out into the passageway and so badly broken I could fit my fist down through some of the holes. he had lifted them without breaking the concrete around them
    He laughed at me expression of horror and said ah sure twill be grand.
    Everything else was done well, fine shed all galvanised and well hung doors etc, what a stupid place to save money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

That looks like a great Bargain for someone. If I lived near I`d be on it straight away. It would be that hard to dismantle.
    A good drill
    Hire a jack hammer
    An Angle grinder
    Hire of a lorry (maybe Whelan could get you a good deal:0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

but if you cut all the steel at ground level the shed pillars will be too short to bed in concrete again surely??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

but if you cut all the steel at ground level the shed pillars will be too short to bed in concrete again surely??

Exactly. Madness, if you ask me.
    If you could only lift the whole thing out in one piece, and drop it into a new hole again, prefably in Co. Clare somewhere.:D

You weld on plates and bolt it down to the slab.

The best way I've seen done was a guy bought a short piece (couple of feet) of 12 inch or so box section steel.

he cut it into two inch long pieces, basically giving him a load of 12 inch squares.

he then welded lengths of threaded bar into the inside corners of the squares standing up straight.

he drilled his plates to match.

Then you set the squares into your foundations in a barrow of concrete each, line them up and get them plumb, you dont have to be 100% accurate, just very close.

protect the threaded bars with tape, or lenths of hose and pour the slab.

now you've got studs sticking up throughout the slab, drop on the plates and bolt them down, then stand up the shed frame on the plates and weld it onto the plates at each pillar.

simples.

Ok, not simple, and the price of either making the plates and studs, or getting someone to make them would need to be factored in, but if the shed is cheap enough it's easily done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Ok, not simple, and the price of either making the plates and studs, or getting someone to make them would need to be factored in, but if the shed is cheap enough it's easily done.

but at the quoted price + dismantling+haulage+new fixtures etc it will be 15grand. price similar shed and slats and they wouldnt be too much more expensive. I wonder is it being sold with VAT rec? I presume the VAT wouldnt be reclaimable. Close on a busy fool I would say. Maybe the shed is deceiving but it doesnt look that big

Yeah I've no idea of the value of it, just what'd be involved in doing it. and four grand's probably a fair figure for doing the job too.

so probably no value in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cartonj

I'd nearly tell him leave the shed where it is and buy the corner of the yard instead.

Advertisement