Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW TO CORK---- Socializing???

Options
  • 29-08-2011 8:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49

Hi Folks,

Im nearly 30, from Munster but living in Cork a short while..... just putting it out there... does anyone have any suggestions regarding joining clubs, groups, and socializing etc.

Would welcome any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

what are ur interest ? generally its easier for a guy to make friends are u interested in sport? if so try astro.ie for socer and tag rubgy often people on that looking for people for teams. might be one way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

theres a cork boards meetup most months would be a good start for ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 IrishGuyCork

what are ur interest ? generally its easier for a guy to make friends are u interested in sport? if so try astro.ie for socer and tag rubgy often people on that looking for people for teams. might be one way

Thank you Lisa for your reply and suggestions..im very grateful. Thanx

no probs kinda in the same situation myself. as i said easier for men but i think boards will be a help. i know friends living in other counties found here a big help in meeting people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Try and get to one of the Cork boards meetups, seems to work well.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Try and get to one of the Cork boards meetups, seems to work well.

Hi Sonic thanx for the comment. Yeah heard alot about a few social groups. Wouldnt be for me.... More into getting to know people or small groups rather then jumping into larger groups. But thanx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

The meet ups we have here on boards (see stickies at top of page) normally only have max ten people at them sometimes less. You are more than welcome to come along to one, won't be until September sometime but keep an eye on it. You can always leave if you are not enjoying yourself.

Cadyboo wrote: »
    The meet ups we have here on boards (see stickies at top of page) normally only have max ten people at them sometimes less. You are more than welcome to come along to one, won't be until September sometime but keep an eye dyon it. You can always leave if you are not enjoying yourself.

Hi Cadyboo thanx for taking the time to reply. I have tried few groups before and they wouldnt be for me. More into connecting with people or in small groups such as 3 or 4.

In MY experience and its just my opinion i find social groups to be very clickly, and most people get sooo lost in them they just end up stop going. You dont really develop true friendships over time. Wouldnt be for me but enjoy and have fun.

Im sure you have made many good friends and had good fun. :) Have a nice day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

As said before by others- it all depends on what ur interests are.

If ur into any kind of sport - anything from swimming to badminton to rugby, find a place to join with. You don't need to be particularily good at any of these, a will to try and have fun would be enough

If your into books, look into your local library and ask if they have a bookclub there. If not, why not create one?

How about volunteering for something? Do u have a charity or cause that ur heart goes out for? A great way to meet people who share a passion for same thing as you. Be it helping a charity or simply helping to clean up seaside...

Interested in learning something? How about a new language? Find someone to "trade" a language you know to a language they know with:) Or join into one of the free (or cheap) language classes.

And still - i have to mention boards meetups :P The meetup thread is for a "big" monthly meetup as well as posting something like "i want to go to cinema tomorrow, who wanna join me?" or "bowling on saturday anyone?"-kind of stuff. Whatever would be your thing is probably also someone elses thing. So why not post what u would wanna do at the weekend and see if there is someone who looks to join in. If not, no harm done!

Meetups are meant to be a starting-point only to develop (possible) friendships. It doesn't mean you need to attend them regularly or you can't meet with people ur getting to know there, somewhere else.

I haven't been to boards meetups for very long time, but i did take part of them last year and do still see some people who i originally met through these. So there goes to prove you can find friends through them as well as from anywhere else.

Last but not least... TALK to people! Smile to people! You can join a club or go to a sport event, but if you just stand there without talking and making contact to people, it is unlikely any of them will remember you or that u ever see them again.

If you want to make friends, you first need to put yourself out there somehow in order to meet people.

Don't forget the simplest things like introducing urself at some point. "oh btw my name is Bart" and sticking ur hand out...simple as that!

Lol.... boy, did i get carried away with typing or what...:D

thinking of checking out the next one myself. as said before u have to make the effort. its easier for some people and tough for some. id be the latter but grand once i get going

• Advertisement

kart wrote: »
    As said before by others- it all depends on what ur interests are.

If ur into any kind of sport - anything from swimming to badminton to rugby, find a place to join with. You don't need to be particularily good at any of these, a will to try and have fun would be enough

If your into books, look into your local library and ask if they have a bookclub there. If not, why not create one?

How about volunteering for something? Do u have a charity or cause that ur heart goes out for? A great way to meet people who share a passion for same thing as you. Be it helping a charity or simply helping to clean up seaside...

Interested in learning something? How about a new language? Find someone to "trade" a language you know to a language they know with:) Or join into one of the free (or cheap) language classes.

And still - i have to mention boards meetups :P The meetup thread is for a "big" monthly meetup as well as posting something like "i want to go to cinema tomorrow, who wanna join me?" or "bowling on saturday anyone?"-kind of stuff. Whatever would be your thing is probably also someone elses thing. So why not post what u would wanna do at the weekend and see if there is someone who looks to join in. If not, no harm done!

Meetups are meant to be a starting-point only to develop (possible) friendships. It doesn't mean you need to attend them regularly or you can't meet with people ur getting to know there, somewhere else.

I haven't been to boards meetups for very long time, but i did take part of them last year and do still see some people who i originally met through these. So there goes to prove you can find friends through them as well as from anywhere else.

Last but not least... TALK to people! Smile to people! You can join a club or go to a sport event, but if you just stand there without talking and making contact to people, it is unlikely any of them will remember you or that u ever see them again.

If you want to make friends, you first need to put yourself out there somehow in order to meet people.

Don't forget the simplest things like introducing urself at some point. "oh btw my name is Bart" and sticking ur hand out...simple as that!

Lol.... boy, did i get carried away with typing or what...:D

@ Kart thank you very much for taking so much time and effort to reply to my comment.

Im very grateful for your time and suggestions thanx. Have a nice evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 abizmo

There's also a Cork city pub crawl every week in town. Here's there website - http://corkcitypubcrawl.com/

abizmo wrote: »
    There's also a Cork city pub crawl every week in town. Here's there website - http://corkcitypubcrawl.com/

Cool sounds like fun thanx Abizmo

Advertisement