Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for NQT

• 29-08-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭

After doing some advertising lately and getting applicants, I have some basic advice NQTs need to know
    a) Make sure you address cvs/applications to the right person (I have got things and Dear **** is the principal in the next town
    b) make sure the school name and address is correct when sending cover letters (i.e. make sure you change it from when you last used it)
    c) read the ad. If it says apply by application form, then don't send your blasted cv to me, i want the application form.
    d) don't be lazy. if you email me the application form, I must go print it out. Unless it says to email it, then thats fine.
    e) Turn up for interview in at least a trousers etc, can't believe people turn up in jeans
    f) long winded cover letters are cat. Make sure CVs are written for schools and not detailing all the things you did in the coffee shop 10 years ago.
    g) Don't call yourself Mr or Ms, it looks pretentious. Nothing worse than getting a letter from Mr John Murphy.
    h) Make sure you always refer to the principal and deputy by Mr or Ms etc during the interview process even if they use their first name
    i) Don't give a big synopsis of the Dip. We were there ourselves, make sure you write things that stand out i.e. trained the hockey team!
    Sorry but the basics are seriously being left out by applicants at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I'll add another one:

j) Covering letters should not be pages torn out of a refill pad and written in biro! If you haven't got a pc and a printer, then find someone who has and use theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

oh good one, I have gotten some handwritten things in last few weeks from people who are expected to have everything typed.
    Next one: Check your spellings, you are a teacher!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

TheDriver wrote: »
    After doing some advertising lately and getting applicants, I have some basic advice NQTs need to know
    a) Make sure you address cvs/applications to the right person (I have got things and Dear **** is the principal in the next town
    b) make sure the school name and address is correct when sending cover letters (i.e. make sure you change it from when you last used it)
    c) read the ad. If it says apply by application form, then don't send your blasted cv to me, i want the application form.
    d) don't be lazy. if you email me the application form, I must go print it out. Unless it says to email it, then thats fine.
    e) Turn up for interview in at least a trousers etc, can't believe people turn up in jeans
    f) long winded cover letters are cat. Make sure CVs are written for schools and not detailing all the things you did in the coffee shop 10 years ago.
    g) Don't call yourself Mr or Ms, it looks pretentious. Nothing worse than getting a letter from Mr John Murphy.
    h) Make sure you always refer to the principal and deputy by Mr or Ms etc during the interview process even if they use their first name
    i) Don't give a big synopsis of the Dip. We were there ourselves, make sure you write things that stand out i.e. trained the hockey team!

I can't believe this is necessary... :confused:

I can't believe this is necessary... :confused:

Unfortunately, you'd be very surprised!!! And in some cases, this is only scratching the surface.

Just thought of another one:

i) When laying out a CV, don't use a space bar to space things out and line them up under each other (e.g. results) - it doesn't!! Learn how to use tabs and the tab key.

To those reading this post and thinking that I'm being picky, I'm not. I got a CV hand-delivered today from someone who professed to be qualified to teach IT. I opened the second page and saw the very thing I mentioned above.

A CV is supposed to give a potential employer an impression of you - this one gave me the wrong impression.

oh good one, I have gotten some handwritten things in last few weeks from people who are expected to have everything typed.
    Next one: Check your spellings, you are a teacher!!

And your English as well - don't tell me that "I seen the advertisement in the paper" or that "I done a course in First Aid" etc....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We were always told cover letters should be handwritten-and I have a less than perfect command of penmanship :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Keehar

Asking a dumb question here, but is NQT Non Qualified Teachers?

Keehar wrote: »
    Asking a dumb question here, but is NQT Non Qualified Teachers?

NQT = Newly Qualified Teacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

What about the density of the paper you are using?

Standard printer paper is 80 gsm but I presume you only take 100 gsm paper users seriously.

What colour envelopes do you prefer?

Most of the advice you have listed is not advice at all. It is your subjective opinion as to the way you prefer to receive an application. Not everyone is the same.

Absolutely but when all principals and deputies say the same thing......
    By all means do what you want i am just giving advice on impressions from all the cvs i Get

• Advertisement

Absolutely but when all principals and deputies say the same thing......
    By all means do what you want i am just giving advice on impressions from all the cvs i Get

Same here....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The jobs market is saturated - principals can pick and choose as they like. I'd do likewise myself if I was in the position. If all you have to impress somebody is three pages of paper, wouldn't you do your best to make them a pretty damn good three pages?

Thanks for the advice Delphi91/theDriver.

your more than welcome, its advice that we hope will improve your employment prospects, not waffle at length.
    To musicmental85, it really is that bad and with a saturated market, impressions can go a long way.

Another one I just thought off which pees me off, if the ad says to reply to the Deputy Principal, its commendable when the applicant looks up our names but not when they then send it to the principal!

dambarude wrote: »
    The jobs market is saturated - principals can pick and choose as they like. I'd do likewise myself if I was in the position. If all you have to impress somebody is three pages of paper, wouldn't you do your best to make them a pretty damn good three pages?

Thanks for the advice Delphi91/theDriver.

Thats exactly what I was trying to do.

I don't care whether you use 80gsm or 100gsm Delta, and I don't care what colour envelope you use (but be professional, your are one after all). I do, however, have an issue when someone sends me a typed CV and a covering letter which was torn (and I emphasise the word torn) from a refill pad, with a chunk missing from the top of the page (more than likely still left attached to the pad!). They made an impression on me, but not the right one - "I would like to be considered for a job in your school but I can't be arsed to send you a professional looking covering letter".

Dambarude, yes, it is (unfortunately) a saturated market and that is evident from the number of CV's I get - had two hand delivered today and will get more over the coming days. I already have a box folder full of cvs at the moment, with many of them having the same subjects. A professionally presented CV can often be an initial distinguishing factor when it comes to deciding who to contact.

It's the same if you're delivering your CV to a school. Take a bit of time and make yourself presentable. Don't come to see me if you're on your way back from a washed out Electric Picnic wearing the mud-spattered clothes you wore all weekend! If you get to meet the Principal/Deputy, you'll only see them for a few minutes. You need to make that time count. First impressions really do make a difference when you're meeting me for the first time. Sell yourself, tell me why I should consider you, why I should ignore all the other people who've dropped in CVs with the same subjects as you have and pick you for that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I am a NQT (subjects Maths and Applied Maths) and to me the advice quoted here is obvious so why is it I am getting no replies to my applications? I don't believe the errors in applications listed here are common reasons for NQTs not being successful in gaining a post.

Perhaps if applicants recieved some replies with feedback to their applications then they might put more of an effort into their applications.

Perfonally when I have taken time and wasted money in applying to principals/BOM's demands with applications for bound posted cvs/written applications then I find it extremely frustrating when I do not even receive a curtious 'thanks but no thanks' reply. Seriously school resceptionists are not so overworked that they could not pull together a mail merged letter/email for all applicants.

Good manners need to apply on both sides of the application process!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I've seen a couple of CVs recently for one reason or another, and some are absolutely shocking.

I'd probably add to that point above. Don't detail every single module you ever studied and/or a detailed account of your thesis. There are so many CVs where teachers list off all of these details but don't state anywhere that they are qualified to teach French and Geography (or whatever).

I'm sure a principal/deputy principal doesn't care whether you studied early medieval literature or American literature in first semester of second year Arts. They just want to know if you're qualified to teach English or not. Don't make them work to have to figure out what your subjects are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

When I did my dip a couple of years ago the principal of my tp school offered me some application advice at the end of the year (in lieu of a job!:D)
    • Write the subjects you are qualified to teach at the top of your CV in bold (i.e. at the VERY top beside your name)
    • Include your teaching council registration number in the section with your personal details and also whether or not you have received garda vetting.

The latter has been remarked on in several interviews I had since as being conveniently placed information (teaching council registration is now one of the first things they seem to be asking about)

• Write the subjects you are qualified to teach at the top of your CV in bold (i.e. at the VERY top beside your name)
    • Include your teaching council registration number in the section with your personal details and also whether or not you have received garda vetting.

The latter has been remarked on in several interviews I had since as being conveniently placed information (teaching council registration is now one of the first things they seem to be asking about)

That's a good idea - one of the things I do when filing a CV is to highlight the subjects with a highlighter pen to make it easier later on if I need to quickly find a teacher.

Teaching council registration is a must - I know many people question its worth on here, but it is a legal requirement, so make sure you have it and have the number on the cv/application form

Jane98 wrote: »
    Perhaps if applicants recieved some replies with feedback to their applications then they might put more of an effort into their applications.

Perfonally when I have taken time and wasted money in applying to principals/BOM's demands with applications for bound posted cvs/written applications then I find it extremely frustrating when I do not even receive a curtious 'thanks but no thanks' reply. Seriously school resceptionists are not so overworked that they could not pull together a mail merged letter/email for all applicants.

Good manners need to apply on both sides of the application process!

I appreciate your points but sometimes we advertise maybe 6-7 weeks work and you could get 60-70 cvs. And this could be for a few sick leaves etc. So you can imagine the time flicking through them, there is no feedback to be given with the time we have. It would be ideal to get the sec to send a PFO letter but being honest, ours are already overworked especially at this time of year. Not nice I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chunli_boom

can one of the principals or deputies tell me if it is worth trawling around for schools in a bid to try and talk to a principal etc?I qualified as a teacher last year with history and cspe (granted bad combination) but when I go to schools no one is ever available for a quick chat and I just seem to be bothering the secetaries!

• Advertisement

depends on the school to be honest but definitely circulate your cvs one way or another, thats how you pick up a week or two here there and everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Another hint to add to the list - spell Curriculum Vitae properly. I saw two subbing CVs in the office last year with this spelt wrong! I have also seen letters addressed to the 'principle'.

Use the spellcheck and get someone else (preferably someone who is good at English) to look over your CV and letter before you send it to anyone.

In this day and age, there are no excuses for bad spelling and/or grammar.

Came across this tonight - not education related, but some interesting tips: http://www.fins.com/Finance/Articles/SB131281414544931041/The-Ten-Worst-Things-to-Put-in-Your-Cover-Letter?reflink=djm_emailfinshouse_aug3011_djufr

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭khan86

Principals could do with telling their admin staff/secretaries to read emails and applications more carefully.
    I have emailed my CV to approximately 25-30 schools in my area and explained in a very clear and detailed manner that I am available for subbing and supervision at a moments notice throughout the year.
    I started the cover letter with the sentence "I have just completed the PGDE this year (2010-2011) in....." I received a few emails back saying "We have filled all our vacancies for teaching placement for the PGDE for the coming year...best of luck...blah blah blah"
    They obviously didn't bother to read the rest of the letter and jumped to the wrong conclusion.
    I even included an attachment with a copy of my Proof of Registration with the Teaching Council, Proof of Garda Vetting, and a reference letter from the school I did my teaching placement in last year.
    How on earth would I be registered with the teaching council if I was looking for teaching placement for the PGDE??
    I had to email these secretaries and vice principals back and politely clarify the situation but that's what I got for presenting a perfectly clear, well-laid out CV and cover letter with correct spelling, punctuation and formatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NoelleTh

OP thanks for the advice, any advice is helpful at this stage! I qualified in June and have applied for numerous jobs and heard nothing back from any of them until Monday! I had an interview today for a maternity cover and will find out tomorrow if I got it or not, needless to say I would be over the moon if I got it but to even be shortlisted for the interview was a great feeling I was starting to think I'd never hear back from anyone!

Chin up everyone, it can only get better because it sure as hell can't get any worse!! :p

Advertisement