Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First road bike advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

They're all very similar, but of the of the six listed, the Felt 95 gets my vote, because
    a. it the lightest by about 1kg
    b. it has compact chainrings, all the others have triple chainrings
    c. it looks good

Are you buying online or in a shop?

btw, the link to the Docle Elite doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

Thanks a million for that. I'm hoping to have it delivered up the north to save some cash, although I am a little bit in love with the Trek Lexa S that they have in my LBS.

Here is the link to Dolce Elite one - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/dolce-elite-2011-womens-road-bike-ec023878

I'm presuming it's a better bike because it's got Shimano Tiagra as they are one above the Sora?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Most UK online retailers will not charge much (if any) less for a bike delivered "up north" than directly into the south

Some (Wiggle and CRC) will apply Irish VAT, but even that's only a 1% difference nowadays

I bought one from Evans a couple of years ago when they charged £20 for delivery to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Thanks a million for that. I'm hoping to have it delivered up the north to save some cash, although I am a little bit in love with the Trek Lexa S that they have in my LBS.

Here is the link to Dolce Elite one - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/dolce-elite-2011-womens-road-bike-ec023878

I'm presuming it's a better bike because it's got Shimano Tiagra as they are one above the Sora?

Yes, Tiagra is supposed to be a bit better, maybe a bit lighter, but I think there's very little difference, they're both 9 speed on those bikes and both work fine.

I'm sure most of those bikes would be available in irish shops, it might be worth a look. I wouldn't expect much price difference with online and you might get a few things "thrown in". Better chance of getting the frame size right too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

coastwatch wrote: »
    Yes, Tiagra is supposed to be a bit better, maybe a bit lighter, but I think there's very little difference, they're both 9 speed on those bikes and both work fine.

AFAIK Tiagra and Sora have significantly different shifter designs. Not used either.

Also, Tiagra is moving to 10sp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

Thanks for all the great info, just visited a LBS at lunchtime and the guy matched the online price of the Specialized Dolce Elite. Will have to head up to Wheelwork to check out the Felt bikes.

Advertisement