Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nes reproduction carts?

• 29-08-2011 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Was watching the latest AVGN episode today. Never knew people make NES reporduction carts. So I searched around to learn more. Couldnt really find much.

So how are these carts made?
    I saw RetroUsb selling blank NES cases (here) as well as nes boards ( here )

So whats the process of putting a game onto them? .. Would love to play Wizards and Warriors 3 again on my NES. My origial cart doesnt work anymore :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Was watching the latest AVGN episode today. Never knew people make NES reporduction carts. So I searched around to learn more. Couldnt really find much.

I saw RetroUsb selling blank NES cases (here) as well as nes boards ( here )

So whats the process of putting a game onto them? .. Would love to play Wizards and Warriors 3 again on my NES. My origial cart doesnt work anymore :rolleyes:

Why not just get a NES Flash Cart from RetroUSB - their NES PowerPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I was thinking that. But 135 dollers? but pricey. But I like to have one game per cart :)

oh how does one copy a game over to the cart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I was thinking that. But 135 dollers? but pricey. But I like to have one game per cart :)

oh how does one copy a game over to the cart?

Pretty sure it cannot be discussed on here as per the charter rules on backups, ROMS etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Oh yeah ... well can anyone pm me a link on how to do it?
    google isnt helping me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Reproduction carts are the bane of videogame collecting. I absolutely hate them. There's nothing worse than having to open up classic rare carts just to make sure there are no god damn eeproms inside.

Either -

Buy the original cart and if it's an RPG, change the battery.
    Or put the game on a flash cart.
    Or use emulation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The roms floating about on the internet are burned onto e/eproms, & transplanted onto a compatible cart normally, sacrificing the original game in the process. A nice label is attatched & profit is made, scoundrel type stuff :)

A lot of arcade games are similarly afflicted, CPS2 etc can be dodgey enough at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

That's actually horrific what they're doing to old carts. Surely it wouldn't cost a lot to re-mould carts and factor your own PCBs for the eeproms to go on to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

o1s1n wrote: »
    Reproduction carts are the bane of videogame collecting. I absolutely hate them. There's nothing worse than having to open up classic rare carts just to make sure there are no god damn eeproms inside.

I'd say such diligence was part and parcel with most kinds of collecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's actually horrific what they're doing to old carts. Surely it wouldn't cost a lot to re-mould carts and factor your own PCBs for the eeproms to go on to.

Thankfully in (most) cases, doner carts are junk like Madden. However some repros, (Starfox 2 for example) require particular boards and chips..like the Snes Super FX chip in the case of the above. So for that you'd need a Super FX doner chip. Stunt Race FX is generally the poor game which is destroyed for that purpose.

Varik wrote: »
    I'd say such diligence was part and parcel with most kinds of collecting.

That was the great thing about videogame collecting. Old chinese cart pirates are crap looking and easy to spot a mile off. You could pretty much guarantee that a game was an original without opening it simply by looking at the quality of the exterior.

Not the case now. And it's even more annoying when you're trying to find out if an ebay listing is genuine or not as it's not like you can fly over to the seller and open it up.

Then there are games with labels over shell joins.

Could all be very easily avoided if people didn't make repro pirate carts.

Advertisement