Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the good outweigh the bad here?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

Ok so i would like a few frank opinions on my work dilemma. I know there is a bad recession out there and a lot of people are going to jump on me for being ungrateful etc but only objective opinions please, thats all i ask. Im in my job in the health industry nearly 4 years now. Heres the good:

1. Permanent job
    2. High Salary
    3. Paid Sick leave
    4. Lots of holidays
    5. Work not hard at all.
    6. 5 Minutes from where i live

On the other hand i have been struggling a lot the past year with how boring the job is and how long the day is when theres not much to do, heres the negative:

1. Can get very boring, what with waiting around for work and more projects.
    2. Team Leaders arent too pushed if you are not busy, no incentive to give you work
    3. No chance whatsoever of promotion- nobody above you ever leaves
    4. My boss is a dickhead and very hard to get on with
    5. Workplace is very cliquey and i have one or two people tops i can chat with
    6. Lots of nasty gossiping spreading on a daily basis

Literally at times I have to force myself to work its that boring and dull and has a bad atmosphere at times, but then I know the money is good and the commute short, dont know what to do with regarding maybe getting a new job in another industry, I dont really enjoy the work anymore and the crowd is a bit touch and go. What would you do in this situation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

I am in a job with all your cons bar 1(I am so busy I couldn't really call it boring) and none of your pros,

So in short unless you dont need the cash, stick with it their aint too many out there who rush from their bed every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

I was in kind of a similar situation good job well paid but with no work to do or if there was work it was fairly boring. It used to kill me gettin out of bed in the morning for it. I got on with the people in the office but I wouldnt call any of them friends.

Can you get a job in the same industry but doing something different? Or have you skills that you can apply elsewhere?

What I did was think of the type of job I wanted. Then I knocked up a C.V. that highlighted the skills I have that would suit that particular role and send it out to a load of recruitment agents and stick it up on monster then just wait and see what comes your way. I took 6 months waiting for the right opportunity and now Im in a job I love and I got a payrise out of it too.

Theres no harm in sending out a C.V. to recruiters (apart from having to deal with them!) or updating your info on monster. My one bit of advice if you are going to do it is to leave all your calls go to voicemail when you are in work. You dont want anyone else in the office getting wind that your on the look out for a new job. All recuiters will leave voicemails with their details and you just give them a call back when it suits you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

1. Can get very boring, what with waiting around for work and more projects.
    2. Team Leaders arent too pushed if you are not busy, no incentive to give you work

Are there no eLearning or similar courses you could do?

I'd hate to be hanging around waiting for work so I understand how it's frustrating, but if you've this spare time which the team leads don't seem to care about, then use it rather than just counting down until clocking out time.

Advertisement