Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watching TV/Movies on PS3

• 29-08-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on trying to watch TV shows or movies on the PS3? While we can get some formats (Youtube etc) a lot of websites through the web browser will not work or even play eg couldn't get a programme on TG4's player to appear, let alone work and movies are hit or miss. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this or could help please?

Please note I AM NOT looking to download ANYTHING, just looking to view items.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Know nothing about the tv channels as I rarely if ever watch them but for movies, they have to be a certain file type. avi has never failed me so far. Quality is always excellent as is sound. MP4 files I've found are always compressed to almost half the size of an avi file and as such the picture quality suffers. For .mkv files you'll either need to stream from a laptop/computer or convert the file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Cheers Aaronh007, to be honest its really the TV channels I'm after since I couldn't afford Sky/UPC anymore and went with FTA. So I'm missing loads of the shows I loved like Sons Of Anarchy and trying to watch them from the PS3 rather than my laptop or PC which are a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well RTE player actually has a shortcut on the PS3 menu.

I think there is a way to watch 4OD as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

You can watch RTE player and 4OD via shortcuts which you can download after the last update. You can also listen to BBC radio via the BBCiplayer portal.

As for movies and tv shows you can legally watch these on blinkbox.com some are free and others you can rent/buy. As for other websites just google, you could and apologies to the Mods if I'm over stepping the mark here, use a VPN to watch hulu.com. or lovefilm.com (hopefully we can do this in Ireland at some stage).

PlayTV which I own can be used to act as a PVR for the Irish Saorview service, you can pick it up cheap enough on amazon.

The only snag with livestreaming TV and movies is your internet connection. A good broadband speed preferably by ethernet cable is required to prevent annoying 'buffering' delays, watch your download limits.

Remember to clear your history and cache every so often as this can stop you watching. I watch a lot of shows I missed or am unable to watch since I got rid of Sky and went the freesat route. You won't get any links posted on boards but again google!! can be your searchable friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

How do you get 4OD? I only have RTE, MUBI and FILMY. I don't see an option to install more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

RangeR wrote: »
    How do you get 4OD? I only have RTE, MUBI and FILMY. I don't see an option to install more.

Just go to 4od site, should be able to get it from there. I'm sure that's how I got it. Yahoo "4od ps3" on your ps browser.
    You don't have to log in as a UK account - works on a .ie account too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Great help guys, really appreciate it, thanks a million :)

Advertisement