Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one else on a tall ships leg?

• 29-08-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

So this is thread about our experiences on the Tall ships, the good, the bad, the ugly and those funny stories that you don't want getting home. ;) So guys, no names, only entertainment. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Do people get paid on the tall ships, or is it just a volunteering sort of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Carverkid wrote: »
    So this is thread about our experiences on the Tall ships, the good, the bad, the ugly and those funny stories that you don't want getting home. ;) So guys, no names, only entertainment. :)
    Good idea for a thread, don't know will you get many replies though!! Have been on a few trips myself, was on the Asgard twice before she sank and was due to do the watch leader training, was also on the dutch boat Astrid for the tall ships race in '09. That was an amazing trip. Have loads of stories from it, I'll try think of them all and come back here!!
    Have you any stories yourself? What boats you been on??
    tommyhaas wrote: »
    Do people get paid on the tall ships, or is it just a volunteering sort of thing?
    There are paid and volunteer positions available, depending on what ship it is. I know a guy who I sailed with in the past is spending a year on the Bark Europa as a volunteer deckhand, sailing around Europe and then crossing the atlantic and heading south around South America and down to Antartica. Its something I'd love to do if I can't find work soon. It would be an amazing way to spend a year! I'd happily do it as a volunteer as long as I had a bed and a bit of food!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There was a great program on tonight on RTE ONE called Two for the road.

Eamonn Victory is an amputee from Dunleer, County Louth where he manages the local Centra supermarket. He is a man who has not let his disability impede his thirst for life. He is joined for his journey by former Leinster, Toulouse and Ireland rugby player Trevor Brennan.

Together they embark on a sailing adventure on board The Lord Nelson which is a specially designed sailing boat that allows disabled people to share the experience of sailing. During the winter season, it sails around the Canary Islands. The ship uses a "buddy system" which pairs up individuals to take on specific and necessary tasks on board. Despite terrible sea-sickness, Trevor and Eamonn meet the challenges head on.

fergal.b wrote: »
    There was a great program on tonight on RTE ONE called Two for the road.

Eamonn Victory is an amputee from Dunleer, County Louth where he manages the local Centra supermarket. He is a man who has not let his disability impede his thirst for life. He is joined for his journey by former Leinster, Toulouse and Ireland rugby player Trevor Brennan.

Together they embark on a sailing adventure on board The Lord Nelson which is a specially designed sailing boat that allows disabled people to share the experience of sailing. During the winter season, it sails around the Canary Islands. The ship uses a "buddy system" which pairs up individuals to take on specific and necessary tasks on board. Despite terrible sea-sickness, Trevor and Eamonn meet the challenges head on.

Just had a look at that program there, its fairly inspirational stuff, especially when you have been out there and know how tough it can be for an able-bodied person, it shows what great character some people have to not feel sorry for themselves, just get on with life like everyone else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

Have you any stories yourself? What boats you been on??

I've only been on the one. I was on the Sorlandet for this years leg from Waterford to Greenock in Scotland. Best ten days ever spent and I'm rearing to get back on a ship. :) Main story from that though, pulling up to the Isle of Aran and starting a session in the pub there. I was walking around for a while with my friends guitar as he had buggered off with a young one from another ship! Anyway we came into the pub and everyone started asking me to tune up and sing so I obliged. Had the pub drunk dry before midnight!

As for the Lord Nelson, I saw that one I'm Greenock and some lad in a wheelchair at the top of the main mast! Daft stuff but seriously inspirational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

I was on Johanna Lucretia from Belfast Down to Waterford and it was completely incredible. Best sailing I've ever done.
    There wasn't many of us on board, only eight, but by the end we thought that was better, we all got on so well.
    Overall, incredible experience. Anyone got ideas of what their plans are for next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I'm 16, and was planning on going on the Asgard the minute I was old enough. Then it sank, and it was probably the most annoying thing that I ever saw. I'm feeling fairly jealous of all you guys at the moment :P

What route could I take now to experience sailing on a tall ship? I sail a dinghy at the moment, but I intend on going much further than racing in that every weekend.

Conchir wrote: »
    What route could I take now to experience sailing on a tall ship?

www.atseasailtraining.com

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

alan1990 wrote: »

There are paid and volunteer positions available, depending on what ship it is. I know a guy who I sailed with in the past is spending a year on the Bark Europa as a volunteer deckhand, sailing around Europe and then crossing the atlantic and heading south around South America and down to Antartica. Its something I'd love to do if I can't find work soon. It would be an amazing way to spend a year! I'd happily do it as a volunteer as long as I had a bed and a bit of food!!

how would one get into that sorta thing nowadays with the asgard gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    how would one get into that sorta thing nowadays with the asgard gone ?

http://www.donpedroshipping.co.uk/sailing-ship-jobs.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

Conchir wrote: »
    I'm 16, and was planning on going on the Asgard the minute I was old enough. Then it sank, and it was probably the most annoying thing that I ever saw. I'm feeling fairly jealous of all you guys at the moment :P

What route could I take now to experience sailing on a tall ship? I sail a dinghy at the moment, but I intend on going much further than racing in that every weekend.

You can register your interest on the Dublin Tall Ships Website, they'll email ou when spaces become available

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Some of you might be interested in this they are looking for crew for the 17 th / 18th of september. http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/forum/index.php?tid=656

And for you facebookers http://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Historic-Ships/158543777519252

Advertisement