Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Advertising (maybe cookies)

Options
  • 29-08-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey,

Looking for some help on this one since i'm not a techy!! (think this is the right forum - hopefully :)).

I logged onto a travelrepublic.co.uk the other day to search for some holidays. I then went onto youtube earlier and was looking at a music video and there was an add from travelrepublic.co.uk on the page showing me offers for the place i was looking for the other day!! I don't think this is coincidence!!

Anyone know why / how this happens? And how to stop it?

Cheers for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Its google following your footprint.. i had noticed that with etoro the forex software and another seo analysis tool..
    I would love to know this also please. I assume its a cookie stuck into your reg ..
    Similar to their adense account cookies if your logging into multiple accounts they,ll catch you even if u delete the regular ones. Its like there stuck in the foundations of the pc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

It's a dimension of Adwords called 'remarketing'. As a ‘publisher’ you select pages on your site that you nominate as important for a particular campaign. Adwords remarketing code is placed on those pages. Cookies specific to that promotion (for those pages) are passed to the visitors machine once they visit those pages.

Later. when the visitor is on part of the Google display network,that cookie will trigger specific ads relative to the previous website and, specifically, those targeted pages. ie –

You looked are a travel site and specifically a page for Spain. The page has remarketing code, but its only tagged for Spain. You are on your tube a week later and an ad pops up

“Did you ever book that holiday to Spain – do it now”

That’s poor, but a attempt to illustrate!

Advertisement