Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric shower acting up

Options
  • 29-08-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm having a problem with an electric shower. When I pull the pull cord the light on it lights up. Then when I turn on the shower the light goes off and the water doesn't heat up. Therefore its not working, now when I turn off the water the light on the pull cord goes back on. Nothing us tripping out. Any thoughts on what is going on. It's not a pumped shower, so only a element in.it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Do you have sufficient water pressure..? Both our showers come from the tank in the attic (mains is very low pressure and flow) and can be very sensitive to drops in water "weight/height".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ted1 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm having a problem with an electric shower. When I pull the pull cord the light on it lights up. Then when I turn on the shower the light goes off and the water doesn't heat up. Therefore its not working, now when I turn off the water the light on the pull cord goes back on. Nothing us tripping out. Any thoughts on what is going on. It's not a pumped shower, so only a element in.it.

This is likely caused by a bad or loose connection somewhere, either at the mcb board, or at the pull chord switch supply side.

This bad connection could be a loose terminal, or a contact problem in the MCB/RCD or RCBO, or the bus bar terminal feeding the shower mcb/rcbo could be loose, but the first place to check the connections would be at the pull chord switch, with power off at the MCB board. If its not there, then an electrician should be called to check the MCB board connections. It is a very simple problem for a competent electrician to find.

EDIT. Maybe im reading your problem wrong. Is the light on the pull chord going off when you turn on the shower unit itself, or the light on the shower itself?

Is the water coming out, but not heating, or nothing is happening on the shower?

The make of shower would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Robbie,
    It's the light on the pull cord going out, the light on the shower doesn't turn on at all. Water comes out but doesn't heat up.

It's an old shower called a redring super.

Yea i think maybe the water comes out of them showers even with pull chord off, when you turn the water on dial.

Anyway, once the pull chord light goes off when the shower tries to heat, then it is certaily a connection problem, and it will either be at the pull chord switch itself, or the MCB/fuse board, as outlined in my previus post.

Cheers, i'll wait till the morning for day light. My initial thought was a disgust nuetrel.

• Advertisement

It could be on the live or neutral. As i was saying, it is a very simple problem to locate for a competent electrician with a few quick tests.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    It could be on the live or neutral. As i was saying, it is a very simple problem to locate for a competent electrician with a few quick tests.
    Just a quick update. Discovered the fault was on the pull cord switch. The contacts were faulty. Replaced and its working now.

Thanks again.

ted1 wrote: »
    Just a quick update. Discovered the fault was on the pull cord switch. The contacts were faulty. Replaced and its working now.

Thanks again.

Yea once the light on the pull chord goes out with the shower being switched on, its a bad connection at or before the pull chord.

Advertisement