Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Access Route to Education (DARE)

• 29-08-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone
    I have a question about DARE.I did the LC in 09 and got 305 points buy not doing a scratch and having just turned 17 I was probably too immature doing my LC.I should have repeated but jumped at my second round offer of architectural Technology in WIT losing out to the same course in CIT by 10 points where my cousin got offered.After compleating 1st year about a third way into second year I decided that this course wasn't for me and was something I wouldnt be happy doing for the rest of my life.So I set off to find a new course.I always knew I had Dyslexia as you can probelly tell form the spelling errors and bad grammer but never knew about DARE till about a year after my LC when my best friends girlfriend got accepted into HEAR this was mainly down to the fact that the career guidence teacher being cut from the school (God bless Ireland).Anyway I got assessed and got into the DARE course. The two courses I really wanted were computer systems in UL and computer science in UCC.I really want UL but I did not achive the B2 maths requirment for it.I got offered my place in UCC foe 330 which I am really happy with.I honestly would love to go to Ul because all my friends go there and its close to home which is a major advantage as I had to travel 10 hours on the bus to Waterford back and forth each weekend for matches back home.So I did the UL Maths Entrance exam on Thursday and got an email tonight saying I got over the 75% required and I'm over the moon.Finally my question is could I still not be offered my place in UL if the points rise in the 2nd round offers as they usually do.The course was 340 in round one could anyone tell me the approx amount of points I'd be awarded onto my LC.Thanks a million anyway :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Dowling_04 wrote: »
    The course was 340 in round one could anyone tell me the approx amount of points I'd be awarded onto my LC.Thanks a million anyway :D

Hi, well what happens is that you don't get any points awarded onto your leaving cert. Students who successfully apply for D.A.R.E. get offered places on reduced points. You see each college course has a set amount of places for people who apply through D.A.R.E. I was told by my career guidance teacher that you could get your place on 10 or 15 points on average less than someone who applys without a disability. Ultimately, It's up to the college to decide whether you get the course or not, they pick the D.A.R.E. candidates that are closest to the required points, if you're one of the people closest to those points, you get the place.

Advertisement