Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointment with Ennis UDC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Its most likely that these crossing points are too close to junctions to make them official pedestrian crossing, thus the removal of the such.

As from pic how can that driver see if someone had stepped on the crossing beside the litter bin ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was under the impression that they were told to remove the crossing areas because they were so close together, on speed bumps, just around corners as well as hidden, I thought that because of the drop in traffic around town because of the by-pass and natural traffic calming messures that they were deemed unnecessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

They should pedestrianise O'Connell street permanently. Problem solved. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Abbey Street & O'Connell St. should be pedestrianised, I've been saying it for years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

If I remember rightly they were removed because they were causing confusion. As unsignalled crossings, they did not provide right of way to pedestrians, but that's not what all pedestrians thought!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Clareman wrote: »
    Abbey Street & O'Connell St. should be pedestrianised, I've been saying it for years :)

Amen to that!
    I actually spoke to a trader on O'Connel Street, the topic came to pedestrianization, she was absolutely, dead against it.
    Her argument was that all traders would go bust, no one would go shopping in Ennis anymore and this has been proven in any international study ever done.
    So a lot of fear and ignorance there. But it could only be a good thing, Ennis could do with a boost.

Amen to that!
    I actually spoke to a trader on O'Connel Street, the topic came to pedestrianization, she was absolutely, dead against it.
    Her argument was that all traders would go bust, no one would go shopping in Ennis anymore and this has been proven in any international study ever done.
    So a lot of fear and ignorance there. But it could only be a good thing, Ennis could do with a boost.

Thats the same thing they said two years ago when they tried doing it for a few weekends.

They stopped it then as well and since then what? 70+ businesses have closed in town.

Have they never seen the pedestrianized areas in Limerick and Dublin? They do great business. I for one have never, ever parked on O'Connell or Abbey street. What are there? Like ten parking spots? Are the businesses really going to go under if they eliminate ten parking spots? It's not like there aren't two multi-storey car parks within a two minute walk. It's sheer non-sense, and another reason businesses will continue to go under sure.

Maybe if we are lucky all the eejits who are fighting pedestrianization will go under and be replaced by businesses with half a brain. :)

I was in Galway on Sunday and shop street , Quay street where absolutely buzzing with foot traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

I totally agree with Pedestrianising Ennis, it can only be a good thing. However, a bit of thought needs to be put into it. Last year (maybe 2 years ago) when they tested it, the streets seemed quieter. There was probably the same if not more people around, but with the added space (especially along the wider sections) the streets seemed empty. There was no thought put into trying to create a welcoming atmosphere in the town, just remove the cars and hope it works. This didn't work, and instead of trying a few solutions the town council abandoned the scheme altogether.

Something like the farmers market would add a nice bit of atmosphere along this section (perhaps in the square, and the top of O'Connell street as far as Cassidys Pharmacy). By "Farmers Market", I mean the home produced products, or direct from farm fruit/veg etc, not the lads selling ducks, chickens, clothes, or half price detergents. Ennis has put a lot of effort into building a reputation for high quality boutiques, and I think we should try put that kind of effort into building a space for a high quality market.

Additional seating should be placed outside Brogans Pub, (that area of the street is a sun trap on a nice day).

People seemed to enjoy the new found space of the Pedestrianised streets last time, but used this space to allow them to get in and out of the shops faster, avoiding the usual window shopping that is forced upon them by having to use the narrow footpaths. Something like the market, and seating areas would allow people to slow down and enjoy the atmosphere of the pedestrianised town centre, and still create a safe car free area for shoppers.

In relation to the Pedestrian Crossings being removed, the whole of Abbey Street / O'Connell street is designated as "Pedestrian Priority" which I always took to mean that pedestrians had the right to cross anywhere, not just at the lined out areas, or on the ramps..... am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In relation to the Pedestrian Crossings being removed, the whole of Abbey Street / O'Connell street is designated as "Pedestrian Priority" which I always took to mean that pedestrians had the right to cross anywhere, not just at the lined out areas, or on the ramps..... am I wrong?

How is this indicated to drivers? ..... I don't often drive through Ennis ...

• Advertisement

johnam wrote: »

I have never heard of this.

Under the rules of the road. You must always yield to pedestrians already crossing at a junction. This probably applies whether its a junction or not. It does not give a pedestrian right of way to walk out in front of you as they must also yield to vehicular traffic already on the road/junction except in the case signalled and marked crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

There is a sign on the left hand side of abbey street opposite "Enzos" stating that the area is "pedestrian priority" Not sure what legal standing it has, but the sign is definitely there.

Edit: I drove past it on my way home from work last night, the sign has been turned 90 degrees from where it should be, so it is now facing Enzos, and says Pedestrian Priority Zone - Ramps Ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Pedestrianisation would have an impact. One street is enough. It works in Dublin because you have the footfall.

Closing the main streets during festivals or the odd Saturday is enough. Sure outside of that can't you wait 3 seconds and cross when a car passes.

The traders are all against it. I'm going to trust their opinion on the matter more than the publics. Let's stick with what they want. They're getting hammered on rates and increased parking charges as it is.

Lots of people are lazy. If you make it too hard to get into the town center by car they won't bother and we'll end up with a donut effect like Limerick with everybody in a mall with chain shops and no independents.

Pedestrianisation would have an impact. One street is enough. It works in Dublin because you have the footfall.

Closing the main streets during festivals or the odd Saturday is enough. Sure outside of that can't you wait 3 seconds and cross when a car passes.

The traders are all against it. I'm going to trust their opinion on the matter more than the publics. Let's stick with what they want. They're getting hammered on rates and increased parking charges as it is.

Lots of people are lazy. If you make it too hard to get into the town center by car they won't bother and we'll end up with a donut effect like Limerick with everybody in a mall with chain shops and no independents.

It's the whole planning of the place.
    The idea seems to be "let's take shops, pubs, sports pitches, supermarkets, churches, car parking, housing, roads, farmers markets, schools and everything else and throw it in a huge heap with absolutely no planning whatsoever"
    Ennis for that reason is in mostly absolute chaos, pedestrianization would be a start and any well-planned town (i.e. not one that was planned like a bowl of spaghetti that has ended up on the floor and got trodden on), would have moved the main shopping centers and sports pitches slightly off center.
    That way the town center would be for hanging out, eating out, going out and getting trinkets and ice cream.
    It would be relaxing. Right now Ennis is about as relaxing as a demolition derby.
    And around the town would be for grocery shopping, filling the car up, etc..
    It has to be said that to turn Ennis into a properly functioning town would cost to much in the current economic climate, so it won't probably happen.
    The only thing missing right now is a petrol station on O'Connel Square.
    Then at last we'll have absolutely everything in a heap.

What about Limerick, Galway, and Cork then?

I never shop in Ennis because of the horrible street situation. Bringing a buggy through town is next to imposslbe if there are more than a handful of people out. I have mates in wheelchairs who feel the same way, as do many OAPs. It's easier for them to order online these days, which is why places like Tesco that offer online shopping are cleaning up.

This isn't about you. You have to take into account the fact a large chunk of people here in town have issues outside of traffic crossing, which I might add is another hugh issue for the same groups since the lack of proper crosswalks in town leads to issues for them as well.

That is quite possibly the worst reason I have ever heard to support anything. Support a business because they think something is right? Wer have a whole thread here on how the customer service skills of most businesses in Clare and throughout the country are so bad they actually make people want to shop elsewhere. Letting businesses who had to pay to get a lesson recently telling them they need to smile more decide what is best for the town seems a bit daft to me sure.

Limerick built multiple shopping areas outside of the town centre. Thats a totally different argument. Where exactly do you think they will go outside of Ennis? Are you really suggesting that the ten parking spots on Abbey/O'Connell bring in enough traffic to sustain business? There are two car parks within two minutes walk and two multi-storeys as well. Are you saying people are so lazy they won't use the carparks? The fact these car parks are filled daily contradicts your statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

CptSternn wrote: »
    What about Limerick, Galway, and Cork then?

I never shop in Ennis because of the horrible street situation. Bringing a buggy through town is next to imposslbe if there are more than a handful of people out. I have mates in wheelchairs who feel the same way, as do many OAPs. It's easier for them to order online these days, which is why places like Tesco that offer online shopping are cleaning up.

This isn't about you. You have to take into account the fact a large chunk of people here in town have issues outside of traffic crossing, which I might add is another hugh issue for the same groups since the lack of proper crosswalks in town leads to issues for them as well.

That is quite possibly the worst reason I have ever heard to support anything. Support a business because they think something is right? Wer have a whole thread here on how the customer service skills of most businesses in Clare and throughout the country are so bad they actually make people want to shop elsewhere. Letting businesses who had to pay to get a lesson recently telling them they need to smile more decide what is best for the town seems a bit daft to me sure.

Limerick built multiple shopping areas outside of the town centre. Thats a totally different argument. Where exactly do you think they will go outside of Ennis? Are you really suggesting that the ten parking spots on Abbey/O'Connell bring in enough traffic to sustain business? There are two car parks within two minutes walk and two multi-storeys as well. Are you saying people are so lazy they won't use the carparks? The fact these car parks are filled daily contradicts your statement.

Can you point to any example of a SIMILAR sized town anywhere that has benefited from pedestrianising its main streets? And i dont mean galway or limerick which are cities. I've been trying to find one but have found it hard to find a comparable urban area.

The traders opinion is just as valid if not more so than yours they have a vested interest and an incentive for the town to be busy and vibrant, their livelihoods depend on it. They also deserve to be heard because of the exorbitant rates they are saddled with, something you or I don't pay.

Also wtf has customer service got to do pedestrianisation?

I think the town could benefit from it on the busier saturdays for limited hours and around xmas but full time pedestrianisation is just not going to help anything.

Ennis is a medium sized regional town, o connell is not shop st or cruises st.

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Can you point to any example of a SIMILAR sized town anywhere that has benefited from pedestrianising its main streets? And i dont mean galway or limerick which are cities. I've been trying to find one but have found it hard to find a comparable urban area.

Both are fine examples. Both of their centres are almost the same from a proportional perspective, but that is not the issue here. If you are looking for a exact size town that has tried it, you are looking at the issue from the wrong standpoint. You don't need a perfect match example to prove a point. Using your own flawed logic, can you show me a town that is equal in all ways to Ennis who pedastrianised a shopping area and it didn't work?

You have to look at places it did work and why it works. You can't hope to find some magic place where all things are identical and you can use as a template. If thats what businesses are looking for, then expect more shops in town to close sure.
    The traders opinion is just as valid if not more so than yours they have a vested interest and an incentive for the town to be busy and vibrant, their livelihoods depend on it. They also deserve to be heard because of the exorbitant rates they are saddled with, something you or I don't pay.

Apples and oranges. Traders are getting screwed on the rates and upwards only rent schemes. This has been discussed in detail in multiple threads. It has no bearing on this argument. Because the council is screwing them they have the right to fight against what their customers want? What sense does that make?

If a new local say Chinese opened in town and didn't offer take away and when asked why their answer was 'because rates are too high', you would wonder about them. Trying to use the high rates as a reason to rally against the publics wishes is a strawman argument.
    Also wtf has customer service got to do pedestrianisation?

The customer is always right. Businesses who forget this end up under the hammer.
    I think the town could benefit from it on the busier saturdays for limited hours and around xmas but full time pedestrianisation is just not going to help anything.

My son is in playschool here. Prior to this he was in a couple different toddler groups. I spent many, many hours talking with parents around Ennis in these groups about how much they hated, HATED, shopping in Ennis as it is so hard to get a buggy down the street. It is made worse when you have a couple of children trying to fight your way down narrow footpaths with people pushing past, especially in inclimate weather. I also have friends who have disabilities and are in wheel chairs. I personally have taken them around town. It is a nightmare for them even with someone else there to help, especially when it's even slightly bad out. The same goes for older people who don't move as fast and use walking aids.

Who do you think buys more in town? Young able bodied persons without kids or families and the elderly? Which group consists of a much larger base? Which group spends more on average weekly buying basic necessities?

The current layout stifles the largest groups of consumers in the area. Ignoring this with a 'stay the course' attitude only means they will continue to find alternate means to buy what they need elsewhere. I know my family did, and as long as the conditions there stay the way they are, we will continue.

I am not alone as I know literally dozens of other parents who feel the same. We find it easier to shop online or just go to Limerick once a month for things we need. I would love to pop into town, I only live a short walk away, but I don't because of the hassle it entails.

If you don't have kids or have elderly family members to worry about, then you probably have no frame of reference here. Or maybe you do and you were around in a time where there were no alternatives and soldiered through anyway. These days though there are many alternatives and if the local traders don't cop on the little business that is left here will dissipate as well.

The ages of the tourists that come through are getting older too. Ever watch them get off the CIE buses? Those are people who won't be straying too far from the bus or hotel due to the layout sure.
    Ennis is a medium sized regional town, o connell is not shop st or cruises st.

Again, apples and oranges. Do you really think people just driving through town on Abbey/O'Connell are randomly stopping and shopping here? Your comment sounds like random tourists are passing through and just stopping to buy things they see from the car. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ennis has a bypass. People who shop here choose to do so. O'Connell street isn't just some group of shops in the middle of nowhere than the CIE buses pass by.

People who come here to shop don't turn around and leave if they don't get one of the eight or so parking spots on those streets. Thats what the argument boils down to. Some people are saying that if the streets were pedestrianised, it would somehow hinder people getting to town and parking in one of less than a dozen spots in town, when there are multiple parking areas that are filled daily and offer ample parking just a few minutes walk away.

We are not a town that makes money when tourist drive by on their way to places around the country, we are the capital of the county. If they started to act like it instead of bending to the will of a select few you would see maybe we would be able to reach the levels of those like Shop street.

One thing is for sure, unless people try something different and make some changes we won't even be a town any more. At the current rate we might end up being a small village.

I was once in Clare Co Co doing a job and on one of the desks was a plan that showed Parnell Square pedestrianized, with seating and flowerpots and the like.
    I thought it would be brilliant!
    And move the farmer's market into the car park where Kostelloe's barber is while we're at it.
    Tie all that in with the river walk and you have yourself a nice little town.
    I'd drive in, park my car in one of the many car parks available, be it overground or multi-storey, go for a stroll around town and check out the many shops and cafes, maybe buy a snack and a paper and sit down a little.
    There may even be street cafes, more festivals and the likes.
    A small town like Ennis should not have cars on Parnell Street (already done), O'Connel Street, Abbey Street and Bank Place.
    This plan would not impact parking on a large scale and quite frankly, whoever trader is against that has got to have other reasons, grudge against the town, just being plain awkward or just daft.
    Just remember, if the town council proposed to build a fountain that spews money, people would still object, some people ALWAYS object, because that's what they do because they're bored, want attention or it's their hobby.
    If the majority of people is behind this, this should be done and the rest will just have to get with the program.
    I've been to many villages in France and Germany and the town center is always pedestrianized or cars only have access for people who live there or have business there.
    I'd suggest anyone who disagrees to get themselves abroad and look around, you will see many charming little towns.
    Again, there is no reason on earth Ennis town center should be a main road, it's just daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

@CptSternn
    while I appreciate your points about wheelchair users and access, I would point out that there are far more elderly and others who have difficulty walking any distance which pedestrianisation would impose upon.

I guess I would fall into such a category.

I have never been on Parnell street since it was closed to cars ... except the wee bit I can drive on.
    Likewise with other cities I have visited in Ireland closed to vehicular traffic.

Now if they were to pedestrianise areas, AND supply the means, for those with a problem walking distances, to use an electric scooter or such, I might be in favour of it.

As it is, closing any area to through traffic, where I can be dropped near my destination, or park, means I will never go there.

I see no point in essentially preventing a large section of the buying public from access to shopping areas .... which is what pedestrianisation does unless some form of assistance is provided -- like electric scooter etc.

regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Limerick only has a couple of pedestrianised streets. Cork only has a couple as well. There's no need to go overboard on it. One for a place the size of Ennis is enough. The traders have complained that business was down during the pilot pedestrianisation scheme and maybe it's just because business is on a downward slide at the moment but maybe not. We're at a point in time now where a lot of the independents are struggling so experimentation is risky.

I'm not obsessed with my car I walk everywhere around town so it's not self interest here. I wouldn't go modeling your town after a place in France either. My experience towns of equivalent size in France (and confirmed by a French person I know who moved here) is they were like ghost towns.

• Advertisement

Lets look at this another way. The cresent shopping center or any other shopping center proves that pedestrianised streets would work.

What would be the effect on footfall in these centers if the owners allowed traffic to flow and park inside the malls and had limited/restriced parking outside where people where been charged a premium to use the facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

ger664 wrote: »
    Lets look at this another way. The cresent shopping center or any other shopping center proves that pedestrianised streets would work.

What would be the effect on footfall in these centers if the owners allowed traffic to flow and park inside the malls and had limited/restriced parking outside where people where been charged a premium to use the facility.

Not at all! The Crescent is a Shopping Centre and cannot be compared to a pedestrian street in a city or town! The reason the Crescent works is due to its free car parking, its roof, its shops and its location in a suburb with over 20000 people.

Not at all! The Crescent is a Shopping Centre and cannot be compared to a pedestrian street in a city or town! The reason the Crescent works is due to its free car parking, its roof, its shops and its location in a suburb with over 20000 people.

With the exception of the roof, Ennis is able to provide the rest, its just some vested interests dont want to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

With the exception of the roof, Ennis is able to provide the rest, its just some vested interests dont want to do it.

Yes of course a town with narrow winding streets which evolved around an abbey on an island in the 13th century is the exact same as a planned purpose built 20th century shopping centre on the edge of a city.... ffs:rolleyes:

@captsternn I said a SIMILAR sized town with a population hinterland, I NEVER said "EXACT" as you quoted back to me.
    Town planning is an area where lots of empirical research is conducted there must be detailed studies somewhere on the dynamics determining how pedestianisation works or when it does'nt and why. I would prefer to see this sort of evidence than your anecdotal "evidence" of talking to people which is from a scientific point of view worthless.

As I said before I'm not against pedestrianisation per se, it definitely has its advantages but it is not some sort of panacea and can also have disadvantages.

I really don't see the point of it on a freezing cold Tuesday in November or January when there probably isn't 20 people on the main streets of Ennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Its most likely that these crossing points are too close to junctions to make them official pedestrian crossing, thus the removal of the such.

As from pic how can that driver see if someone had stepped on the crossing beside the litter bin ?

They could have at least notified people of the change, the crossing just disappeared one day without notice. Also if its because the crossing is too close to the junction could someone please tell me which genius in the Ennis UDC thought it would be a great idea to put this crossing ( http://g.co/maps/3xufs ) over by the hospital so close to a roundabout on a blind corner. Gotta be the most dangerous pedestrian crossing in town for both pedestrians and drivers. That whole roundabout is a joke.

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Yes of course a town with narrow winding streets which evolved around an abbey on an island in the 13th century is the exact same as a planned purpose built 20th century shopping centre on the edge of a city.... ffs:rolleyes:
    This is the point of the arguement. Making the streets traffic free as the town currently stands is a useless excercise and will never work until such time as their is amble free parking with quick and easy access in and out of this. This requires business owners and the UDC having to make scarifices in the short term for a gain long term.

There is no way the UDC is going to provide free parking in Ennis let alone invest heavily in creating a managable traffic flow for the town by completely modernising the flow and layout of the town. Look how long its taking to build the much needed inner relief road. Its was planned years ago and it still is not complete.

If the investment was made in modernising the town it will benefit future generations, as it stands Ennis like many other large towns will be become wastelands and just places where people live.

skerry wrote: »
    They could have at least notified people of the change, the crossing just disappeared one day without notice. Also if its because the crossing is too close to the junction could someone please tell me which genius in the Ennis UDC thought it would be a great idea to put this crossing ( http://g.co/maps/3xufs ) over by the hospital so close to a roundabout on a blind corner. Gotta be the most dangerous pedestrian crossing in town for both pedestrians and drivers. That whole roundabout is a joke.

You should try driving in Portugal, crossings at the entry and exit of most roundabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

This is the point of the arguement. Making the streets traffic free as the town currently stands is a useless excercise and will never work until such time as their is amble free parking with quick and easy access in and out of this. This requires business owners and the UDC having to make scarifices in the short term for a gain long term.

There is no way the UDC is going to provide free parking in Ennis let alone invest heavily in creating a managable traffic flow for the town by completely modernising the flow and layout of the town. Look how long its taking to build the much needed inner relief road. Its was planned years ago and it still is not complete.

If the investment was made in modernising the town it will benefit future generations, as it stands Ennis like many other large towns will be become wastelands and just places where people live.

You should try driving in Portugal, crossings at the entry and exit of most roundabouts

I'm always cautious driving around that corner cos I know the crossing is there, but people that aren't aware its there might be inclined to speed up once through the roundabout. Its more dangerous for pedestrians than drivers. Drivers risk getting rear ended coming off the roundabout and having to slow down straight away but its better than a pedestrian getting a slap of a car. Just seems like a ridiculous place to put a crossing, surely it could've been put a bit further down the road.

And (call me crazy here) the fact that cars are not allowed inside the actual mall and you can just wander about the place without almost getting elbowed off the pavement, splashed by cars and having to pass a group of 20 people obliviously nattering on a three foot wide pavement might just have something to do with it.
    I know that there are people in Ennis who love it for what it is, disorganised, chaotic and badly planned.
    The fact that cars are allowed to drive through "a town with narrow winding streets which evolved around an abbey on an island in the 13th century" as someone else put it surely is a sign of insanity in the "planning" process (for lack of a better word as far as planning in Ennis and Clare is concerned).
    As far as acces for disabled people is concerned: That is really grasping at the thinnest whisps of straw after all the arguments have run out.
    There will always be plenty of parking with enough disable spaces near enough where anyone would want to go. If someone can't walk for more than a few meters, how does he/she get around airports, malls, pedestrian zones, large public buildings, etc?
    Other means of getting around and assistance are required in that case, not keeping a 13th century town center open for a handful of people.
    I say it again and anyone who can think beyond the boundaries of Clare will understand it and the others will never get it, Parnel Street and Abbey Street should NEVER have cars on them, it's insane and has a certain whiff of shenanigans about it.
    It would seem that a handful of traders have a few strategic councilors in their pockets and, against the wishes of the wider public, common sense and intelligence, are blocking any moves towards pedestrianization.

P.S.: How about a poll? Then we can really see which way this cookie crumbles.

A poll is a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I completely agree and also disagree that the streets should be pedestrianised;partly because the streets mainly Abbey St, O'Connell Street & Square is way too busy with traffic.
    Parking is a huge problem, where you pay €2 for 3 hours, yeah grand some might think but this looses the town business:
    This is what happens to me:
    I go down to Aldi to get my shopping, run over to Tesco for good coffee etc that aldi don't have and go off home. Aldi have free parking and tesco are convenient by its location and then I wouldn't really bother going near town after that, grand I'd go to the bank but like, its far too busy in the square, expensive (think about it) and takes hassle to shop in town.

If you think of how the town could be improved I think free parking in the following locations:
    •car park down by Queens/bagel factory
    •clare fm, they have moved across the road and still own old place as far as I know but that could be sorted. Btw, cheap parking there beside the church.
    •behind AIB bank the car park there

Remove cars out of the market street corner where it connects out of oconnell street. Put very quick traffic lights in the square.

Sorted.

Advertisement