Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating tire tracks in Ink

Options
  • 29-08-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi Everyone

My question is, what is the best way to make tire tracks in ink? I am at the storyboard stage of a short animation about a bot character moving around a table who knocks over a bottle of ink. I am using Cinema 4D for modelling and planning to use Realflow for the ink. The character, who moves about on wheels, rolls through the ink and leaves a track behind him.

I just wanted to know what would be the best way to create this effect? Would it have to be created seperately in Realflow or could I create this effect in After Effects? Also is there maybe another way of going about creating this effect? Maybe live action?

Many Thanks,
    Pauly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Hay ive used c4d a bit but im not really a 3d guy, but you should go to http://www.c4dcafe.com and sign up they are very helpful.

To register you cant use a gmail/hotmail account tho which is annoying, i had to use like a vodaphone email to get on it. im sure some one can help you over at that place got a few irish guys who work with c4d doing tutorials on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pauly-chops

Hey thanks, I forgot to try my o2 account with C4Dcafe I tried registering with hotmail but they wouldnt allow it. Thanks for the tip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Maybe use an animated texture map?

Make a photoshop image of one set of tracks, then in 3d make a kind of track of face mappable polygons, then have the image file show up on them one at a time.

Argh, I'm explaining the idea really badly!!

:o

An animated texture map, never thought of that! Cheers. Must look into it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm not sure what a good program for doing 2d animation is but you could always do it by hand in photoshop. Make the entire floor area an animated map. That way you could add in some fade in places, give it some variation, etc.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of animating in after effects and doing all the work there but it might be a good idea to add some wear and dirty up the tracks in photoshop first then see what can be done in after effects.

Have the model finalised today which helped alot cos now know excatly how the tire tracks look.

Advertisement