Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visafirst.com

Options
  • 29-08-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi all, today I called Visafirst and booked a place for an upcoming seminar they are holding in the Red cow hotel. Im interested in applying for a skilled visa, has anyone any experience of these seminars and has anyone used visa first for a skilled visa application, all answers much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

They are not held in any high regard around here (do a search and you'll see what I mean), mainly due to their high prices for WHV, and selling stuff you can do for free at a high price.
    But you might get some useful info on skilled migration, but I would certainly shop around before any decisions, also if you read this forum there is tones of info on skilled visa migration.

Most of those seminars are a pure up-sell, so take stuff they tell you with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

No experience of them but if you can read and write and don't mind filling out forms etc do it yourself? Save yourself a lot of money!
    All the info is on the http://www.immi.gov.au website (I presume it's Australia you want to come to?)
    Also sign up to this forum, it's a world of knowledge and people that have done it before.
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

And of course take a look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Go to the seminar, assuming its free, you'll get an over view.
    Decide if its what you want and then take that info away and apply yourself.

Might not be applicable, but getting a WHV first then comign out here on a 12-24 mnoth trial is often a better option imo

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

As the guys say if free go for listen but don't buy anything. Everything you can get for a lot less than they are offering n something for free. The most expensive part is the fee for the visa.

These people are there to make money from you. But haven said that they are good source of info.

As is this forum you'll find lots of us that have been through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. I was having a look around boards for info on VF but no real hits on skilled visa, I did see posts on money transfers and WHV alright.
    Unfortunately WHV is not an option as I am 41:rolleyes:.
    From reading this forum I did check out britishexpats, lots of info, so thanks for that.
    Thing is though that you cant beat talking face to face with someone who deals with skilled visas day in day out.
    Dont know if this is the right forum to discuss this so here goes.

So a quick overview of my situation.

I'm currently employed. I have been employed by the same company for near on 18 years. I work as a electrical senior site supervisor(well thats what it says on my business card). I have just completed a 10 million euro electrical project which I have been on for 25 months. The project before that was a major manufacturing and distribution project (15million euros electrical). Both in Dublin.

I served my time as an electrician with papers to prove it but didnt complete my final exams, this was in a time when you were lucky to have a job during the last recession. I have my exams from midway through the apprenticeship.

Any thoughts on the above.

Regards S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

see to be honest a lot of those face-to-face at those shows are a pure selling, (not all) but a lot of people there will just tell you anything and everything just to get your business. I say this as I know of a few people in Ireland that were stung with a 'pre-skills assessment' fee of around 150euro, so send CV, work history and company X would assess their skills. Not saying they should do it for free, but 150 is extreme.

There are some reputable migration agents around if you do face to face (I went through a migration agent and to be honest I never meet them once - all over email).

From a general POV sounds like you have the skills to qualify for a skilled visa.

Have a look at https://www.mara.gov.au/ and you can find registered agents here (search country = Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You could try

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=435728

Liz is a MARA and a boards.ie member

Thanks for the advice Hussey, you know I was thinking the same, they would promise you the earth moon and stars to get into your wallet:eek: whatever happened to honest independant advice!

Anyway I'll check out your link, think I'll still go to their seminar if only to check out the vibe.

Thanks again

Thanks for that Mandrake, just seen your post. Much appreciated.
    S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 briannorman

went with these 3 years ago for skilled visa. qualified printer, gave them 4,500 up front like an idiot with the promise i'd have my visa within 6 months. they keep giving me excuses like australian embassy changed rules it's not our fault, looking for legal advice now for a refund as obviously no chance of getting visa now. don't make same mistake as me and stay well clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

scubapro wrote: »
    Thanks all for taking the time to reply. I was having a look around boards for info on VF but no real hits on skilled visa, I did see posts on money transfers and WHV alright.
    Unfortunately WHV is not an option as I am 41:rolleyes:.
    From reading this forum I did check out britishexpats, lots of info, so thanks for that.
    Thing is though that you cant beat talking face to face with someone who deals with skilled visas day in day out.
    Dont know if this is the right forum to discuss this so here goes.

So a quick overview of my situation.

I'm currently employed. I have been employed by the same company for near on 18 years. I work as a electrical senior site supervisor(well thats what it says on my business card). I have just completed a 10 million euro electrical project which I have been on for 25 months. The project before that was a major manufacturing and distribution project (15million euros electrical). Both in Dublin.

I served my time as an electrician with papers to prove it but didnt complete my final exams, this was in a time when you were lucky to have a job during the last recession. I have my exams from midway through the apprenticeship.

Any thoughts on the above.

Regards S

Looking at your qulification n work history you should have no trouble getting a visa n job here.

They are on a big Echo drive here at the moment . Green energy with windfarms n the like might be worth taken a look into that. They're looking for people to study it n college so looks like you might have a head start.

I wouldn't bother wiyh agents really . If you have all your papers n work history docs just a case filling out forms n supplying all the docs you have . One thing to keep in mind is you don't get the money back you pay to Oz imergrations even if you don't get it. Thats just to stop every Tom Dick n Harry applying.

Check out the oz imigration website has all you need to know plus just ask us here we won't charge you

went with these 3 years ago for skilled visa. qualified printer, gave them 4,500 up front like an idiot with the promise i'd have my visa within 6 months. they keep giving me excuses like australian embassy changed rules it's not our fault, looking for legal advice now for a refund as obviously no chance of getting visa now. don't make same mistake as me and stay well clear.

Sorry to hear that, I had not made my mind up in terms of using an agent, Wanted to get some feed back from boards and maybe attend their seminar, wanted to hear what they had to say and take it from there. Im gonna contact Liz o Hagen as posted by mandrake and get a consultation at least she is regulated by mara, also as Ozeire has suggested, gonna check out the application for DIY and then weigh up the pros and cons.

Advertisement