Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. WAIVER SCHEME - CAN ONLY APPLY ONCE EACH YEAR?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hey folks! Is the Waiver 90 day visa only available once per year? I'm thinking of going there in October. Is it possible for me to apply / ESTA now for October-December. And then get a second 90 day Waiver for January-March. As both applications will be from different years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's a rolling year, but you'll might well still be ok, unless you've been already this year or plan on going a third time, because two 90 day periods still add up to just under 6 months, meaning you'll still spend more time outside than inside the USA.

However, since there is only a few days/ weeks between the two 90 day periods, there is a chance you'll be denied at the border (ESTA approval does not guarantee they'll let you in at the border) or not given the full 90 days the second time. Prepare by showing ties back home and how you'll support yourself in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Where did you hear this about only being allowed in once per year? I have often traveled twice in a year on the visa waiver program, as have many of my co-workers. But that was a few years ago - has something changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

firefly08 wrote: »
    Where did you hear this about only being allowed in once per year? I have often traveled twice in a year on the visa waiver program, as have many of my co-workers. But that was a few years ago - has something changed?

That's been cleared up. There is no limit to how many entries are made per year. It also seems that the immigration officer on hand has the "power of god" so to speak?

I'm also now looking at the B2 visa. This is the tourist visa for 6 months. There seems to be conflicting reports as to just how much "sufficient funds" are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Gingko wrote: »
    Hey folks! Is the Waiver 90 day visa only available once per year? I'm thinking of going there in October. Is it possible for me to apply / ESTA now for October-December. And then get a second 90 day Waiver for January-March. As both applications will be from different years?

The guy on the desk might get suspicious if it shows up that you spent 90 days in the Stares, came home for a week and then go for another 90 days. I reckon they'd think you were working illegally or something. They sit there every day, I'm sure they know all the tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

The guy on the desk might get suspicious if it shows up that you spent 90 days in the Stares, came home for a week and then go for another 90 days. I reckon they'd think you were working illegally or something. They sit there every day, I'm sure they know all the tricks.

Presley! thats my grandmothers maiden name!! I'm going over to get a stake in Graceland, are ye with me brother?

Think you may be able to cross into mexico for a month or so and return again on another waiver. But hey if not I may just go for the B2 visa! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement