Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Networks on prepay (iphone)

Options
  • 29-08-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I got an iPhone 4 from apple last year so it is unlocked to any network.. currently on meteor pay as you go and I see three are doing a good pay as you go offer with unlimited initernet, free text and calls to three if you top up by 20 quid a month.. I was just wondering is this the best option for a pay as you go customer out there at the moment?
    I know three have a bad rep but I'll be in dublin and I heard the network and coverage is good here as my friends are on it at the moment, plus I cant be screwed too much on a pay as you go contract as I can leave whenever.
    Also does anyone know if you get to keep the 20 euro credit too to spend on whatever or is it like a one month contract every time you buy a voucher? as in you don't have the 20 quid to spend like other networks?.. it doesn't say anywhere on their site.. thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You do get to keep the €20 to use on other calls, as is the guess usually on prepay offers, unless your getting data addons etc.

It might be the best offer for you, but not for everyone. It depends on your needs/ calls you make etc.

Changed the title slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

more of a texter and browser on the phone so it would suit pretty well.. if I get a definite answer on keeping the 20 euro I'll switch tomorrow!!

cuterob wrote: »
    more of a texter and browser on the phone so it would suit pretty well.. if I get a definite answer on keeping the 20 euro I'll switch tomorrow!!

Well I can give you a definite answer now, you keep the €20. And you get 30 days of internet usage, weekend calls, skype calls, 3 calls and unlimted texts from the day you topup. Any 3 store or CPW will port you over in a few hours.

nice one.. I keep thinking there might be a catch but they can't screw me too much on a payg contract!!.. thanks for the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

I was thinking of changing over aswell. My only query is how long that deal lasts for? For example if i sign up tommorrow is the offer only valid until say 2012 or 2013?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Davy wrote: »
    Well I can give you a definite answer now, you keep the €20. And you get 30 days of internet usage, weekend calls, skype calls, 3 calls and unlimted texts from the day you topup. Any 3 store or CPW will port you over in a few hours.

If the phone is already unlocked, is it not a matter of just popping in another sim card? I thought there was no porting involved in pre-pay unlocked phones. Settings will have to be tweeked, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

if you want to keep your old number you'll need to port. If not fire away

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

I was on Meteor PAYG and switched to 3 about a month ago. While their deals seem to be the best value there's a good chance that your port over wont go as smoothly as you had hoped.

Myself and two friends switched over the same weekend and we've had 3 diffrenent outcomes from the switch

Mine (iPhone 3GS) - Port took just under 2 hours which was good. My signal is only about half as strong as it was with Meteor. 3G isn't in half as much places as it was with Meteor. When you switch 3G off and back on to refresh it, you lose your signal completely and get the 'Network Lost' message, forcing a reboot to restore it. I often have voicemails from people claiming that my phone was off when it wasn't.

Friend No1 (iPhone 4) - Port took 2 days. No loss in performance compared to that of the Meteor network. Very happy with his switch.

Friend No2 (iPhone 4) - Port took 4 days. Cannot receive texts from other 3 network customers. I have to contact him through Viber. Can only receive texts from other networks while in 3G areas. Cannot receive calls whatsoever from 3 network users. Has spent pretty much a month on the phone with the customer care centre (located in India I think). Issue still not resolved. He is porting back over to Meteor as soon as credit runs out.

All 3 of us have factory unlocked iPhones.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Sorry to hijack this thread but i just filled out the form on the 3 site to port over and i'm just wondering do i keep my old sim in my phone or the new 3 one so they can contact me? I'm also wondering does it usually take long for them to call you back to verify things? I got the confirmation e-mail about an hour ago and would like to have it sorted before this evening if i can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

keep your old sim in the phone until they've rung

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

cookie1977 wrote: »
    keep your old sim in the phone until they've rung

Lovely i had the new one in for the last hour. Thanks cookie

been waitin since wednesday to port over after been told it wud take 2 hours..been in the shop 3 times and countless phonecalls to india and still nothin.. if it aint working tomorrow i'm goin and changin back to meteor or just changing my number completely on three which i dont really want to do..been without a phone effectively since wednesday.. pile of shiite

it keeps just sayin restricted network on my phone

Are you still using your old sim card? And that is the one giving you the error message?

nope..my old sim doesnt work and my new one doesnt either.. my meteor number is stuck in limbo.. all the people in india are telling me is 'did u try to turn it off and on'.. goin again to the 3 store today(for the 4th time) if it isnt fixed at 5pm i'm changin back or gettin a new 3 number altogether.. is there anything in the way of compensation i can get? they originally said it'd take 2 hours to do on wednesday morning and i've missed calls from work etc because of this incompetent crowd

working now..only took 4 days :rolleyes: better coverage than meteor it seems where i am.. also better 3g

Advertisement