Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Runs a Competition in all cities except Waterford

Options
  • 29-08-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

As usual Waterford is ignored in favour of the other cities.

Hate moaning about these things but the E.S.B. ran that Electric Ireland competition over 5 days where you had to track down a fella in a blue suit to win Electric Picnic tickets.

The Competition was in Dublin on Monday, Galway on Tuesday, Limerick on Wednesday, Cork on Thursday, and naturally enough back to Dublin on the last day Friday. To be honest I was expecting it.

It gives me another reason not to have the electricity supplied by them.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moving to the ESB Forum, they have official reps who can answer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

More of a rant than a question but I would like an answer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

hearny wrote: »
    More of a rant than a question but I would like an answer.

I'd like to know myself, and I am not sure if they can post outside of their respective forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Yeah I was pissed off by this as well, waiting all week for them to come to Waterford and then they went to Dublin. Fair enough I know there's a million people living around Dublin so by all means have a few competitions up there, but why single Waterford out when they go to Cork, Galway and Limerick.

There was a lot of people living in the country who were pissed off too. You can't really blame them when they have images like this on their Facebook page. I mean why put Waterford, Wexford and Sligo in the image, if you're not going to be going there. That's just going to give people false hope

318355_270590336299753_179839132041541_1091570_4767500_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Is Waterford a city .

I like circles

• Advertisement

Exactly, I can only assume they pissed a lot of people off with it and I know there were a lot more places that didn't get a look in besides Waterford but we were the only city that was passed over.

I hadn't seen that image but it would have annoyed me more if I had.

They should really have devised a plan to give the entire country a chance without having to take a day off work.

Ha I knew someone would start with the city jeers.

I like circles too, should we list out more things we like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Ha I knew someone would start with the city jeers.

I like circles too, should we list out more things we like.

I really had no idea its a city or maybe I done but never noticed and just thought it was something said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Forget electric picnic OP, we have Jedward in October :D

I really had no idea its a city or maybe I done but never noticed and just thought it was something said.

That proves the point really, we are left out of everything, even the TV3 weather doesn't even have us on the map.

Yeah Waterford is a city, a small city it has to be said but its still a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Waterford was the first city in Ireland, a fact that seems to be lost on a lot of people. Its also the first place the tricolour was flown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Mark

Hello everyone,

We understand that there may be some disappointment regarding the Tweethunt not coming to particular areas. The signpost was merely intended to keep people guessing as to where Sparkhead might turn up. It was never intended to mislead or give false hope.

We did try to cover as wide an area as possible, but it would be impossible to reach everywhere and this was one of the reasons we held a draw the previous week where we gave more Electric Picnic tickets away.

Mark

Mark,
    I don't think people are annoyed it didn't go to towns like Tramore, or Roscommon. Even places like Cavan or Longford. But when the ESB runs the competition in the majority of citys and excludes Waterford, its a tad insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As usual Waterford is ignored in favour of the other cities.

Hate moaning about these things but the E.S.B. ran that Electric Ireland competition over 5 days where you had to track down a fella in a blue suit to win Electric Picnic tickets.

The Competition was in Dublin on Monday, Galway on Tuesday, Limerick on Wednesday, Cork on Thursday, and naturally enough back to Dublin on the last day Friday. To be honest I was expecting it.

It gives me another reason not to have the electricity supplied by them.

At least they went South. There was nowhere North of a line from Dublin to Galway! :mad: Same applies to many companies - Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and to heck with the North of the country.

As for being a reason not to use them as a supplier - Grow Up for goodness sake. :p

Sully wrote: »
    Mark,
    I don't think people are annoyed it didn't go to towns like Tramore, or Roscommon. Even places like Cavan or Longford. But when the ESB runs the competition in the majority of citys and excludes Waterford, its a tad insulting.

What makes Waterford so special? The whole county only has a population of 62,000. Cavan has 64,000. Louth has 111,000.(All ignored by Electric Ireland) Of course people are annoyed that it didn't go to their area! Don't dis Cavan or any other part of the country in favour of Waterford. We have feelings too.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

At least they went South. There was nowhere North of a line from Dublin to Galway! :mad: Same applies to many companies - Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and to heck with the North of the country.

As for being a reason not to use them as a supplier - Grow Up for goodness sake. :p

There are people living North of Dublin / Galway??? Weren't they killed off the ice age?

As for not using them as a supplier, I presume you'll just be disconnecting from the grid then?

What makes Waterford so special? The whole county only has a population of 62,000. Cavan has 64,000. Louth has 111,000.(All ignored by Electric Ireland) Of course people are annoyed that it didn't go to their area! Don't dis Cavan or any other part of the country in favour of Waterford. We have feelings too.;)

They visited pretty much all cities bar Waterford. We are not talking about towns or counties, which they cant visit all. Just the fact they ignored Waterford and went to most other cities.

Sully wrote: »
    They visited pretty much all cities bar Waterford. We are not talking about towns or counties, which they cant visit all. Just the fact they ignored Waterford and went to most other cities.
    The term "City" is meaningless. It's the population base that's important. There are very big "towns" out there, you know. Just because an urban area has a city charter does not make it special in any way.:rolleyes:
    I'm in agreement that they were not fair in their spread nationwide but let's not get caught up on those with "city" in the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Those figures are completely incorrect. The population of Waterford is over 100,000.

What makes us special is our ability to read the census. (And we are one of the 5 largest 'urban areas', which are also known as cities)

dayshah wrote: »
    Those figures are completely incorrect. The population of Waterford is over 100,000.

What makes us special is our ability to read the census. (And we are one of the 5 largest 'urban areas', which are also known as cities)

The most recent figure I had to hand was 2006 - my apologies. Louth and Cavan are actually much higher now. The point however still holds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Waterford, my friend, is the oldest city in ireland. Predating even Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

let's not get caught up on those with "city" in the title.

Why so? Two cities within 60 miles of each other (Limerick/Galway) get a look in. But Waterford - the South Eastern capital - does not? I will be leaving ESB as soon as possible because of this.

Advertisement