Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking wars: Limerick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Some of you people have daft notions. Everybody pays for parking in every city and the I wont walk outdoors in the rain is another BS arguement. Dublin, Cork and Galway all have pedestrianised streets and multistoreys like Limerick, difference is people in Limerick are just tight asses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

kilburn wrote: »
    Some of you people have daft notions. Everybody pays for parking in every city and the I wont walk outdoors in the rain is another BS arguement. Dublin, Cork and Galway all have pedestrianised streets and multistoreys like Limerick, difference is people in Limerick are just tight asses.

Water-tight? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

spot on. To clarify my original post - I feel stupid for paying in limerick, when so many just lash cars wherever they feel like, for free. I have no problem paying for parking in galway, cork, or Dublin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

What's the fascination with the open air car park on ellen st/michael st junction?

There is always a queue of cars blocking up traffic to get in there. Is it dirt cheap or is it just for people who are afraid of multistories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

What happens when this private firm are no longer making money from parking tickets because everyone parks legally. We pay the difference ya? Capital idea, when do they start?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I think it's a great idea to make a company's CEO rich at the expense of local tax payers.

Councils don't tend to make any money from the outsourced services and like the Limerick tunnel have to pay the company extra if the expected fines, clamping or traffic flow does not materialise ~

It's a joke ~ and IMO it's live and let live, double yellow lines are everywhere, it's stupid. One should put DDLs only where it is important, put too many and people start to ignore them.

It's a sign to any sane person that parking must be facilitated and encouraged ~ parking is business, like it or not.

My own City Council have embarked on a series of suicide pedestrianisation schemes in the past, most are undone because the areas became ghost streets.

Giving a private company money that should be recouped in fines is just plain stupid ~ and next year they will have to raise the service charge for providing this serve too ~ so it's up you guys ~ you voted them in ~ but be notefull you did not vote in your city manager or his staff who have executive powers ~ another nonsense for another day but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Bet you Park Magic get this contract. They are making feck-all with their various "pay for parking" schemes at the moment. These schemes were simply a means of getting in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

gbee wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea to make a company's CEO rich at the expense of local tax payers.

Councils don't tend to make any money from the outsourced services and like the Limerick tunnel have to pay the company extra if the expected fines, clamping or traffic flow does not materialise ~

It's a joke ~ and IMO it's live and let live, double yellow lines are everywhere, it's stupid. One should put DDLs only where it is important, put too many and people start to ignore them.

It's a sign to any sane person that parking must be facilitated and encouraged ~ parking is business, like it or not.

My own City Council have embarked on a series of suicide pedestrianisation schemes in the past, most are undone because the areas became ghost streets.

Giving a private company money that should be recouped in fines is just plain stupid ~ and next year they will have to raise the service charge for providing this serve too ~ so it's up you guys ~ you voted them in ~ but be notefull you did not vote in your city manager or his staff who have executive powers ~ another nonsense for another day but.

WOW, did you not read anything in the OP? The council will contract the company on a fixed price for the year. The council will get the revenue from the fines, and everything will continue as normal. The tunnel is a completely different kettle of fish, with a completely different contract.

This kind of hysterical posting and speculative mis-information causes more problems than it solves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Dublin, Cork and Galway all have pedestrianised streets and multistoreys like Limerick, difference is people in Limerick are just tight asses.

Bullsh1t, people from limerick are the same as people anywhere, they want convenience when it comes to parking, have a look around town and see the huge reduction in on street parking spaces.

People are habitual, and when some muppet in an office decides that it would be nice to have trees in a city center so we can be more like Paris and sit outside drinking espressos in the p1ssing rain, while removing a car parking space that Johnsy been using for years to collect his sausages on a Monday evening, then what do you expect?? Johnsy aint gonna park in no multistory carpark, pay for it and walk half the friggin town, hes off out to the cresent.

Talk to shop owners in the center of town, see how happy they are about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Walk half the town you cant get more central than Thomas St, Denmark St, Cornmarket and Athurs Quay car parks. You dont like trees do you not thinks Thomas St and Bedford Row are now much better ?

The point is the same whiney people here who are too mean to pay for parking and go to the crescent for free parking are the exact same clowns that complain that the city centre is dead, all the shops are closing and its a ghost town. Well if you werent so mean to pay 1.60 for an hour in a multi storey or 2 bucks for a 2 hour disc plenty more shops would be open and people would have kept their jobs.

The i cant be dragging my shopping bags around town is crap aswell, late night shopping, free on street parking, get the bus or here is a mad suggestion try walking or cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Walk half the town you cant get more central than Thomas St, Denmark St, Cornmarket and Athurs Quay car parks. You dont like trees do you not thinks Thomas St and Bedford Row are now much better ?

The point is the same whiney people here who are too mean to pay for parking and go to the crescent for free parking are the exact same clowns that complain that the city centre is dead, all the shops are closing and its a ghost town. Well if you werent so mean to pay 1.60 for an hour in a multi storey or 2 bucks for a 2 hour disc plenty more shops would be open and people would have kept their jobs.

The i cant be dragging my shopping bags around town is crap aswell, late night shopping, free on street parking, get the bus or here is a mad suggestion try walking or cycling.

Basically what I was trying to say but the same old whiners came on saying there are no parking facilities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    What's the fascination with the open air car park on ellen st/michael st junction?

There is always a queue of cars blocking up traffic to get in there. Is it dirt cheap or is it just for people who are afraid of multistories?

I can see that queue from my office window and it's 95% ladies. Possibly they don't like parking in the multistories but I wish to feck they wouldn't block up the whole junction when they're sitting on Michael street waiting for a space. It nearly come s to blows there sometimes, particularly when Taxi's are caught waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

• Don't you think the shop owners are paying enough in rates?
    • Why charge their customers for coming to purchase their wares?
    • Obviously this discussion would be null and void if the system worked, the fact that there are people complaining means it doesn't work.
    • And just because people air their views on a forum DOES NOT JUSTIFY you calling them 'whiney people'.
    • And for the record 'Mr holier than thou' I cant use ANY of said carparks because of what I drive. Loading bays are usually full of cars, but I don't blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Are people actually trying to complain about having to walk around the city, Limerick that is? It's like 4 streets, swear you're talking about London.

Get a grip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Xennon wrote: »
    Bullsh1t, people from limerick are the same as people anywhere, they want convenience when it comes to parking, have a look around town and see the huge reduction in on street parking spaces.

People are habitual, and when some muppet in an office decides that it would be nice to have trees in a city center so we can be more like Paris and sit outside drinking espressos in the p1ssing rain, while removing a car parking space that Johnsy been using for years to collect his sausages on a Monday evening, then what do you expect?? Johnsy aint gonna park in no multistory carpark, pay for it and walk half the friggin town, hes off out to the cresent.

Talk to shop owners in the center of town, see how happy they are about this.

You're right. We are indeed a nation of sausage collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Rubbish, sorry to say that, we in Cork consider DYLs as reserved parking for us and we've been know to abandon cars across the entrances to multi-story car parks.

Yes we do have a sense of humour, but enough is more than friggin enough ~ as I've mentioned, a lot of this codoligy has been reversed in many town.

It's not the Limerick people TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Resi12 wrote: »
    Are people actually trying to complain about having to walk around the city, Limerick that is? It's like 4 streets, swear you're talking about London.

Get a grip!

Finally, some perspective.

Advertisement