Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

catching squid......

Options
  • 30-08-2011 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

so i was out fishing for mackerel in salthill on the rocks with my friend very few mackerel but 1 man caught a squid. it was about a foot long with its tentacles but he said that you cant eat them so he threw him back in but failed and it fell in the rocks so was probably dead. then about an hour and a half later when i was about to leave got a tugg and what was it... another squid again about a foot long. so wen i pulled it out of the water and it was sprayin water or somthing (i think its what they do to defend themselves) so what i was wonderin really is what were the chances of me catching this and are the eadible or would these have been too small?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

mikeyod123 wrote: »
    so i was out fishing for mackerel in salthill on the rocks with my friend very few mackerel but 1 man caught a squid. it was about a foot long with its tentacles but he said that you cant eat them so he threw him back in but failed and it fell in the rocks so was probably dead. then about an hour and a half later when i was about to leave got a tugg and what was it... another squid again about a foot long. so wen i pulled it out of the water and it was sprayin water or somthing (i think its what they do to defend themselves) so what i was wonderin really is what were the chances of me catching this and are the eadible or would these have been too small?
    thanks

cant eat squid :eek: best one i've heard yet.. he obviously never ate calamari!!

when it sprays water that's just how they propel themselves in the water, they use ink as a defense, but more as a distraction so they can get away.

havent heard of them being caught this close to shore in the bay, but i have caught them out on a boat within casting distance from the shore further down the west coast..
    and yes.. they are edible.. yummie too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

They are great to eat !

This is what you need to catch them. We usually fish from a boat, get the lure to the bottom and get the rod up and down quickly.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNrvuEpzMej6rJE42z5CPy7edK4vJbmekEQ-PxAkhizaRJfkTInhhK8UlO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Was it squid or a cuttlefish? Do you have a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

no pictures but im pretty sure its a squid because ive watched programs about them but there were another 2 caught 2day and i only saw 3 mackerel.
    is it just the tenticle things you eat or more?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

mikeyod123 wrote: »
    no pictures but im pretty sure its a squid because ive watched programs about them but there were another 2 caught 2day and i only saw 3 mackerel.
    is it just the tenticle things you eat or more?
    thanks

Cleaning squid 101 :D

-Pull the tentacles away from the body of the squid.
    -Feel inside the body for the quill (it resembles a shard of plastic). Pull it out of the squid and discard.
    -Rinse inside the body of the squid in cold water.
    -Pull the ears (wing-like flaps) from the body. Pull the purplish skin from the ears and body to leave only the white meat.
    -Cut the tentacles away from the guts by slicing just below the eyes. Check the centre of the tentacles for the hard beak, which can be discarded. (Discard the guts of the squid or, if desired, retain the ink sack to use in seafood pasta or risotto.)
    -Either slice the body of the squid into rings, or cut down one side of it, open it out, scrape away any traces of guts left inside the body, then score the inside lightly in a cross-hatch pattern.
    -Dry off the squid before cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 bofster

My brother in law was fishing for mackerel from the high cliffs south west of Kilkee, he landed two fine squid (Loligo Vulgaris) using mackerel feathers, the catch was made in a dusk just at the end of September. I wonder if there might be a commercial fishery using lights. I noted that that the females seemed to have well stocked ova sacs.

Advertisement