Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway band The Fuze

Options
  • 30-08-2011 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I remember their hit "Sunday Morning", way back in 1981. I loved the song. Me and a mate had it on 7" vinyl. I have spent the last few years searching for them on the web but with no luck - until someone reminded me they were called "Fuze", not "Fuse". That opens up a bit of info and even a youtube vid or two.

So, having found them on the web, I am learning that they were from Galway. I wonder are any of them on boards? or do any boardsies here know any of them? What happened to them? Where are they now?

Here's an Irish rock classic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

The drummer is mike arrigan they re-released their stuff on cd a year or two ago he still plays around galway

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Found this on the galwaynews.ie website. I remember reading about a reunion in the City Tribune, it was four years ago (2007) ...

Blast from the past

October 12, 2007 - 1:58pm Fuze release album 25 years later

They once tossed a coin with U2 to see who would headline a UCG ‘Tramps Ball’ at Leisureland, but this week Galway band The Fuze finally get to release the debut album they always dreamed of making . . . a full 25 years after their hey-day.
    For just a couple of years, from late 1979 to 1982, the New Wave five piece were regarded as the finest (if not the only) rock band in Galway and regularly filled venues such as The Castle and Smokey Joe’s.
    They attracted large crowds to their live shows in ballrooms and pub venues throughout the West and North of Ireland and received a huge amount of airplay on 2FM (then RTE Radio 2) when their second single, Sunday Morning, did well in the Irish charts.
    It cost the band members over €6,000 to release the album, which has a limited run of 1,000 copies, and they are hopeful that it will trigger happy memories for former fans of the band. They are not expecting to storm the charts, but there is a quiet satisfaction among the band members that they’ve finally brought out the album which was their pipe dream back in 1980 and 1981.
    A Blast from the Past will be available in six record stores around the country, including Redlight Records in Galway, from this Friday (October 12).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TDhFeXYJEr0/SxluRJGo_1I/AAAAAAAACiU/liE4ugkiAMc/s1600-h/reunion09fuze2.jpg

Here's a pic of them from a gig they did two years ago at an NUIG reunion event. I often see Pat Coyne collecting his kid from Gael Scoil Mhic Amhlaigh, where my own kids go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Fascinating stuff. I loved that single. EWe used to play it to death. The video looks incredible now in these days of cash and cgi. I bet they had a ball making it, and I reckon it cost moreorless nothing :D

Great band, and as it happens I would have been at NUIG 2 years ago. Shame I missed the reunion gig.

• Advertisement
Advertisement