Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live in an apartment and noise from within the complex is keeping me awake constantly

Options
  • 30-08-2011 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Are there any companies out there that will come out to my apartment and do some kind of report as to how I can dampen down sounds coming into my apartment?

Where i live there are loads of balconies within 10/15 metres from my apartment. Every time there are people on these balconies at night time they keep me awake with shouting/singing/partying etc... it's becomming unbearable and very stressful. Are there any companies that can advise me on what I can do to dampen down/eradicate outside sound?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

are you renting or the owner?

you should report this to the management company anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Have you tried foam ear plugs? They're pretty effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the management agent is your first port of call.
    The house rules will state that this activity is not allowed, and the agent is responsible for the enforcement of this.

We only have very occasional issues in our complex, and they are tackled by the agent by a letter in the first instance and a phone call to the landlord of the properties breaching the houserules.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

I feel your pain!
    Im living below an apartment that has wooden floors throughout and the noise is non stop all day long. Its driving me insane!
    I'd love to hear also, if their are companies out there who can advise on reliable soundproofing etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Fonzy it should be in your leases that upper floor apartments cannot have wooden floors. It is in all I've heard of. If so your first port of call is your management agent if you are an owner and your landlord if you are a tenant.

OP, if the noise is in the common area...as has been said already, contact your management agent. Noise rules in a development extend to balconies and patios, there should be time limits on when it is acceptable that noise can be heard in other units...breach of this should be acted on by the MA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

athtrasna wrote: »
    Fonzy it should be in your leases that upper floor apartments cannot have wooden floors.

Not true. While some apartment's have that in their lease I wouldn't say it's the norm. Mine certainly doesn't and both I and my neighbour upstairs have wooden floors. Due to the build quality, it's impossible to hear neighbours upstairs so there is no need for a restriction on floor type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I think this is just something you'll have to get used to OP. This is the reality of living in close proximity to other people! I use earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Flat surfaces let more noise through than surfaces like carpet/ thick curtains/ rugs.

Advertisement