Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad Diploma in Sience in Cloud Computing

• 30-08-2011 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is anyone else doing this course. Also what should I expect on the induction day?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

I'm also starting this. Looking forward to it :-)

As regards induction; apparently the sessions on the library/IT/services are exactly the same as the ones the full time students are getting; but there will be also more targeted stuff just for us, as its a smaller group. I may not be able to attend on the 10th, but admissions told me I could attend any of the full time student orientations and register then as well if I needed to. So it seems to be fairly generic stuff.

This is useful, if you haven't seen it. Quite the reading list :-)

http://courses.ncirl.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/1288

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

clubcrown wrote: »
    I'm also starting this. Looking forward to it :-)

As regards induction; apparently the sessions on the library/IT/services are exactly the same as the ones the full time students are getting; but there will be also more targeted stuff just for us, as its a smaller group. I may not be able to attend on the 10th, but admissions told me I could attend any of the full time student orientations and register then as well if I needed to. So it seems to be fairly generic stuff.

This is useful, if you haven't seen it. Quite the reading list :-)

http://courses.ncirl.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/1288

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it and yes its quite a reading list. Just got an email today about the induction and it looks like a busy day. I will be glad when the BBQ comes in the evening lol.

I am also looking forward to the course and I know there will be a long hrad year ahead of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm starting this as well.

I just finished the H Dip in Web Technologies at the NCI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lisa007

There was no BQ! Or did I leave too early?

lisa007 wrote: »
    There was no BQ! Or did I leave too early?

Apparently there wasn't. Orientation was a bit of a joke in my opinion; people doing a postgrad in an IT subject don't really need to be told how to change a windows password :confused:

Could have quite easily left after registration, the IT session was a waste and the academic writing bit was ok, but not really essential.

Hope its better next week:)

• Advertisement

first night was pretty painless. but dont be deceived:-)

I guess wednesday is going to be tricky then :-)

clubcrown wrote: »

I guess wednesday is going to be tricky then :-)

wont make it wednesday. the thing thats needed is to keep up with the labs and reading.
    found that with last years h.dip. fall behind and ur sunk.

Well, no reading so far, unless you count the history of javascript :-) I assume they'll start throwing journal stuff and book lists at us from next week. What was the library like for books last year? I only had a brief look in there but it seems more business orientated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Howdy Y'all... hows life... By the looks of it ... we are with the MSc peoples for the entire journey... What would peoples thoughts be to set up some sort of blogspot page or something... to chat about course work????... This seems like its going to be a fun but tough course since there's 70+ in our class...

Lets know peoples thoughts about a blogspot page or Im open to other suggestions... BTW..

• Advertisement

Might be a good idea if we make ourselves known to each other.

I was the guy with glasses who was the first to mention the H Dip in Web Tech last night. I wont give my name on the public forum but am happy to answer a pm.
    :D

Might be a good idea if we make ourselves known to each other.

I was the guy with glasses who was the first to mention the H Dip in Web Tech last night. I wont give my name on the public forum but am happy to answer a pm.
    :D

Yeah, send me a pm as well :-)

@ clubcrown == done
    @ tatranska == done

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Traditionally things like this lead to a mini boards beers;)

Hell Yes :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Howdy Y'all... hows life... By the looks of it ... we are with the MSc peoples for the entire journey... What would peoples thoughts be to set up some sort of blogspot page or something... to chat about course work????... This seems like its going to be a fun but tough course since there's 70+ in our class...

Lets know peoples thoughts about a blogspot page or Im open to other suggestions... BTW..

I think a blogspot page is a great idea. I am the guy who when had the mic said I worked 12 years in a Business College. Looking forward to tonight and also our BBQ on Saturday.

Someone asked about parking...Its €3.50 for the evening after 5.30. not€3.50 per hour as stated somewhere else.

enjoy your evening.

Btw. I've emailed Aimee about getting the air con working in the theaters.

How did last night go ?

was it difficult to get the environment working ?

How did last night go ?

was it difficult to get the environment working ?

Good enough, you missed intro to ruby which was easy enough and Vikas giving an overview of the deployment stuff coming up.

Seems like most people don't have the environment working, but give me a shout if you want a hand

• Advertisement

Advertisement