Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good name for new Rottweiler pup?

• 30-08-2011 3:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I was thinking Shadow, Dexter or Charlie maybe.

What do you call your dog?

I'm a week trying to pick one and it's really annoying when he's doing something he shouldn't be and I'm like come 'er ehh.....dog!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My aunt has a rottie called Yogi :)
    He's as gentle and dopey!

Try out a few names that you like and see if he responds better to one - that's how we named our Daisy (that was the main name she responded well to).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

I have 2 rotties,
    one called fibi, and the other chara..

if its a male dog just call him "fella"..
    or D-for..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

kennyw wrote: »
    I have 2 rotties,
    one called fibi, and the other chara..

if its a male dog just call him "fella"..
    or D-for..

Or D4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ive 2 rotties and they are called Cooper and Flo :)

Some other rotties i know are called:
    Mojo, Shadow, Simba, Dexter, Kobe, Nico, Odin, they are all male names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

what about....

Khan
    Rio
    Jaws
    Kaiser
    Zoro
    Escobar
    Franz
    Hendrix
    Obi
    Ripley
    Nero
    Elmo
    Blitz
    Rocky
    Murphy
    Bailey

Rocky is my personal fav :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Dennis

I have to say Cocker, i hate those type of names for rotties:o, ie Rocky, Kaiser, Jaws etc, think they have bad enough press without given a name like that.

Also the amount of Rotties i know called Roxy and Tyson is ridiculous, come up with something original i think ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I was thinking Shadow, Dexter or Charlie maybe.

What do you call your dog?

I'm a week trying to pick one and it's really annoying when he's doing something he shouldn't be and I'm like come 'er ehh.....dog!:rolleyes:

Out of the three you chose - Shadow (IMO) is the best!

I really like manly god names for large male dogs (Norse mythology has some pretty good ones in particular) - Odin, Thor, Fenris, Hades...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

We had a Rottie male in rescue once called Minty!

He was the biggest softest lump ever. I used to call him Minty Moo :)

andreac wrote: »
    I have to say Cocker, i hate those type of names for rotties:o, ie Rocky, Kaiser, Jaws etc, think they have bad enough press without given a name like that.

Also the amount of Rotties i know called Roxy and Tyson is ridiculous, come up with something original i think ;)

It was only meant as a joke... like a play on words... I have a cocker myself... My hubby wanted to call him killer as he is so sweet and loveable...... or Theo as he is balck is colour....for the same reasons... as a play on words thats all...
    We didnt call him those names in the end...

• Advertisement

Ah ok Cocker, my bad..:p Its just i know a lot of people that call their Rotties those names and i hate it.

andreac wrote: »
    Ah ok Cocker, my bad..:p Its just i know a lot of people that call their Rotties those names and i hate it.

I know and understand... and i can see why.... i didnt mean to anger any rottie owners... :o

But i see your point...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

We had a rotti for 12 years and we picked a german name for a german breed, his name was Schulls, our new rotti is called Cujo, not such a good name because when you meet new people and they ask the dogs name and we say cujo a lot of people back away as if the dog is evil because of her name, which i think is a shame because she loves people, google german names. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

We called our 2 year old Rottie Benson, and we have yet to meet another with the same name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Rambo.
    Rooney
    Keano
    Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Dont pick a typical Rottie name :rolleyes:

How about 'Tiny' or 'Bubbles' or 'fluffy' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Yeah but you don't want him to sound like a pansy either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Theo Huxtable. Or just Huxtable. That can incorporate all the Huxtables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Yeah but you don't want him to sound like a pansy either

Yea you do :D they are gentle giants

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

How about the BFG then?

I have a thing for the mythology names as well; Odin, Thor, Zeus, etc. For a rottie my favs are Odin, Apollo, Vulcan, Ares, Hermes or Loki.

Or how about Stark? Its the german word for strong, which rotties most certainly are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If I had a rottie I'd call it Borusa. However I think
    cocker5 wrote: »
    Escobar

Is a fantastic name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Justask wrote: »
    Dont pick a typical Rottie name :rolleyes:

How about 'Tiny' or 'Bubbles' or 'fluffy' :D

We went for Pepsi in the end for our rottie girl, everybody laughed at the start but it really suits her bubbly personality :p

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

Our boy is called Bruno, he's such a goofy sweetheart and think the name suits him down to a tee :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

How did i not see this post until now.......

Anyway, I've two rotties now my male Buddy who will be 12mths at the end of this week and the female new addition Izzy who is 9 weeks!!

Good friendly names are best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Slasher
    Rampage
    Zews
    Thor
    Sauron
    Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

We had the same issue years ago when we got ours! A friend of my mothers suggested Bismarck, after her rottweiler who was the cutest/gentlest dog ever!

So we did and guess what Bizmark, too was the greatest dog ever. If we ever walked him out at night and someone was walking by us he would lay on the ground refusing to move/let us walk in front of him until the stranger walked by and Bismarck was certain that we weren't in anyway of danger. Played all day with my one year old brother at the time and he even slept with himself curled around him in a protective way but sadly we left him with our Aunty as we had to move to Germany for a few years and only after a month of been gone he'd chocked on a bone and died on the way to the vets :( He was only 6 but the greatest dog ever!

Advertisement