Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My university doesnt offer Erasmus but want to study abroad for a year

• 30-08-2011 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Bascially, I'm headin into 1st year Arts in UCC. Erasmus is not offered sadly. I was hoping to go take my 2nd year off and go study in Oz for the year (always been such a huge dream of mine). So question is...could I complete 2nd year in an Australian university under the same conditions as Erasmus or what would I have to do? Is this even possible? I'd be stuyding Psychology and Sociology btw.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The academic year in Australia runs at different times to the European/American one and so it's difficult to swap a year here for a year there and then slot back in at home. They aren't a member of ISEP which is one of the bigger partnership programmes, but on the UCC website here they list AUS unis they have links with. I presume they have specifics about which courses send students to AUS for a semester and which don't so you'd need to investigate those.

It's unlikely you'd be able to apply directly to the university and do it (even without the issue of the academic years being different). Sorry I don't have any more optimistic advice :( There is always the option of doing a postgrad there which is a long way off I know, but maybe something to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Hey, maybe ask your dept head what the options are? Establishing partnerships with universities abroad need a certain level of interest already so at least if you bring it up early enough in 1st year there might be a chance of getting it set up...

Also, generally people are only allowed to go on Erasmus in 3rd year, I think it's because you need to have some exam results to base it on (for me, at least, you had to have a 2.1 in 1st year and same in 2nd year) and if you haven't even got first year done when you're applying they don't really have any notion of your capabilities in the area of your degree. I know anyone who does Erasmus in arts adds a year to their course, but most if not all of them are studying languages so that's why they do Erasmus. A 3 year course is tricky to arrange to allow a year abroad - obviously 1st year is out, and 3rd year because your degree is from UCC so it can't really be based on your finals being done in another university. 2nd year is dealt with above, so do be prepared for the fact that you might have to do it as a year out or at least add an extra year to your course.

Advertisement