Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School age children, working parents

Options
  • 30-08-2011 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Am at home with my children currently. They are preschool and I do intend to return to work in a few years time.

I guess with the time of year I am wondering how families with both parents working manage after school care, school holidays, pickups etc. Most of our friends have no children or preschoolers. Other people I know have one parent at home.

Do people really rely on grandparents/family? How about supervising homework? Just wanted to get an idea of how you make it work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

A lot go to afterschool care, either in a creche or childminders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm a single parent to a school going child. I work full time.

She initially went to a creche and as she got older she started going to a childminder (whose daughter is in the same class).
    She is collected from school by the minder, goes to minders house, gets her dinner, does her homework and then I collect her. I check her homework some evenings, but not every evening.
    For school holidays it varies.
    I either send her to the minders for a full day and pay extra or I take annual leave and stay at home.
    I don't have family locally so I can't rely on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm very lucky, altho we have no family near by, because I work with many parents my working day runs within the school day and only during term time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ddlong

We use a combination of Grandparents and me taking half days from work when I can. Would be lost without the grandparents...

Advertisement