Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scoil Thomais (Laurel Lodge) OR St. Mochtas

Options
  • 30-08-2011 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    we are moving to Dublin and currently talking to two schools for our two sons admission in 2nd and 5th class.
    Can someone here please advise which is better Scoil Thomais (Laurel Lodge) OR St. Mochtas .
    Thanks
    Aali

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

It depends on where you are moving to?

IMO you are best to go to the school closest to your home, as their friend will be attending that school and it would be easier to get to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Hi I can't answer your question about Scoil Thomais, as my children attend St Mochtas. They have gotten on very well in the school and I really haven't had too many issues. The only thing I would say is that it is known not to be great for Irish - very little Irish homework comes home, my children are in 5th, 3rd and 1st. The children are very happy there. So far the teachers we have had have been great. They are supposed to be building a new school there now soon as alot of the classes are in prefabs due to increase in number of classes. I agree with the other responder that I think proximity is important so perhaps it is a thing you should think about. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I attended Scoil Thomais (many moons ago!), and in relation to the post above about St Mochta's, Scoil Thomais has an excellent reputation for Irish, or at least it did. The teachers in CCC and other secondary schools always commented on the high standard of Gaeilge of former students- and it's not even a Gaelscoil! However, that was under the old principal who had a real interest in Irish, so the focus might have changed since.

In terms of facilities etc, Scoil Thomais recently (in the last few years or so) opened a new wing of classrooms, to replace the old prefabs (though are some of them still there? I can't remember!).

The teachers were always great, and they set me up well for secondary & beyond- but I suppose see if anyone with more recent experience can weigh in?

Advertisement