Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of GP visit for prescription renewal?

Options
  • 30-08-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

I visit my GP every 6 months for renewal of the contraceptive pill. She checks my blood pressure and asks me how I feel, I'm in and out in 5 minutes, it costs me 55 euros. I've heard of places that charge less for prescription renewal, is that true?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

My wife has to pay 50 euro every six months for her renewal even though it's a long term ilness. Seems to be the way it is unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It's at the discression of the GP to charge whatever they like,not necessarily a consumer issue. Try phoning around different GPs to see if you can find a cheaper one in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My fella charges 20 for the renewal but I just go in and pick it up from reception, I don't have to go in and see him. I do have a medical condition that requires me to go in for a consultation fairly often but he's very sound about it and only charges me every second visit or else half price :) I guess it just depends on your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Each GP can set their own prices - some will be cheaper than others. You should ring around and see what other GPs charge.

Bear in the mind that the first time you go to a new GP, you will probably be charged the full whack as you will be a new patient. But after that, it should be cheaper.

It's up to you to decide if you want to pay your current GP's prices (given the level of service that they provide), or transfer your business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Thanks for your answers. I'm settled for the next 6 months, but will start looking around for a more accomodating GP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You have to be monitored to make sure that the pill is still right for you, hence the consultation charge. Does he weigh you and take your blood pressure etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 69,091 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OCP renewal involves more than just renewing the script, however its often a seperate item on a charges list, lower than a full consultation. Shop around and you may find it for 30 or so - but you'll likely need to pay full whack for that GP to start on it with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

MYOB wrote: »
    OCP renewal involves more than just renewing the script, however its often a seperate item on a charges list, lower than a full consultation. Shop around and you may find it for 30 or so - but you'll likely need to pay full whack for that GP to start on it with them!

Yes, this is what I expect. I know it's more than just handing me a piece of paper and she does take the blood pressure, but I find it a bit steep compared to say, when I go there for an assessment, if you see what I mean. I accept that I have to pay some fee, because I get a service and it's her job, but I'd like to find a GP who charge a lower fee for prescription renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Yes, this is what I expect. I know it's more than just handing me a piece of paper and she does take the blood pressure, but I find it a bit steep compared to say, when I go there for an assessment, if you see what I mean. I accept that I have to pay some fee, because I get a service and it's her job, but I'd like to find a GP who charge a lower fee for prescription renewal.

It's something I've had an issue with as well actually-my doc literally spends less than 10mins with me, takes my blood pressure and hands me the script. It's a lot of money for next to no work!! There should be a seperate fee for those types of check ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Hi

I visit my GP every 6 months for renewal of the contraceptive pill. She checks my blood pressure and asks me how I feel, I'm in and out in 5 minutes, it costs me 55 euros. I've heard of places that charge less for prescription renewal, is that true?

Thanks

Have you made absolutely sure that you're not entitled to a GP visit card? Ring up HSE and check the thresholds.

It's a nightmare of bureacrasy applying but worth it if you have to shell out that amount for periodic 5 min visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I only pay 25 for mine, as long as I don't bring up any other issues. It's 55 normally.

Advertisement