Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 View on Low Voltage v Mains Voltage Downlighters

Options
  • 30-08-2011 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for a 2011 view on Low Voltage v Mains Voltage Downlighters.

Everything I have read is a few years out of date and I know that this is an area that is rapidly changing.

Installation cost is not a factor as I have low voltage spec'd in my build spec, however what should I be going for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I would personally suggest low voltage (12V), and use 20W or 35W dichroics - this way you can change to LEDs in future very easily, and the LEDs will more suitable for you then because with 20W or 35W dichroics, you will have more lighting outlets, which suits the use of LEDs (which have narrow beams usually to get any punch)

Also, while you can get 230V LEDs, the integrated trafos can be bothersome, and take up additional ceiling space

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would personally suggest low voltage (12V), and use 20W or 35W dichroics

I would agree. In some areas I would also use 50W (but less so).

35W dichroics appear to give more light than 50W GU10s. The color rendering is far superior too, as is lamp life.

I feel that LEDs have their place, but in terms of light quality they have some way to go at the affordable end of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

2011 wrote: »
    I would agree. In some areas I would also use 50W (but less so).

35W dichroics appear to give more light than 50W GU10s. The color rendering is far superior too, as is lamp life.

I feel that LEDs have their place, but in terms of light quality they have some way to go at the affordable end of the scale.

I agree, which is why it's be good to plan for them now, but fit them later.

Do they not ACTUALLY give more light than halogens?

While you're looking at lighting in general, I by the way reckon that many switched circuits are better than using a lesser number of dimmers...

BTW the right person replied about 2011!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dardania wrote: »
    Do they not ACTUALLY give more light than halogens?

Sorry I was not very clear.
    I agree that LEDs have a higher luminous efficacy (as in more lumens / watt) than halogen lamps.

I was referring to the fact that a 12 V dichroic has a higher efficacy than a GU10 halogen lamp.

While you're looking at lighting in general, I by the way reckon that many switched circuits are better than using a lesser number of dimmers...
    Personally I am a big fan of dimmers in areas such as kitchens and sitting rooms in particular. I think they are good for "mood lighting".

I found this which is quite interesting for anyone exploring the different options.

• Advertisement
Advertisement