Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you walk your dog?

• 30-08-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how often and for how long (minutes/hours/km/miles) people walk their dog and what breed they are. I have an overweight golden retriever and I just want to compare.
    Eg. Would a 3km walk be enough each day (40 mins)?
    The poll is for how long the walk approximately is whenever you go.

Just to add - he will be getting a short walk in the mornings, only around 15 minutes to loosen him up. I was also thinking of putting the lead on him while running around the garden (is this cruel? I do a running program around the garden and it's a big garden) and then his walk as his reward. Some weekends he gets a long run around the forest that can be up to around 9km for us.

For how long do you walk your dog? 16 votes

1-2 km (0.6-1.2 miles)
    0% 0 votes
    2-3 km (1.2-1.8 miles)
    25% 4 votes
    3-4 km (1.8-2.4 miles)
    6% 1 vote
    4-5 km (2.4-3.1 miles)
    37% 6 votes
    5+ km (3.1 miles plus)
    31% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have 2 rotties and they are walked twice a day.

At lunchtime they get roughly half an hour free running around the fields at work, then in the evening i bring them for a good 45mins to an hour brisk walk on the lead.

I bring them cycling the odd time too.

Edited to add, i didnt answer the poll as i dont know how long in distance i actually walk...

If your dog is over weight then i would def increase the amount of exercise and maybe go on 2 walks a day instead of just one. Also try cycling, swimming, jogging etc as walking alone might not be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My lot get either a 2 mile on lead power walk or 1 and half hour off lead walk up the fields depending how the dicitator is feeling (18 month old baby now rules the house :D) On good days we do both. Also get 10 mins fast ball throwing

I have a mix of dogs from JRTs to GSD x, all working types. When I'm power walking the terriers are jogging so by the time they get back everyone is sweating and panting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I didn't vote either as I don't know the distance but it takes me exactly 1hr 5mins to do our walk once a day, half on leash and half off. If I have the time and the weather permits I will bring them back out in the evening to the field up the road for about 20 mins ball throwing.
    I have a Japanese Spitz, a Chihuahua and a Rottweiler. They are all on the same food but I monitor their food intake like a hawk, if I have some nice scraps I will reduce their dogs nuts that day so they don't become overweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

weekdays:

- 20 minutes in the morning

- lunch time: 40 minutes on the lead or 1 hour off the lead in a field (depending which dog walker is on duty) :D

- evening: 30 minutes on the lead or 1 hour in the field playing ball and running after birds at full speed

Weekends:
    - 1 hour+ walk twice per day with time off the lead

2 cocker spaniels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I have a cocker and het gets the following walks:

two days per week he's with a dog walker - 4Km off lead
    two days per week he's with Hubby's parents- 3Km off lead and the have a couple of acres for him to run around...

On sat we do about 8km... sunday rest day... :D

so he's wrecked all week....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

No vote either, my walks varies aswell but walked twice a day one would be with me off lead in forest and takes me 40mins but the dog's would cover more distance than me.
    Second walk is usually with 3 small kid's in toe so 20mins walk but again off lead so dog's cover more area than us.
    I have 3 lab's under 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I have a king Charles and I walk her for about 50 minutes every evening if I can on the weekends I give her a stroll in the morning as well if I can't walk her I throw the ball for ten minutes or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

My 2 get 2 walks a day but i vary it quite a bit. One walk is always off leash and the other is around the town. If evening walk is around town its an hour if its off leash then its around 45 mins with 10mins in the middle back on lead. I take them for a swim/ off leash walk around the river twice a week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

The two big boys get an on lead walk of about 30 mins, followed by an off lead romp and all out mad fetch game of about 15 -20 mins, then an off lead ramble of about 20 mins, ending in a 10 min brisk walk on lead home.

We bring our new little CKC these days, as she's blossoming daily and loving the freedom and sniffing on a walk. She walks for the first 30 mins and then has a little sit down and rest and drink while the boys have their play around and then she's ready for the 30 min walk home.

We do this every day unless the weather is totally awful - rain is ok but gales and rain I draw the line at:).

During the day they get lots of garden play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I have 2, a lab/staffie who's 6 and a boxer/collie who's about 2, they both get a morning walk, between 1.5-2 miles, the younger one then gets an afternoon walk of about 3/3.5 miles and then I do an evening walk with both of about .5/1 mile, the younger one just needs more exercise, I'm not working at the moment so it's easy to do this, if/when I get back to work there is a doggy day care in Galway that I would consider putting the younger one in a couple of days a week as she would be bored at home, older dog just sleeps the day away.

During the day if the weather is any way nice I will have the back doors open and they will mill around the back garden with short bursts of chasing each other, the younger just seems to love being outside, especially now we have cows in the field behind us, they all gather round the fence to gaze at her and she sits there holding court with them, going up to each one, having a sniff and a lick, it's hilarious to watch. Sorry, went off topic on a ramble there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My cairns get about 3km daily. I'd imagine that a lab would take double that standing on their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

To make up for never being off lead my Kerry Blue x gets lots of walks.
    It's varied so hard to put a distance on it but she'll get generally get 5-6 miles in a day. That's usually broken into one long walk every day, about 3-4 miles depending where we are, and 2-3 shorter walks which could be anything from 10-30 mins each depending on whether kids are with us, weather etc.
    Twice a week I'll take her running 3 miles (well me running, dog trotting alongside wondering why I'm so slow :o). She's quite useful for pulling me uphill though:pac:

If we're in the woods or very quiet boithrín she'll be on 8m lead so gets to explore a bit and have short bursts of runs. She only gets to really run if she escapes :o and she can move really fast then! It's unfortunate that she can't be offlead (even in our own garden :() but I try to make up for that and as far as I can tell she's happy :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

weekdays my border collie gets 45 - 60 mins fast ball playing in the local park before breakfast, then he'll nag whoever's in the house to play football with him in the garden during the day and will chase birds/washing/passing aircraft (he's declared a no fly zone in his garden). Weather dependent we may go for a lead walk for a couple of miles in the evening.

Weekends are spent either in the park, on the beach or in the forest -mostly off lead and usually with a ball or frizbee.

We also do a bit of obedience training most days to keep his skills up and also tire him out mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We aim for 5k a day when it's not a daycare or hydrotherapy day. So 30 mins in the morning, an hour walking in the evening and then off lead time. OP when my GR was a few kg over weight I cut back his food (Burns) and replaced the treat jars with a ration out of his daily food too and the weight came off him. He was on restricted exercise at the time so burning it off wasn't an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Not sure distance wise but an hours off lead run per day.
    We have an acre of garden so she gets stimulation all day too from my OH through ball throwing.

New foster dog hasn't got her energy yet though, he's wrecked at the end of an hours on lead walk.

Advertisement