Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a double buggy for a 2.5 year old?

Options
  • 30-08-2011 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭

Obviously, not just for him, but for his new little sibling too :D Our boy will be 2.5 by the time junior arrives and we're debating about whether to buy a double buggy or not. He's quite independent and hates his buggy as it is, but it does come in handy when he's tired. But I'm a bit reluctant to fork out money for something he may or may not sit in.

I'm not sure if he's too young for one of those little buggy boards....he's a tendency to run off if something catches his attention.

What would/did you ladies do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I suppose if you havent bought a buggy for the new baby yet, you could go for a single buggy that can be made into a double and then you'd have the extention in the boot if you need it such as:

Phil & Teds
    Britax B dual
    Hauck duett

If he wont sit in a buggy now you havent much chance of getting him into on when you arrive somewhere but it would be great to have the option to get another seat from the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'm in the same situation Hannibal, my lad will be 2 yrs 3 months and while he's great at walking himself and doesn't love the buggy, I'm thinking of how to contain him when I'm out and about trying to get things done with a newborn in tow too (I use a sling but big babies are the norm in our family and longer sling-wearing sessions wreck my back). I'm sorry now that when #1 was born we didn't get a buggy that could convert to a double - we were fairly sure then that we'd be going again soon enough. Ah well, you live and learn!

We haven't ruled out trying for #3 next year, so I think we'll end up getting a double. I've been trawling gumtree and other sites for a second hand one - you can find fairly decent ones for under €150 (they'd be about €400-700 new:eek:). I'm going to have a root around the local charity shops too. It's not like our own Graco is in pristine condition - a secondhand one would probably be cleaner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Thanks for the replies ladies. I'm going to google those makes now wmpdd3, thank you. A friend of mine told me she got a phil & teds buggy and her 2 year old, who wouldn't sit in a buggy prior to this, loves it, because it's so high up. I know this sounds terrible, but I always think it's a bit cruel on the poor child on the bottom...they've nothing to look at only the shape of the bigger siblings rear-end in the higher seat :o

Wow go Cat! Or should I call you Tiger :D I think I'm about done with pregnancies now....I love love love being pregnant, but this gest. diabetes has turned me right off! :D

Anyhow, we never bought a buggy for the first guy, we got everything from my sis in law thankfully and it was about 8 years old when we got it, so it was well knocked about. But I didn't care, it saved us a fortune!

hmmmm I'll have a look at these makes wmpdd3 suggested and see what they're like.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Maybe a buggy-board for the back of the buggy would be the way to go so the older fella has somewhere to stand up on when he needs a rest?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Maybe a buggy-board for the back of the buggy would be the way to go so the older fella has somewhere to stand up on when he needs a rest?

actually...that's an idea....I could buy a buggy board, before forking out on a new buggy and see how he gets on with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

actually...that's an idea....I could buy a buggy board, before forking out on a new buggy and see how he gets on with it!
    One that the toddler can sit on as well as stand might be a good starting place!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Litaf-Seat-Buggy-Hitchhiker-Navy/dp/B000HZ47J8

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

In the same position myself and considering one of these buggypod smorph, seeing as we already have two fairly good buggys

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buggypod-Smorph-2-Clip-on-Toddler-Seat-/280703801687?pt=UK_Baby_Pushchair_Accessories_parts_ET&hash=item415b401957

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My big girl was 2 when her sister arrived and wanted little to do with buggies,now she wants to be in the buggy half the time because baby sister is!!
    They are 2 years and 7 months and 7 months now and we could not survive with out the double especially out walking.
    When we were looking at buggies the Phil and Teds type upset her, she did not like being underneath at all , and on some of them the front seats are a little odd too. I think the vibe as a single was the only possible one of them.
    I suppose it comes down to do you walk alot and are you planning #3 soon.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My big girl was 2 when her sister arrived and wanted little to do with buggies,now she wants to be in the buggy half the time because baby sister is!!
    They are 2 years and 7 months and 7 months now and we could not survive with out the double especially out walking.
    When we were looking at buggies the Phil and Teds type upset her, she did not like being underneath at all , and on some of them the front seats are a little odd too. I think the vibe as a single was the only possible one of them.
    I suppose it comes down to do you walk alot and are you planning #3 soon.

is the vibe a make of buggy? Well I am planning on walking every day with the two of them. The thing is thought baby's due the end of Oct, so weather may not permit.

I did go on to the mothercare website though and found a double buggy where the toddler sits in front, the back seat flattens back to a pram type position and it's only 120, so I might just go have a look at them, that's not too much for a pram/buggy, so whether he uses it or not wouldn't absolutely kill me.

I know this sounds terrible, but I always think it's a bit cruel on the poor child on the bottom...they've nothing to look at only the shape of the bigger siblings rear-end in the higher seat

I totally agree, its like: Here the kid we like, and the other one is in the shopping basket!!

A friend has Phil and Ted Vibe and a 2yr and 7 month girl and a newborn. The girl will sit in the lower seat when she's tired and as a treat can walk holding the handles with the threat of the seat if she lets go! I think she regressed back to a baby when the little one was born and wanted to be in the 'special' buggy with the baby. Though last time I met them the little girl was sitting in her lower seat playing computer games on an iphone!

My sister had something like this:
    t_66018151_1.jpg
    It was a bit of a nightmare as it was so squashed. The back seat had no foot room at all and her legs hung down into the shopping basket.

• Advertisement

oh that one does look a bit cramped alright...old on I'll try and find that one I saw on the mothercare website and see what you think

http://www.mothercare.ie/safety-1st-duodeal-tandem-black-iron.html

They both look a bit more even in that ^^^ don't they?

Oh yeah thats much better. They are quite popular, the shopping basket is huge, which you'll need!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I bought a second hand P&T Vibe when I had my second. My first was 2 years and 3 months at the time (this time last year). I still use the buggy now but 3 year old only gets in when he's very tired. The back seat is very useful when we go places like the zoo cos it holds all the bags and coats!

I found the double invaluable last year when I was getting used to having two. I was always nervous when toddler was walking on the road. He also still had some naps and it was great to have both of them asleep in the buggy!

I would get one if I were you. I'd say I'll have mine for another few months then I'll sell it on again. I mainly use the light buggy now though as 3 year old is a great walker.

Buggy board is useful but not always appropriate. It can be uncomfortable to push and it's not great for long walks as the wheels are tiny and it can be very bumpy. It's great for shopping centres or nipping to the shops.

Advertisement