Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten and dog - bad idea?

• 30-08-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

We were thinking of getting a kitten but we are a bit apprehensive because of our dog. He is a golden retriever but he is quite big and we wonder would he scare it to bits or trample on it (he comes running in the door). We had a cat before and he was usually fine with her (she was boss :p) but we don't know how he would react. I know you have to introduce them slowly and reward but I wouldn't want it to be really frightened.
    Also, should you be there all day for the first few weeks when it arrives? We will be back to school/work but there will be someone at home (not a huge animal lover but would do whatever necessary), does this matter? Ideally we would have gotten one during summer but we were away a lot so we couldn't.
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Providing you have a friendly dog, that should be fine - don't worry. I would recommend introducing the kitten on a Friday evening so you have the longest period possible to get them used to each other. If you can, take a day or two off work, because your dog will take his cues from the pack leader (which I hope is you!)

As you say, reward gentle behaviour, curiousity, wagging and being gentle should all be encouraged - watch out for any signs of possession or dominance (snarling, growls etc) particularly around food and toys. I would suggest trying to keep the kitten away from things that the dog sees as 'his' for the first week or two, until their relationship is more established.

Regarding the kitten, give it an escape route, someplace it can go and sleep where the dog can't get to it - it will probably find these spots on its own, but you may need to help. In my own experience, it will adapt to the dog very, very quickly, and they'll be buddies in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Carol555

Hi CookieMonster, funnily enough, we're in the same situation. I did some googling and spoke to girls from Drogheda Animal Rescue where we will be getting our kitten from (can't wait!). They said the same as Kash and that the younger the cat the easier it will be for her to adjust. It's usually the adult pet that needs more attention. The idea of 'dog-free zone' and a 'cat-free zone' makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Kash wrote: »
    Regarding the kitten, give it an escape route

Someone I know put up a baby gate, the cat could slip through but the dog couldn't, so if the dog got too boisterous the cat could just leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We had a cat when we got the first dog, then adopted another a few months later, we managed to find an adult that was used to dogs and very friendly.
    They got on great and it solved the problem of the boisterous pup and little kitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

My boy is a 7 stone lab - he lives with 13 week old kitten in the house and no problems at all....she's even eaten out of his bowl a few times and he just stood by and watched - if the other dog or the adult cat did that there would be all out war!

She follows the two dogs everywhere, she's even started napping with them during their afternoon siesta:rolleyes:

Slow introduction worked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

We have a big dog and she loved our cat when he was a new kitten, kitten wasn't so keen :D They're best buds now, cats are smart, they won't get trampled by dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

In the most part, it is a myth that dogs and cats don't get along - I have a German Shepherd x, a Labrador and a terrier and at any given time, I have around 10 cats, including kittens in my house (foster for animal charity). The dogs see the kittens as little babies they need to protect, they will block the kittens from people and animals that come into our home and they will investigate any strange noises coming from the cats.

They all sleep together on the sofa and are the best of friends. Once you do a gradual introduction with your dog (have the dog walked and tired, on leash when he meets the kitten) and never leave them unsupervised until you are sure they are getting along great and the kitty is able to 'hold his own'.

Odds are, there will be a chase if the cat is outside and the dog is too, but once the cat has an escape route, they will be fine...my dogs will chase the cats when they are outside, but I think its more to do with the dogs instincts to round up the cats (or I could be naive!)

You do need to be careful if the dog is excitable, in case he does accidentally injure the kitty with his big paws, but if your dog is well trained and responds well to commands such as 'leave it', you should be able to prevent the dog being too bouncy with the kitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Thanks for the replies! I hope it would work out, I'd just be really worried because he is quite big. He got on with our last cat, but she was around 10 when he came and was really the boss!
    Love the picture, would love that if we got a kitten! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Back in a parents a good few years ago we have 2 GR and a cat, all at different ages and all got along great.

Advertisement