Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TAPS Academy - survey

Options
  • 30-08-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

We're thinking of bringing the TAPS Academy to Ireland around this time next year. Do people think there is a need for this?

Whats your views ... does anyone have the right to try and 'educate' anyone on paranormal research in the first place? Is it something you'd be interested in attending - or not. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.

This is their mission statement:
    The TAPS Academy is a comprehensive one day informational lecture and investigation training course designed to give investigators and paranormal enthusiasts a solid foundation, from a grounded and scientific approach, on which to begin building their journey into the field of paranormal research.
    As such, our goal is to reach out to the paranormal community as a whole, from experienced investigators to newly interested paranormal fans, in an effort to educate and inform those who are interested, and to provide one of the most comprehensive lectures on paranormal research available today.

Heres what Jason Hawes, TAPS founder says about it:

I am pleased and honored to have these great paranormal researchers and close friends of mine helming the Taps Academy. I am sure anyone who checks out this class will be extremely happy with what they learn

and finally, heres an outline:
    here is a brief list of what you can expect to learn at TAPS Academy:

A History of Paranormal Research
    Theories throughout the field: Why and how are paranormal phenomenon possible? (we will strive to cover a diverse array of theories from multiple view points).
    Current Research being conducted in the field.
    The equipment used in paranormal research, the science behind its use intended use, and the theories behind its use in the paranormal field.
    The different approaches to investigating, and types of teams out there.
    General guidance in qualities to look for in a team (ie. professionalism/honesty/integrity)
    What we look for in a TAPS Family team.
    How to conduct a client-based investigation
    Client Interaction
    Research
    Investigation Tips and Techniques
    Evidence Analysis
    and more….
    We will also have a series of in depths topics (such as quantum theory in the paranormal) that we will try to rotate to give everyone new and interesting things to think about.
    Finally an open Question and Answer session. Ask us anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Melodi

I would say that if the prices are similar to the ones in the US (about 60 dollars) for the lectures or around 100 with a sample investigation you will probably get enough people to make it worth it.

If it got too expensive (as sometimes happens in Ireland, sometimes just because hotels and such can be expensive) then probably not.

But I suspect the interest is there, given the questions here on the board and other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

we were thinking of three different locations throughout the country, €65 a ticket and that would include the investigation afterwards. If a bus or coach is needed to get to the location, that would be a separate charge (considering some might prefer to drive themselves)

Numbers would be limited to about 20 people for each. We're trying to get something in place with the TAPS family teams in Scotland, England and Wales to make the whole thing financially viable in the first place, considering that Kris and Chris would be coming over from the States.

Thank you for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'd be interested to hear what they have to say.

Yes, those costs are certainly reasonable, and if there was an investigation afterwards you could charge for spaces on a bus/van for those who don't have their own transport. It sounds really interesting, even though it isn't something I normally do, if it was nearby I might take a class myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

Hmm... Looks like a complete and utter waste of money.

• Advertisement

another fantastic and intelligent post brought to you by Antikythera

Melodi wrote: »
    Yes, those costs are certainly reasonable, and if there was an investigation afterwards you could charge for spaces on a bus/van for those who don't have their own transport. It sounds really interesting, even though it isn't something I normally do, if it was nearby I might take a class myself.

I'll certainly keep the forum informed on how we progress with this. Thanks for the input everyone ..... even Antikythera (merely for the entertainment value)

Gullible people deserve to get scammed out of their money.

I'm sure they do.

Who's being gullible in this instance, care to tell us? Are you accusing us of scamming?

Please, take your time and explain that one to me. In detail. What the TAPS Academy are offering is a 6 hour training course on the ins, outs and general theories behind paranormal investigating - and throwing in an investigation too boot. Wheres the scam in that?

Really - put up or shut up. Make your point clearly, and dont hide behind snide remarks.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Keep to the topic please, everyone.

• Advertisement

Would people attend an investigation during the week, or would investigations have to be on the weekends?

I could do either, but I suspect that most people would prefer weekends but that's a guess. I get clients for personal readings during the week, but sometimes I have to work in the evening and I find that phone readings are most popular during the weekend and after work hours (both in Ireland and the US).

You could try some of each, with a mid-week one in a larger population area like Dublin,

Melodi

maccored wrote: »
    Would people attend an investigation during the week, or would investigations have to be on the weekends?

'Investigations' are a waste of time and money.

whereas debating with you is just a waste of time.

by the by - you forgot to answer this post for me
    I'm sure they do.

Who's being gullible in this instance, care to tell us? Are you accusing us of scamming?

Please, take your time and explain that one to me. In detail. What the TAPS Academy are offering is a 6 hour training course on the ins, outs and general theories behind paranormal investigating - and throwing in an investigation too boot. Wheres the scam in that?

Really - put up or shut up. Make your point clearly, and dont hide behind snide remarks.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In your opinion.

If you dislike the content of this forum, and only post to derail threads, then please don't post here at all.

Oryx wrote: »
    In your opinion.

There is nothing to 'investigate'.

and you know this how?

obviously you must have completed quite a bit of research into this field to be able to say that. feel free to share you research then, rather than posting crap. unless of course, you have none and this is all 'IMO' ...... theres nothing wrong with that ... just make sure you let people know its purely in your own opinion

There is nothing to 'investigate'.
    and you know this how?

What is 'truth'?

I'm sure they do.

When we were kids, me and my little brother would watch this cartoon:

gooberandghostchaserslo.jpg

Afterwards, we would form ghost clubs and tell each other ghost stories.

We've grown up now.

• Advertisement

going by your posts, i'd question the "grown up" bit.

Back to the thread ....... it's looking like there will be four events throughout the country. Pricing isnt fixed yet, but we're going to try and make sure its somewhere around the euro equivalent of what it is in the states. it will probably mean charging more to go to both the lecture and the investigation and the investigations will probably have a limit on the number who can go. The investigations will probably be in Leap Castle, Wicklow Gaol, Ducketts Grove and Kinnitty Castle - none of which I'd say is terribly haunted, but then again, where is?

It will all depend though on wheather we can organise something similar in England, Scotland and Wales to make it worthwhile - and next July is looking like when it'll happen. There may (though this cant be completely promised right now) some ghost hunters and ghost hunters international people involved as well.

The Atlantic Paranormal Society (TAPS) has officially launched TAPS Academy, a new educational outreach event for investigators, by investigators. TAPS Academy debuts November 12 in Radford, Virginia with an intensive lecture portion at the downtown Norwood Room. In the evening, participants will break into groups to explore the St. Albans Sanatorium.

http://www.ghostvillage.com/resources/2011/features_09012011.shtml
    "We Are Not Trying To Be Experts."

Schlosser explains how this event is different from previous boot camps and other similar endeavors. "We are not just focusing on the practical investigation aspects of training. While we are covering proper equipment use, client interaction, and trying to dispel some of the popular misconceptions portrayed by TV and Hollywood, a major portion of this lecture is going to deal with the theoretical aspects of the field from multiple approaches and viewpoints. We will present real academic research in related fields such as quantum physics, parapsychology, and consciousness studies that have implications in the paranormal," he says.

TAPS Academy hopes to present paranormal investigators with a wide array of approaches while providing additional educational resources. "We are not trying to be experts here," stresses Schlosser. "We are just trying to be guides that can point people where to go to look further into what interests them. In addition, we also hope they gain some understanding of what goes on in a real investigation - not just what you see on TV."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ghosthunter73

I think it's a great Idea and BTW if you thinks paranormal investigations is a wste of time why post here? Don't you have anything better to do with your time? I do wish you all the best with this project Cormac i'll be looking forward to the updates

Me too, I think this sort of training is a very good idea, especially if people feel called to go out and do this, they really need to know what they are getting into. Good, practical advice is more needed than every, if some of the shows I'm managed to watch on You Tube are any indication (I get my limited TV viewing via the computer).

Melodi in the Midlands

Advertisement