Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which bike to buy for a 9 year old?

• 30-08-2011 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

My 9 yr old needs a bike. How do I choose? What things matter? If you have a kid, how did you choose?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MTB? Road racer? Cyclocross? TT? BMX? Utility bike?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

:) for going to school in an urban area (2km trip) and for mountain biking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Budget?

How about a Kona Stinky 2 - 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

What's your budget? This would be probably be the best place to look; they're based in the UK though, and you'd have to organise shipping yourself, I think.

In that case I would focus on the MTB requirement, as the road trip is short enough that anything would do.

The only problem is that a decent MTB will be a theft magnet at school, so he'll need very good locks, and even then it migth be tricky depending on the design of the rack. There are stories of entire bike racks being nicked from schools.

If you're near Dublin I would recommend talking to Richie Byrne in Eurocycles (can't remember which one, maybe call them). He runs kids MTB sessions.

Islabikes are popular for younger riders, as the small ones are very light and don't have crappy suspension, but I think at 9 years old the choice might be wider. Islabikes are also expensive and there were reports that they'd stopped shipping to Ireland (though you could arrange your own).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Lumen wrote: »
    Islabikes are also expensive and there were reports that they'd stopped shipping to Ireland (though you could arrange your own).

There was some talk of them no longer shipping to Ireland, but I contacted them at the beginning of this month and was quoted the following rates.
    Shipping to Ireland is £40.00 per bike (Rothan, Cnoc 14, Cnoc 16, Beinn 20, Beinn 24, Luath 24, Luath 26, Luath 700), or £70.00 per bike (Beinn 26 and Creig 26).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I picked up an Orbea hybrid type bike for a 10 year old this year. It was not cheap (€350-or about the cost of a mid-range decent front wheel for a race bike) but the quality of the components and more importantly the weight of the bike were impressive at the price point.

http://www.orbea.com/nl-en/bicis/modelos/dakar/

I got it through my LBS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Both my girls current bikes are hand me downs from extended family. Of the previous bikes we've bought new, one was an overweight piece of junk that is still sitting in the shed, and the other has been passed on.

For a younger kids bike, I reckon you want something light and simple, which unfortunately is the opposite of the one they want when you take them to the bike shop. Avoid suspension and too many gears, and pick the thing up in one hand to make sure it's not made of lead. FWIW, my eight year old is on an old BMX which she loves (new tires, brake pads and bearings), and my 12 year old has a cousins mountain bike, though she prefers her mums Giant hybrid and nabs it when available.

I think the theft potential that Lumen pointed out is important, as is the fact that growing kids will grow out of bikes pretty quickly. Worth bearing in mind before spending a large sum on the latest and greatest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

My young lad (11) cycles to school on a BMX one that is compiled from two different bikes i scrounged of people. Main reason he is on this is because of theft. He has an mtb that costs a considerable amount which he loves and i dont want to have to replace, even with this he still enjoys to cycle the junker bmx as they are fun, well as long as the hills aren't too big.
    My advice would be to get junker, one that works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Judging by the "Friday night kids" in Ticknock the Islabikes definitely seem to be the best out there. They are light but seem to last well and appear to hold their value too. They are, however, relatively expensive. I know Richie has a nice range of Felts in Eurocyles on the Long Mile Road and my 8 yr old has a Specialized Hot Rock which works well. He will have grown out of it by next year and if the funds are there I will replace it with an Islabikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Lumen wrote: »
    In that case I would focus on the MTB requirement, as the road trip is short enough that anything would do.

The only problem is that a decent MTB will be a theft magnet at school, so he'll need very good locks, and even then it migth be tricky depending on the design of the rack. There are stories of entire bike racks being nicked from schools.

If you're near Dublin I would recommend talking to Richie Byrne in Eurocycles (can't remember which one, maybe call them). He runs kids MTB sessions.

Richie is in Eurocycle on Longmile Road just for the record. He got my brother sorted out with a great bike to start off MTB.

I am sadly not in the market for a 1200 euro bike for a child that seems to grow an inch a month.
    350 is my absolute max.

Also I'd like to shop locally what with the current state of things. or 2nd hand

Suspension: is that worth having or is it too heavy /expensive /liable to break?
    wheels: there seems to be a wide variety of wheel size. why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

dynamick wrote: »
    Suspension: is that worth having or is it too heavy /expensive /liable to break?
    wheels: there seems to be a wide variety of wheel size. why?

AFAIK suspension is not really necessary on kids' bikes, they're so light that reducing tire pressure slightly should be sufficient cushioning. If you do get it, try to steer clear of steel suspension, way too heavy.

Generally kids bikes are measured by wheel size - 20" generally for about 6-8 yrs and 24" for 8-11 yrs. Thereafter you either move up to small adult sizes - 26" wheel and 13 or 14" frame - or you can go for kid-specific 26" wheel bikes. These last are not too common but are worth seeking out IMO as they are specifically designed for children's smaller reach, hand size etc. Islabikes' Beinn seems to be a good example of this; Cyclesuperstore have one too: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=48&idproduct=40109 slightly out of your price range but loyalty discount would give 10% off. Eurocycles have a similar model: http://www.eurocycles.ie/Kids/Junior_Kids_Bikes_26_Inch/Raleigh_Zero_G_26_inch_boys/4259_p.aspx

Deciding whether to go for a 24" or 26" really depends on the size of your 9 yr old; mine has only just turned 9 but has already outgrown his 24" bike (though he is unusually tall for his age).

Advertisement