Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rolex Submariner & Deepsea Dweller

• 30-08-2011 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

So I'm in Cork on a short getaway and call into Keanes on Oliver Plunkett Street and took some advice on checking these two watches on my wrist. Both are very nice in person with the DSD being the much bigger watch. Now to decide which I want to get.

9d2c6a85.jpg

96863b9b.jpg

d73a757c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

IMO a bit of a toss up but I think DSD looks better on your wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It definitely has more presence and is about the same width as the Omega PO which I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The DSSD all day every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The DSSD all day every day!

Unless you're clumsy.....the DSSD is a big watch that doesn't like to stay under the cuffs and those ceramic bezels are prone to shattering and are pretty expensive ... still not enough of an excuse not to get one, whats the retail on one of those now compared to the Sub?

It was around €8500 for the Deep Sea. I think the regular Sub was €6500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The thing that would vex me about the bigger Sea Dweller is that it is basically a lazy effort at blowing up the Sub.

The dial is basically the same ...just on the Sea Dweller you have this annoying ring with (I find, rather stupid) "advertising" to make it bigger and fit the bigger case ...very fashion watch-ish, in my humble.

There's plenty of text on the dial as it is ...that "original Gas escape valve / Ring Lock System" - text around the dial would really annoy me after a while.

In short ...I'd choose the smaller watch. It's the far more elegant design.
    If you could get it without date ...or at least without the cyclops ...even better.

Is that text on the earlier editions though? I thought it was only on this new model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Is that text on the earlier editions though? I thought it was only on this new model?

Do I look like a Rolex Expert ? :D:D:D *

...just comparing what's in the pics ...

* I prefer my "Rolex" [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38469/170989.jpg[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

I guess it's like looking at any watch.. It's subjective! I wanted the cleaner lines of the ND Sub as a lot of the rest of my collection is larger and chronograph style.. Hence my last two purchases have been simpler.. Panerai 000 and Submariner ND.
    Whichever one you prefer is the one for you... You'll be the one wearing it after all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

The Sub looks like the newer Sub-C (116610LN) with the Maxi dial and case.

I too prefer the cleaner "less talk" dial.

Either one is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Gavin1 wrote: »
    The Sub looks like the newer Sub-C (116610LN) with the Maxi dial and case.

i think the one in the pic IS the new SubC

Bullseye1 wrote: »

I think it was on some of the transitional pre-ceramic versions but wasnt always....
    Although once you get into it there are lots and lots of different variations of the Sea Dweller, the most obvious being the difference between the DSD and the DSSD.... you could spend weeks just getting to grips with the Submariner and the Sea Dweller is a whole other kettle of fish, single reds, double reds, with/without escape valves, domes, superdomes, open 6's and 9's...flat top 3's ........ are you sure you want to do this to yourself???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Bigger is better- always.....

Bigger is better- always.....

Two words for you.........

Flava Flav.

I rest my case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Neither, buy second hand.

Oh I'll be doing that anyway. I just wanted to get an idea on size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

marcus1971 wrote: »
    Two words for you.........

Flava Flav.

I rest my case

You agree with me, right??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

buck65 wrote: »
    Neither, buy second hand.

They had a 2006 Sub in Keane's at the weekend. €4,500.
    Much better without the rehaute ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I would not usually like the better watch, but I think the DSD looks better on your wrist because:
    No cyclops -I'm just not a fan
    The lugs look better on the DSD, they're less square and fit better as a transition between the watch and the bracelet.

So if you found yourself a nice sub (like Homer's) with no date, that may be the best compromise?

Blowers just sold a nice mint Submariner ND 14060M in the last week or so.. (and it's not the one I got :D)

Here's some images of the one in question.. Went for 3250 sterling.

S14546.jpg

S14668-6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Homer wrote: »
    Blowers just sold a nice mint Submariner ND 14060M in the last week or so.. (and it's not the one I got :D)

Here's some images of the one in question.. Went for 3250 sterling.

S14546.jpg

S14668-6.jpg

That is an non ceramic non date rolex. I have a new unworn rolex sub ceramic date for 5k if anyone is interested. Receipt from Keanes full warranty etc..

jsd1004 wrote: »
    That is an non ceramic non date rolex. I have a new unworn rolex sub ceramic date for 5k if anyone is interested. Receipt from Keanes full warranty etc..

Stick up some pictures and more detailed info and you never know but best to put it on adverts too if you intend trying to sell it through the forum and link to the selling or swapping thread also. Why is it new and unworn out of curiosity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

When did you buy it? How much did it retail for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

ANXIOUS wrote: »

When did you buy it? How much did it retail for?

Well if it's the 14060M the price new in the UK in June was £4190. there has been a price rise since then so maybe add another £200-£300 to that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

They are 6400 euro new. It was collected 2 weeks ago.PM me if you require any more info.

Advertisement