Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complete Beginner Cyclist

• 30-08-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi all,

I searched for threads on what bike to get on the forum but only found things like First Road bikes etc and didn't understand half of what was said. I haven't cycled in about 20 years but I would like to try. I am looking to buy a bike that I can use on roads, thankfully most of my area has a lot of cycle lanes and not in the city as city cycling terrifies me!

I don't even have a bike I could suggest, I looked at the sites suggested here like cycle superstore and I really have no idea where to start.

I run about 3 times a week so not terribly unfit but getting a little bored and would like to mix it up with cycling for weight loss and improving fitness.

Any suggestions on bikes are much appreciated,

I would spend about 500€ I think, though not even sure if that is enough/too much!! By the way i'm a girl about 5ft 1 inch.

Thanks in advance,

Once I get the bike I will then need to figure out if I remember how to cycle it :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

bike to work scheme is brilliant, if your employer is signed up. if not working i would go second hand. 400 euro would buy serious 2nd hand road bike. hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Thanks so much. Definitely availing of the bike to work scheme. How do I know what bike to go for? Do I just go to a shop and take their recommendations? How much should I expect to pay for a decent first time bike? If I did like it how long would I be able to use this bike for before needing to upgrade?

Thanks so much for the advice!

Sorry about all the questions! Completely clueless!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

Just out of curiousity are you male or female and the only reason I ask is because I am female and took it up in June and absolutely love it now and perhaps I can help some small bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Go into a decent bike shop and get up to speed on the different types of bike available and get a feel for the pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

From your own description of fitness and expected bike use I would recommend either a racing bike (lightweight and low handlebars) or a hybrid (medium weight and flat handlebars). In general you can sit up straight on a hybrid but you will be prone on the racing bike. At 5ft 1in you will need a small frame which may limit your choice somewhat. There are many things to consider when buying your first bike so I think a trip into a good bike store in your area that can advise you and do repairs for you if needed. You can get lots of info from Google or your local library usually stocks some good cycling books for your needs.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm female for the poster who asked. Is the cyclesuperstore in tallaght my best option? I'm based in greystones. Really looking forward to it now.

audreyp wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your advice! I'm female for the poster who asked. Is the cyclesuperstore in tallaght my best option? I'm based in greystones. Really looking forward to it now.

Yes, the lads in CSS are good and it's a well laid out shop for browsing.

They'll probably show you a Giant and a Cube then sell you a Lapierre. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

A small bit of advice is to go with a bricks & mortor shop. You may save a few euro buying online, but as you are new & will have plenty of questions having a relationship with a shop means you can get answers & can be showen how to adjust things on your bike. They will also show you how to change tubes & can try on different sized clothing etc.

Well, a good local bikeshop SHOULD do this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Nice new bike shop in Greystones, might be a good place to start.

http://www.cycleplus.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Make sure you know what size bike you need before you go looking as a lot of shops will be more eager to sell you what they have in stock rather than what fits your needs most closely although having said that, CSS seem pretty good on the sizing front.

If you do a google you should be able to find a sizing calculator that you just plug your measurements in to.

It's also important to know what you're buying. For instance, the different groupsets (brakes, hubs, bottom bracket, shifters and drivetrain) from different manufacturers come in a hierarchy.

Shimano (the most common) start with 2200/2300, sora, tiagra, 105, ultegra, dura ace with 2200 being the cheapest and dura ace being the fanciest.
    Their mountain bike groupsets (also used on hybrids a lot of the time should you go that route) go tourney, altus, acera, alvio, deore, XT and then I think XRT.

For your needs I'd say a road bike (racing bike with drop handlebars etc) would be best but you'll struggle to get any thing decent first hand for 500e (halfords have a few bikes in that price range and some of the entry level bikes from smaller manufacturers might have something but that's it). 500e would get you something very nice second hand if you can find something in the right size but you'd want to do your research and know what you're looking for if you go the second hand route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Just a note about the cycle to work scheme. You only get to use this once every 5 years so people tend to max out the amount you can get by spending €1,000. Once a bike shop hears you intend to use this scheme they will almost certainly start suggesting €1k bikes to you.

You may find that cycling doesn't suit you so I think you should consider getting a more basic second hand bike to start with. If you find you like cycling then you can probably sell the secondhand bike for close to what you paid for it and go for the cycle to work scheme.

The only problem with that approach is that you really need to know what you want when looking at secondhand bikes.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Really appreciate the advice. I was talking to my HR person and with the bike scheme I could probably afford something for about €600. (Then get 50% back!)

Thanks for the advice, going to start looking at the bikes recommended. Hopefully I will sound a bit more knowledgeable in the bike shop now and less likely for people to rip me off :-)

audreyp I asked because I am also female and am 5' 2" just about. I was very lucky to come across a second hand 50cm trek madone 4.5 in perfect condition and it is the best purchase I every made.

I got my bike on 1st June and happily complete the Sean Kelly 90km last Sunday in under 4 hours and it was a case of building up my distance bit by bit.

I would recommend good bike, good helmet, good shoes and the best shorts u can afford.........assos were my life saver in the end.

Great thanks very much! I didn't think shoes/clothes would matter as much with the bike! I'm not planning on doing anything competitive for the moment though it is good to have a goal!

I haven't cycled since my first raleigh apple bike when I was about 8! Hope it comes back to me :-)

I have heard a lot of people, female especially, commenting on how sorry they were that they didnt use the whole 1000 euro while they had the chance to do it !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If you're in Tallaght then check out The Cycle Inn.
    As far as I know they're the only stockers of KTM which seem to have the best kit for the money from the stores around Dublin.

There are better offers online bu if you're buying from a LBS then I'd buy a KTM in your budget.

And yes, the right close and shoes are a big part of cycling making it easier on you and more fun when you're wearing the right gear

I'm worried about spending a lot on clothes and shoes when I might not like it. Is wearing running shoes cycling impossible?

I having running leggings would they suit?

I'm worried about spending a lot on clothes and shoes when I might not like it. Is wearing running shoes cycling impossible?

Normal sporty clothing and flat pedals is fine to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

http://www.wicklowcycles.ie/ Could be good for you. I like small shops, they tend to treat you better than the big ones.

As for bikes I am 5'0 and I cycle a 43 a 44 or a 42 ( depends on the brand) - as for clothing you can always pick up a bargain on the internet on wiggle.co.uk for example.

Brilliant thank you! I would like to go to a local shop as well. I'll try that site for clothes too. I don't mind buying clothes online but really want to buy my bike in a shop where I can talk to people and hopefully as people suggest here, teach me how to maintain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Just a note about the cycle to work scheme. You only get to use this once every 5 years so people tend to max out the amount you can get by spending €1,000. Once a bike shop hears you intend to use this scheme they will almost certainly start suggesting €1k bikes to you.

You may find that cycling doesn't suit you so I think you should consider getting a more basic second hand bike to start with. If you find you like cycling then you can probably sell the secondhand bike for close to what you paid for it and go for the cycle to work scheme.

The only problem with that approach is that you really need to know what you want when looking at secondhand bikes.

I'd second this advice. There is a danger of thinking the BtW scheme is the ONLY option to getting a bike. It might be in your interest to hold off using it until your second bike, having got the bug (assuming you do). A friend who is in the bike retail business told me that they (the LBS's) expect the scheme to be stopped in the coming budget - but we've heard that before too.

The help of a knowledgeable biking friend might be more use to you in the short-term in tracking down a s/h bike. Is there someone you can call upon? €500 will buy a good marque 2-3 year old bike more than suitable for a first bike......... just avoid the cheaper stuff (hence the value of a friend who knows the score.....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Helmet & Get padded shorts even for wearing under tracksuit
    they will double the time you can spend on the bike at least, runners are fine

Bigus wrote: »

Helmet & Get padded shorts even for wearing under tracksuit
    they will double the time you can spend on the bike at least, runners are fine

Great thanks, any specific type of helmet? I see lots for 200+ but I hope I can get one for about 40/50?

Padded shorts, didn't when think of that! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Great thanks, any specific type of helmet? I see lots for 200+ but I hope I can get one for about 40/50?

Giro are good brand helmet. Here's a link to a sale http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=40fa628f0fbe316d0497b3c31&id=d6a5d5eef8&e=4dae0d899c

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Giro are good brand helmet. Here's a link to a sale http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=40fa628f0fbe316d0497b3c31&id=d6a5d5eef8&e=4dae0d899c

Thanks, I imagine I have to figure out what size etc in a shop. Thanks for the brand recommendation!

just to let you know also cos I found out the hard way, dont wear underwear under your shorts!

Also, bought lidl shorts, no good, bought pair for 30ish euro, not much good, bought polaris for 42 euro, fairly ok, was lucky last week in cyclesuperstore in Dublin and bought assos F1 ladies, reduced from 190 to 109 euro and hit the jackpot...........no comparison to be absolutely honest, like sitting on a cushion and no seams where you dont want them.

I would have been as well spending 100 euro first day on assos shorts, they are incredible !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pgd-pgd

Good site here for cycling clothes at reasonable prices.
    http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/categories/

I find these 8 panel shorts extremely comfy even compared to Assos & Descente shorts I paid over €100 for.
    http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/ladies-8-panel-mid-thigh-cycling-shorts-with-professional-moulded-pad--blackpink-1416

Another thing to remember when buying a bike is go by your inside leg measurement , not just your overall height.
    Read here at this link for some help.
    http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/bikes/road-bike-frame-size-guide/
    Google a few other frame size guides as well and do a bit of research.

I'd also go with a previous poster advice buy 2nd hand first if you can and if you like it upgrade on the BTW scheme.

I bought a bike on the BTW but found it slightly too big for me and ended up having to change for a smaller one.

Chainreactioncycles are doing a sale on Helmets and some of the Bell Helmets such as the Solar are good reliable starter helmets.

Last of all do a tour of a good few bike shops and don't be afraid to ask questions and you can check out the answers they give you on here.

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think the advice to go cheap and minimal on your own dime for now is quite good, and return to the bike-to-work scheme when you have a clearer idea of what you like and don't like.

You also don't need any special clothing for cycling modest distances (say, less than 20km or 30km). You don't legally need a helmet either, though you might feel safer with one.

Could you even get a long-term loan of a bike someone else isn't using and see how you get on with that? That coupled with your current sporty clothing would suffice to get you going.

If you're cycling after dark or at dusk you need lights. You also need two good locks (both worth more than €30 or so). Rain gear is very useful. That should do you fine, to get started. That should cost you very little. Then if the bug bites you, use the full BTW scheme.

I actually have no one to borrow a bike from. None of my friends cycle. Most haven't cycled in years. I would consider buying second hand but without the bike to work scheme my budget would drop dramatically!

I'm just hoping to get a good bike and take the risk that I will like it. If not I can always try and sell it anyway. I hope it won't come to that though because I have been so excited the last few days thinking about it and looking forward to mixing up my exercise from running to cycling. If I could swim in the sea (weird fear of fish and slimy things!) I would consider a mini triathlon.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, i'm hoping to pop into cycleplus in Greystones on Friday and then trying the place in Wicklow and cycle superstore next week. Hopefully they won't cut the bikescheme in the budget as I don't want to have to rush buy one. I would like to visit all the shops and then google everything they tell me to make sure they are not just trying to make a sale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

carrielou wrote: »
    I got my bike on 1st June and happily complete the Sean Kelly 90km last Sunday in under 4 hours and it was a case of building up my distance bit by bit.

I would recommend good bike, good helmet, good shoes and the best shorts u can afford.........assos were my life saver in the end.
    carrielou wrote: »
    just to let you know also cos I found out the hard way, dont wear underwear under your shorts!

Also, bought lidl shorts, no good, bought pair for 30ish euro, not much good, bought polaris for 42 euro, fairly ok, was lucky last week in cyclesuperstore in Dublin and bought assos F1 ladies, reduced from 190 to 109 euro and hit the jackpot...........no comparison to be absolutely honest, like sitting on a cushion and no seams where you dont want them.

I would have been as well spending 100 euro first day on assos shorts, they are incredible !

Amazing how fast you get sucked in isn't it.

Good on ya, keep it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Just came across this thread and its great! I'm only new to cycling myself and have been cycling in and out of work every day ~6km each way (up hill on the way home!). So I just wanted to say "hi" and thank everyone for their input on boards as its been really useful for beginners like myself!

I had no idea that clothes were so important - I've just been wearing jogging pants with a generic sports t-shirt -and really no underwear???
    No wonder theres been so many cyclists in spandex passing me out! :)

As for a lock - I've only one at the moment, a fairly cheap U-lock but I lock it in trinity in a fairly busy area (wheres theres lots of bikes way nicer than mine...!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

jendafer1 wrote: »
    I had no idea that clothes were so important - I've just been wearing jogging pants with a generic sports t-shirt -and really no underwear???
    No wonder theres been so many cyclists in spandex passing me out! :)
    AIUI, the no underwear thing is relevant only if wearing padded cycling shorts/tights. The pad is designed to cushion and to avoid seams between you and the saddle. Underwear will re-introduce seams and will move / crumple between the pad and your skin creating more 'seams' to chafe.

The other reason for wearing cycling shorts is that you then don't wear out the arse of your trousers...
    As for a lock - I've only one at the moment, a fairly cheap U-lock but I lock it in trinity in a fairly busy area (wheres theres lots of bikes way nicer than mine...!)
    A fairly cheap U-lock will be fairly easily broken. I use a Kryptonite-York-Fahgettaboudit-Mini-Lock along with a Kryptoflex cable. It's important to know how to use a U-lock effectively. Basically, you fill the U with bike and bike stand so there's no room to get anything else into the space. That defeats the usual levering attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You also don't need any special clothing for cycling modest distances (say, less than 20km or 30km).
    Fine for the OP maybe but as a heavy, hairy bloke I find I really need my clothing to be able to deal with a lot of sweating. I'm doing ~9.5km each way. Well worth sorting yourself out with some comfortable (doesn't need to be expensive) gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but can I ask the lady cyclists out there a quick question, whats more important a very good saddle or a very good shorts? I have a bbb womens saddle on my bike cost approx 30euro n have been wearing an altura shorts that I paid about the same for have also tried a few expensive bib shorts belonging to my brother that cost over 100euro but it makes no difference after about 30k my sit bones n other areas really ache:(
    I have done a good bit of cycling since March or so a good few 80k plus spins so I dont think its the case of gettin used to the saddle or anything. I also got a very good bike fit so its not down to my position on the bike either. I have 100euro to spend so the question is a new saddle or shorts??
    Thanks

Advertisement