Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Course Menu Needed! All Opinions Appreciated!

Options
  • 30-08-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

It my birthday this weekend and instead of going out for a meal I have decided just to stay in with my family and have a nice meal.

I love cooking but what I need is some recipes as i'm kind of tired of eating the norm.

Id like to cook a fancy enough meal and no one is very particular so nothing can be ruled out.

It would be Seven courses im thinking of.

Anybody have any recipes for a 7 course meal?

All ideas appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Rachel allen made a top class beef wellington on RTE last night, well it looked swell anyways.

Sure the program is on the RTE player should you want to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Big Lar wrote: »
    Rachel allen made a top class beef wellington on RTE last night

It sure looked good, the dessert was every bit as nice looking too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 flowerbee

Well it really depends on budget. Thats where id start anyway. Say getting a roast ie lamb, beef, chicken might cost less than getting 4 steaks with all the trimmings. Starter maybe soup or abit of a salad. Why not look up bordbia.ie. They have some lovely receipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Thanks for the help so far:)

Decided now to do a 7 course with this kind of layout

Whats your thinking of it or changes I could make?

Course1 - Salmon Pate with Crackers of Toast

Course2 - Maybe a small duck salad

Course3 - A soup

Course4 - Sorbet

Course5 - Main course maybe a couple of racks of lamb

Course6 - Dessert

Course7 - Tea/Coffee (Irish Coffee for me anyway!)

flowerbee wrote: »
    Well it really depends on budget. Thats where id start anyway. Say getting a roast ie lamb, beef, chicken might cost less than getting 4 steaks with all the trimmings. Starter maybe soup or abit of a salad. Why not look up bordbia.ie. They have some lovely receipes.

Budget is not too important as it will be cheaper than going out anyway so i dont mind spending a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Your menu looks good but I'd call that 6 courses with Tea/Coffee - add a nice Irish cheese board (I like it after dessert) and you'd have a good 7 courses.

Things to keep in mind for so many courses:

Keep each course small with less rather than more elements.

Make the soup more about flavour rather than substance so something like a homemade consommé or other broth based soup would be nice saw a lovely chickpea and chorizo one posted here recently.

Don't go overboard with veg and spuds for the main course.

Allow time to digest between courses.

Done right, I love long dinners of many courses but done wrong it's just gluttony!

Your menu looks good but I'd call that 6 courses with Tea/Coffee - add a nice Irish cheese board (I like it after dessert) and you'd have a good 7 courses.

Things to keep in mind for so many courses:

Keep each course small with less rather than more elements.

Make the soup more about flavour rather than substance so something like a homemade consommé or other broth based soup would be nice saw a lovely chickpea and chorizo one posted here recently.

Don't go overboard with veg and spuds for the main course.

Allow time to digest between courses.

Done right, I love long dinners of many courses but done wrong it's just gluttony!

Thanks for the advice, its my first time cooking this many courses.

Course 1 - Salmon Pate with Toast

Course 2 - Orange & Rocket & Walnut Duck Salad

Course 3 - Potato & Leek Soup with bacon

Course 4 - Lemon Sorbet

Course 5 - RacK of Lamb or Fillet Steak

Course 6 - Dessert - Malteser Mousse

Course 7 - Irish Coffee

This is what I have come up with so far, its a six course really as theres only one main. Im the only one who would eat cheese after a meal really so i'll have it myself another time.

Im looking forward to buying all the ingredients and cooking now. It should be yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

My only concern with that menu would be the soup. I make a potato and leek soup quite a lot and it tends to be quite thick and heavy. You can add more stock to it to make it lighter of course but I find that that tends to dilute the flavour and essence of a potato and leek soup too much to be enjoyable. I don't know if you're set on having a particular theme to the menu, but maybe consider a classic french onion soup or a broth based wonton soup.

Improbable wrote: »
    My only concern with that menu would be the soup. I make a potato and leek soup quite a lot and it tends to be quite thick and heavy. You can add more stock to it to make it lighter of course but I find that that tends to dilute the flavour and essence of a potato and leek soup too much to be enjoyable. I don't know if you're set on having a particular theme to the menu, but maybe consider a classic french onion soup or a broth based wonton soup.

Thats true although I'm not going to serve too much of the soup, just a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

I make a butternut squash and chilli soup for dinner parties if you'd like the recipe!

It's gorgeous and always goes down really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

When I want to go the whole hog with a good few courses for a dinner party I often do a gazpacho for the soup course and serve it in a shot glass.
    Also do dessert, maybe a lemon posset or a mousse and serve in shot glasses, really cute and when the flavours are good you only need a taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Im doing come dine with me at the end of the month, this is my menu

amuse bouche: gazpacho shot
    Starter: twice baked goats cheese souffle
    Main : Individual Beef wellington, with truffle mash potato - other veg to be decides
    Dessert: amarreti chocolate mousse

havent made the souffle before so gonna make it next week and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

foodaholic wrote: »

Main : Individual Beef wellington, with truffle mash potato - other veg to be decides

Good luck, hope you win :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Love To Cook

MarthaMyDear, I would love to have your recipe for butternut squash and chilli soup, if it not too much trouble.
    Its getting to that time of year again for comforting soups!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

foodaholic wrote: »

Good luck - make sure you remind us when it is being shown. I don't have the balls to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

murphym7 wrote: »
    Good luck - make sure you remind us when it is being shown. I don't have the balls to do it.

OMG im not doing it on tv its just with my friends, no way Id go on telly, i'd be terrified :eek:

Advertisement