Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pea straw is there a Market

• 30-08-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Is there a Market for pea straw anywhere in Ireland I have pea straw on the flat at the minute and was wondering is there anyone buying it before I decide to run the haybob over the rows

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Doubt there is much of a market, barley straw is hard shifted this year. I sent you a PM

Maybe allot of the less intensive farmers that would be using straw just dont have the animals, or cant afford. Money problems all round. I havnt a clue about the mushrooms. I told a guy I usually take a 3 or 4 artics of him a year that he would be best off chopping it as he wouldnt have a hope and hell being able to compete with some of the prices around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Is there a Market for pea straw anywhere in Ireland I have pea straw on the flat at the minute and was wondering is there anyone buying it before I decide to run the haybob over the rows

I saw a man feeding pea haulms to dry stock one year in desperation when fodder was scarce and dear - they didn't think much of it, and neither did he!

What is it like as bedding - is it hard to get it dry? Does a lot of soil come in with it?

LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Doubt there is much of a market, barley straw cant even be shifted this year. I sent you a PM

What is the reason for this - just a glut in supply? has the demand for mushroom compost fallen off a lot?

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

LostCovey wrote: »
    What is the reason for this - just a glut in supply? has the demand for mushroom compost fallen off a lot?

LC

I would imagine that the demand from dairy farmers is way down given the quota situation

Tillage area was also supposed to be up by 5-6% this year so that will have an effect

Advertisement