Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Call change in terms

Options
  • 30-08-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Ok, Quick background. Work for international company, our UK team wer edoing on-call for a big customers system (Cable TV) that migrated to us and we were being paid at sterling rates. There is a basic flat fee for being available on call and a per callout additional payment that cover's that rolling day. The US mother company has changed our on-call payments to Euro but have added two clauses.

Calls exceeding one hour are eligible for additional premium pay per country schedule.
    Premium payments will be limited to 3x the country schedule in a given week.

We have been using the UK payments for 3 years now so its is expected earlings but considering the SLA for a outage whicjh is the only reason we can be called is a 50 min turnaround it basiclly means we wont be paid for fixing anything unles sit takes us an hr to do so. It also means we wont be paid for talking someone through something at three in the morning which happens every once in a while.

Its never happened that I have recieved three callouts in one week but of I did I do not think it reasonable to not be paid for them.

Thoughts/opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My wife does on-call for IT as well. She doesn't get paid unless she has to go into the office - even if it takes her 2 hours to fix an issue remotely from home. She works in a heavily unionised place, so it's most likely above board.

Also, if this is a change to your conditions rather than contract, then they can change these once they give you enough notice.

It might be worth checking out to see what the deal is with changing a practise that's been there for a number of year though?

Advertisement