Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish supplier for metal lathe/milling/drilling machines

Options
  • 30-08-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have posted a similar query to this in the engineering forum as I could not decide which forum would be most applicable. I understand that this is woodcraft but I didn't find any metal craft forums.

I've recently become interested in metal machining and home engineering and am looking to buy an introductory/hobby lathe/milling/drilling machine(s).

I have looked around and I'm quite interested and satisfied with the various ''3 in 1'' machines out there as they seem to fit my requirements quite well, in terms of space and size. I am a college student and expect to move several times in the coming years and so would like to be able to take my machine with me.

My problem is that it appears to be extremely difficult to buy any of these machines in Ireland. I've located a great supplier in the UK (ChesterUK) who then referred me to their Irish distributor.

The unit in question (see below) comes out at around €1500 to be delivered in the UK and this includes VAT in the UK and all additional expenses.

The problem? The price in Ireland as quoted by their distributor (Central Technology Supplies in Dublin) is about €2200 to get it to my door in Galway.

I cannot see any justifiable reason for such a huge price difference. Is this just the rip off Republic we live in or should I be looking for alternate suppliers? If the latter is the case can anybody suggest some good places to get tools in Ireland or at least delivered to Ireland?

I've more or less decided on the following unit. It is quite cost effective (at least in the UK)
    ChesterUK Centurion 800

If for some reason you're fundamentally opposed to the above machine, perhaps you could suggest an alternative 3 in 1 machine or else somewhere I could get a comparable lathe/milling machine/drill press separately all for under
    €2000 MAX.

I want to get the best bang for my buck and I understand there are various trade-offs by choosing smaller hobbyist machines and that they will be perceived as ''toys'' by the more experienced machinists out there. I'm just looking to learn machining so that's the type of machinery I'm looking for. I don't want to end up not liking machining and be stuck with a 6 ton milling machine sitting in my garage forever. Naturally if I get hooked I will look to upgrade to more advanced dedicated machines in the future.

To summarize after all that ranting, can somebody in Ireland please tell me where the best place to buy machine tools is? By best I don't simply mean cheapest, I mean best service, good cost effective supplies of accessories like drill bits...etc.

Thanks,

Barry

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I don't know anything about metalworking/ milling machines tbh, but I have spoken to someone who works in the field - he doesn't rate modern machines at all. Maybe the second hand route would be worth investigating for the likes of Colchester, Myford lathes etc. If I needed a new lathe for woodturning, that's what I would do, and did with my current lathe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 blue diver

have you tried these they will have a stand at the agm for irishwoodturners in Kerry free delivered
    http://http://www.axminster.co.uk/lathes-and-floor-stands--engineering-dept828671_pg1/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BOG FLY

Hi Barry

I too have taken to toolmaking and started a course 1 year ago.
    I have purchased a Colchester Master (1950's) and a Elliott OM1 milling machine.
    Ebay is a place I purchase tooling etc, there is lathes and milling machines on there at very good prices but the problem is getting them to here.

I bought my colchester from a company in the UK who deal only in second hand and I have to say it is a great machine and was delivered to my workshop for 1500 euro
    Their web is www.homeandworkshop.co.uk and another very good one is www.gandmtools.co.uk
    Both of these I have purchased machines from and had a good experience.
    A site to interest you is lathes.co.uk full of information.
    pm me if you like........

Now I am looking for a power hacksaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JebbyCarl

So the VAT is about 700? Unfair.. I think you must try some of their suggestions...

Advertisement