Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Scenic

Options
  • 30-08-2011 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Thinkin bout buying a 2004 Scenic. Looking at the service history vs the odometer, looks like it's been clocked. Someone mentioned that this can happen for a valid reason (e.g. maintenance).

Anyone know if this is true or a load of bull?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thinkin bout buying a 2004 Scenic. Looking at the service history vs the odometer, looks like it's been clocked. Someone mentioned that this can happen for a valid reason (e.g. maintenance).

Anyone know if this is true or a load of bull?

Thanks

That is a load of bull. unless of course it had an entire engine replaced....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

AFAIK early scenics pre '08 had lots of problems including a problem with the dash that needed fixing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/10/renault_get_lost_on_a_scenic_r.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Dash clock failure is fairly common on those so if its been replaced then the mileage will not display the original as the correct way to do this job is to record the repair in the service history/dealer records and begin the mileage at 0 with the replaced clocks.

Check with Renault to see if the clocks have been officially replaced.

Diagnostic equipment can retrieve the actual recorded milegage from the ECU.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Buck Turgidson

Had the dash fail on our 05 Scenic. Replaced by a Renault main dealer, but they had no way of downloading the correct milage from the cars' onboard computer.

So the car may not be clocked, but (if it is anything like mine) you shouldn't walk away, you should run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Anecdote: I was in getting my car serviced a few days ago when the mechanic got a call about a Scenic that had broken down. After the call, the mechanic said he reckoned the Scenic was one of the least reliable cars on the road, singling out the 1.9 dci as particularly awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Electric windows can give bother on these but I think Renault will fix them free of charge regardless of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Buck Turgidson

Plug wrote: »
    Electric windows can give bother on these but I think Renault will fix them free of charge regardless of age.

If Renault are fixing Grand Scenic stuff f.o.c. then I better get onto them about the Dephaser Pulley, Dashboard, Handbrake Module, Cracked Cylinder head, Wheel Bearing, Collapsed Front Suspension, A/c fan control (x 2), etc etc

So far they have agreed to a "free" dephaser pulley (rrp €110) fitted at a main Dealer for c €650 when car was six months out of warranty, and new Dash fitted for €110, after BBC Watchdog had hounded them into it. But on the plus side our windows have worked ok so far, so knowing my luck Plug is probably correct about the free fix :-)

But OP will no doubt be told they have magically corrected all these (in my opinion design fault) issues on the post 2008 models. But my 05 was fine for two and a half years, so .......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

listermint wrote: »
    That is a load of bull. unless of course it had an entire engine replaced....

And even then it should still read the original mileage. The engine isn't the only part of the car that wears with mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BornInThe80's

Thanks everybody, decided not to go with it. Seems a bit unreliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Foxy2010

Bit late on the reply peoples, but better late than never,
    Renault are replacing dash clocks in the scenic the customer pays 110 euro.
    The garage who changed them can give you a letter saying what milage they are changed at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement