Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Comeraghs

Options
  • 30-08-2011 1:58pm

Staying in East Cork in a few weeks, might get a few hours to head out on the Comeraghs. Seems like Coomshingaun circuit is the big draw there. Anyone got any suggestions for a 5 or 6 hour trek, preferably with ridges or scrambling and the potential to bag a few summits. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Looped I take it or will you have 2 cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

1 suggestion:

Park in the Nire Valley car park.Climb up from Spilogue lakes via one of the gullies. Cross the plateau to Coumshinaun - well worth a look. From there to Crotty's Rock (great for a lunch break). From there head to Coum Iarthar and descend down to the lakes accross to the gap and back to the car.

There's also scrambling if you come up by Mahon Falls

Roen wrote: »
    Looped I take it or will you have 2 cars?

Not sure yet, but probably 1.
    Down South wrote: »
    1 suggestion:

Park in the Nire Valley car park.Climb up from Spilogue lakes via one of the gullies. Cross the plateau to Coumshinaun - well worth a look. From there to Crotty's Rock (great for a lunch break). From there head to Coum Iarthar and descend down to the lakes accross to the gap and back to the car.

There's also scrambling if you come up by Mahon Falls

Great, thanks for that. Will check it out on the free osi map thing online and see if I can find that.

Trying to squeeze all those into a 5 or 6 hour trek would be tricky.
    Absolutely get Coumshingaun in, and while it's the star of the show the Comeraghs are no one trick pony.

Would suggest Parking up in Kilclooney wood, S342 102, OS Discovery series 75 and heading up the track that leads from there until you hit a forestry road, heading right and passing under the 'big tree' (telephone mast in disguise) until you hit a fence. I usually head straight on at this and then gain the obvious ridge, some people head up straight away, but it's much of a muchness.

You'll spot a large obvious bolder on the ridge, make for this. From here you can either follow the track downwards to the lake or continue on up the south ridge.

If you go to the lake there is a good route up the SW gully (rear left corner of the lake). This would fulfil your desire for a long (mucky) scramble. The ridge itself is no cake walk though and is the more scenic of the two ways up. Bear in mid there are exposed sections of either, particularly the very last 35-40m of the ridge walk.

From here I'd take in unamed spot height 792, the highest point in the range. Although it is called Fauscoum locally and in some guides. You're pretty much on an undulating plateau at this stage. From here perhaps over to Knockaunapeebra and on to Coummahon and a view of the falls.
    Or north to Crotty's and/or the Sgilloges. Taking in a view of the Knockanaffrin ridge, a good ridge walk for another day.

Return and descend via the north ridge of Coumshingaun.

It'll be a tough enjoyable day. But hopefully Kerry will have steeled you for it!

The usual caveats of mountain travel apply of course. Best of luck weatherwise and have fun no matter what route you take.

The De La Salle scouts have good info on the Coum and the Comeraghs in general.

http://www.dlscouts.ie/comeraghs.html
    http://www.dlscouts.ie/colenn/comeraghclimbs.html
    http://www.facebook.com/rathgormackclimbing

Bring your trunks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAfNc02vHnA

Also a quick plug of an upcoming climbing meet in the Coum, Sept 17th.
    http://forum.climbing.ie/index.php/topic,4543.0.html

Thanks so much for that Roen. That was very detailed and helpful.

Think I may have found a guide on Mountainviews, so hope he'll take in much of the sections you recommend and will copy him with your suggestion.

Hope Kerry has steeled me alright. I like the airy scrambles and ridges with a little exposure. Not for me the long slogs across bogs...though we have plenty of them too.

Will check out those links. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Be sure and post back how you got on. It's not the most feted of Irish ranges but I feel it's highly overlooked.

Think I pretty much did this...in reverse.

Parked in the Nire Valley carpark and headed up through the Gap and on to Coum Iarthair. Then struck for Crotty's Rock, on to that side of the Coomshingaun Circuit, and headed for Fauscoum summit. Then headed across the plateau to Coumfea North Top, just saw the top of the Mahon Falls approach in the distance. From there, went on to Coumfea itself, and then its West Top, skiting around the bowl overlooking the Spilogue Lakes, and descended via the "nose" of Counfea West Top.

Must say was very pleasantly surprised. So much to see. Had previously walked some of the Galtees and found them a little boring, and they seem to be the big draw in the area. But the Comeraghs have a remarkable landscape, a plateau surrounded by a lot of summits of over 700m, with great drops off many of the sides. Some dramatic scenery, and some dramatic weather to boot, alternate sunshine and torrential rain, all the time driven by one heck of a wind across the plateau. And features like the "fingers" on the Coun Iarthair side of Carrignagower, Crottys Rock, the "Sean Bhean ag Caitheamh Tabac", the almost lunar like half crater effect at the back of the Sgillogue loughs beneath the Coumfeas...loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

glad you had a good day out

Conor74 wrote: »

Think I pretty much did this...in reverse.

Parked in the Nire Valley carpark and headed up through the Gap and on to Coum Iarthair. Then struck for Crotty's Rock, on to that side of the Coomshingaun Circuit, and headed for Fauscoum summit. Then headed across the plateau to Coumfea North Top, just saw the top of the Mahon Falls approach in the distance. From there, went on to Coumfea itself, and then its West Top, skiting around the bowl overlooking the Spilogue Lakes, and descended via the "nose" of Counfea West Top.

Must say was very pleasantly surprised. So much to see. Had previously walked some of the Galtees and found them a little boring, and they seem to be the big draw in the area. But the Comeraghs have a remarkable landscape, a plateau surrounded by a lot of summits of over 700m, with great drops off many of the sides. Some dramatic scenery, and some dramatic weather to boot, alternate sunshine and torrential rain, all the time driven by one heck of a wind across the plateau. And features like the "fingers" on the Coun Iarthair side of Carrignagower, Crottys Rock, the "Sean Bhean ag Caitheamh Tabac", the almost lunar like half crater effect at the back of the Sgillogue loughs beneath the Coumfeas...loved it.

Yeah. Though to my surprise assumed I had bagged a county top with Fauscoum, but now see that Knockmealdown is higher. So guess that justifies another day out in that part of the world. Not sure I'd rush back up the Galtees though, have done Galtymore and Galtybeg which was just a stroll over well worn tracks meeting large groups along the way. To my mind the Comeraghs whip 'em, though the carpark was full only met 4 or 5 people in the whole day, I guess the area is large enough to take a crowd, unlike some ridge like ranges where everyone is more or less on the same path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Yeah. Though to my surprise assumed I had bagged a county top with Fauscoum, but now see that Knockmealdown is higher. So guess that justifies another day out in that part of the world. Not sure I'd rush back up the Galtees though, have done Galtymore and Galtybeg which was just a stroll over well worn tracks meeting large groups along the way. To my mind the Comeraghs whip 'em, though the carpark was full only met 4 or 5 people in the whole day, I guess the area is large enough to take a crowd, unlike some ridge like ranges where everyone is more or less on the same path.

I'd say I was up Knockmealdown the same day! Knockmealdowns are pretty tame to be honest but you can bag the County Top in a few hours. Got a lift back along the road with a farmer and he told me I should check out the Comeraghs, said they were far more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

I was down in the Knockmealdowns yesterday, they're certainly a lot tamer than the Comeraghs, very similar to the Galtees. However the views from Knockmealdown itself are great, you can see right out to the coast, the Blackwater, Mount Mellary, Cappoquin and the Galtees and Sievenamon off in the distance.

There's a nice 8KM route from the Vee carpark, up to Sugarloaf, over to Knockmealdown and then head south-west back down to the road, or just retrace the route.

If you're a bit underwhelmed by the Galtees, take a look at the northern side, there are some tasty scrambles from Lough Muskry and Lough Diheen.

I was down in the Knockmealdowns yesterday, they're certainly a lot tamer than the Comeraghs, very similar to the Galtees. However the views from Knockmealdown itself are great, you can see right out to the coast, the Blackwater, Mount Mellary, Cappoquin and the Galtees and Sievenamon off in the distance.

There's a nice 8KM route from the Vee carpark, up to Sugarloaf, over to Knockmealdown and then head south-west back down to the road, or just retrace the route.

If you're a bit underwhelmed by the Galtees, take a look at the northern side, there are some tasty scrambles from Lough Muskry and Lough Diheen.

Done more or less the same route only in reverse and descended to the gap instead of the Vee. The gps log is at: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/115049698. It's a grand wee route, gives a feel for the range, has excellent views from the summit of Knockmealdown as you said and is a good way to pass a few hours.

Part of my county-top effort, have 22 done now so slowly getting there (done a write-up of a few of the earlier one's at: http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/?series=county-tops-of-ireland. Anyone else doing the County Tops by the way? Have heard Moyalussa is something of a crawl through a bog!

paulocon wrote: »
    Anyone else doing the County Tops by the way? Have heard Moyalussa is something of a crawl through a bog!

No. Very much the opposite! On MV I think I have about 180, I'd say about 160 are in the Kerry/West Cork area. My aim is to do as many as possible in this part of the world, have done all the Mangertons, Reeks, Purple Mountains (which can be done in one go) now finishing up the Cahas and Dunkerrons, then Shehy/Knockboy. I'm lucky in that I have 100 tops within 17km of my house, the Mangertons just behind me and I like the fact that my knowledge is maybe more intensive rather than expansive...and it's very handy in these days of expensive petrol prices!

I must go back to the Galtees mind, one of the dissapointing things for me was the sheer numbers on it, it was busier than Carrauntoohil up there but was only going up Galtymore and Galtybeg which I guess are the main targets for everyone. Presume access from the north a bit quieter.

paulocon wrote: »
    Anyone else doing the County Tops by the way? Have heard Moyalussa is something of a crawl through a bog!

Did it little over a month ago. It's grand 90% of the way but it's a right mess toward the end.

I've often been out for a day or two at a time in the Comeraghs and not seen a single person. It's great :)

For anyone interested, a write-up of my walk on the Knockmealdowns. One more county top down!

http://climbingirelandsmountains.blogspot.com/2011/09/evening-in-knocmealdowns.html

Is that your blog?

Nice stuff. Only go on Mountainviews, nice to see another site.

Plus I've just clicked on your links and see a facebook page for "Walking and Hiking Ireland". Mountainviews is a great resource, but it's not the best social networking tool. It really is more about the information on hills and mountains then a site where people go on and say "anyone heading up X this weekend", or that day to day cyber chat stuff.

Is that your blog?

Nice stuff. Only go on Mountainviews, nice to see another site.

Plus I've just clicked on your links and see a facebook page for "Walking and Hiking Ireland". Mountainviews is a great resource, but it's not the best social networking tool. It really is more about the information on hills and mountains then a site where people go on and say "anyone heading up X this weekend", or that day to day cyber chat stuff.

Conor,

It is indeed my humble blog. It's something I put together to keep track of my efforts to climb/walk all the 2,000 footers. A bit rough and ready but nice to have a record and a few photos of each mountain.

I also run the Walking and Hiking Ireland website, it's something I do when I have a wee bit of spare time but it can be a struggle to get content for it. Setup a facebook page for it a bit back so we'll see how that goes!

I love Mountainviews.ie, it's a fantastic resource and I know the guys there are looking into developing the website on. One of the sites I always use if I'm planning to hit the hills!

Advertisement