Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build now or wait for Ivy Bridge/Southern Islands

Options
  • 30-08-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

My current rig (Q6600, 4870 512MB) is starting to show its age so I'm thinking of upgrading in advance of the big game releases over the next few months.

I'd be looking at a 2500K, 6950 sort of build but I'm hesitating slightly.

I'll be going for a Z68 mobo so upgrading to Ivy Bridge won't be an issue. My main concern is whether it's worth my while to go with a 6950 now and upgrade later.

Are Southern Islands GPUs going to be able to provide such huge performance increases that a 6950 will be immediately considered a mid-range card and lose most of its resale value?

I know generally people will say there's always something better coming around the corner so just buy now, but then again die shrinks only come around so often.

What's the sensible move here?

Advertisement