Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oughterard hotel threatens to close during Ironman event

Options
  • 30-08-2011 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

OUGHTERARD HOTEL THREATENS TO CLOSE DURING IRON MAN EVENT

August 30, 2011 - 1:20pm - GalwayNews.ie
    OUGHTERARD HOTEL THREATENS TO CLOSE DURING IRON MAN EVENT

Management at an Oughterard hotel are claiming they may be forced to close during this weekend's Iron Man event.
    The Connemara Gateway Hotel is situated on the N59 road which will be partially closed from 7am to 2pm next Sunday to facilitate race participants.
    The hotel estimates it will lose in the region of €20,000 in revenue due to cancellations from tour operators.

Seems not all boats are being lifted!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They will be able to get the tour buses off early if they arrange it with de Guards. Will make feck all in the bar on Saturday night all the same! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They will be able to get the tour buses off early if they arrange it with de Guards. Will make feck all in the bar on Saturday night all the same! :)

Caught the GB FM news at 1 earlier. There was a young wan on from the hotel saying that they will lose the All Ireland final telly watchin business as well as their usual Sunday lunch trade.

Jeez €20k - thats some lolly for a weekend for a hotel off the beaten track.

I wonder if NAMA is lookin to offload an ould Ghost hotel or 2...Sure there can't be that much to it. I am good at cookin the fry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The amount of roads closed and the length of the closures is off the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's a long race for the elite, even longer for the regular Joes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

scholar007 wrote: »
    Jeez €20k - thats some lolly for a weekend for a hotel off the beaten track.

Don't know if that figure is accurate or not, but I drive that road regularly. I did Clifden-ish to Oughterard yesterday, and I did Clifden-ish to Galway today. Never seen as much traffic on the road as yesterday. Connemara is quite a popular area and the N59 is the main artery, it will affect businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

I visit that area alot and have relatives there, it seems to me from the ironman website that people living north (lakeside) of the N59 from Bushypark, Moycullen, Roscahill and Oughterard will be landlocked for the duration of the race 7am to 2pm. I think this is a bit OTT and very unfair on residents, I'm sure there are other businesses in these areas that are set to lose out. I'd like to know who makes these decisions to allow such an event to take place, why and what considerations they have for the public, very little in my opinion. Its a private company who run this event why infringe on local peoples right to free movement for a private company?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭thebackbar

Me again! wrote: »
    I visit that area alot and have relatives there, it seems to me from the ironman website that people living north (lakeside) of the N59 from Bushypark, Moycullen, Roscahill and Oughterard will be landlocked for the duration of the race 7am to 2pm. I think this is a bit OTT and very unfair on residents,

Yes it will be pretty hard on the residents, but its only for one day. Its pretty common to close roads here in Ireland and abroad for races like these. Put simply you couldn't dream of putting an event like this on without full road closures. Cyclists going at high speed mixed with cars just doesn't work.

The Ironman organization wouldn't dream of coming to Ireland without full road closures.
    I'm sure there are other businesses in these areas that are set to lose out.

Some business will lose out but the majority of business's will benefit from the event, not alone based on the number of people planning on staying in Galway this weekend but also the number of people that have being visiting Galway over the last few weekends to train on the course. Plus the exposure Galway will get given the event is going to be televised globally.
    I'd like to know who makes these decisions to allow such an event to take place,
    City Council and Galway Co Co I would imagine
    why
    I would guess the huge international exposure it will give the city ?
    and what considerations they have for the public, very little in my opinion.
    I would imagine that they have weighed up the pros and cons, one day of inconvenience versus year long international exposure for the city ?
    Its a private company who run this event why infringe on local peoples right to free movement for a private company?

no different to the dublin city marthon, the various rallies around the country, the bike ras etc etc etc etc

you cant do these things without road closures.

Pain in the ass, yeah sure, but its one day, get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

People will moan about anything. We should be greatful that an international event is coming to Galway - it's great exposure for the city and a great event. Get out and support the athletes for the day and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

You said it best bro......just another cushy number for the elite!

The closure of roads for those who have the time and money to spend in gyms pumping and pushin.....

.....as if they don't get enough from this country.

Who loses out? ... regular Mr / Mrs Soap with their meagre catering jobs up at the Oughterard Hotel trying to make the half pence meet the pence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

thats the problem with the attitude of some business's in general not just in galway.

This hotel has the opportunity to advertise on a world stage for FREE there will be filming going on all day and passing by there door. I wouldnt be ringing galway bay fm i'd be onto the sign makers getting a big sign erected right beside the road so I could advertise to the world for free

Also as someone else said all these iron men or women need to stay in Galway so why not do a deal for the weekend for iron man participants with a bit of luck you might get the winner and trophy staying in your hotel or offer it as a prize to the winner

Nice picture of the champ and the trophy on the wall of your hotel and the winner telling everyone about the craic in the hotel.

no this is ireland we'll just moan ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

books4sale wrote: »

The closure of roads for those who have the time and money to spend in gyms pumping and pushin.....

Who loses out? ... regular Mr / Mrs Soap with their meagre catering jobs up at the Oughterard Hotel trying to make the half pence meet the pence.

Quite frankly, you're attitude is typical of everything Irish these days...lets always find the problems.

I'm an average Joe Soap, who works hard to pay my way. I don't have 'money to spend in a gym pumping and pushin...' as you put it. What i have done is spent a lot of time swimming in the sea, cycling and running on the roads preparing for this event. Avoiding irrational and unpredictable motorists has been the hardest part of trying to train. With over 2000 cyclists on the course, the road needs to be closed for the safety of all involved.

The claims that the hotel will lose 20k in one day is ridiculous, I reckon it would hardly make that much money in a month.

Events like the Ironman bring tourists and visitors into the region, which is which is what will keep Mr/ Mrs Soap in their 'meagre jobs' in the hotel industry. Bringing money and media attention into this country should be encouraged, even if it inconvieniences some people for a few hours of one day of the whole year.

ratracer wrote: »
    Quite frankly, you're attitude is typical of everything Irish these days...lets always find the problems.

With over 2000 cyclists on the course, the road needs to be closed for the safety of all involved.

You gotta find the problems to work out the solutions.

Who pays tax for the roads? One word....motorists!

Think about that!

Schooled & owned! ......2 for da price 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought it was only a half ironman event, so they won't even have a flying and shooting lazer beams from your hands section. It is a bit much that you need an iron man suit but it should be fun watching them swim in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Ironman is a good event for Galway. The exposure will help every business in the long term.

That Oughterard Hotel should put up with the temporary inconvenience for the common good.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

I think they chose the wrong road for the cycle because the alternative routes are nuts! Thousands of householders between the N59 and Lough Corrib will be stuck because they live on cul de sacs.... People in Oughterard have to detour over the Shannapheasteen road to Rossaveal in order to get to Galway! Have the organisers ever driven this boreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

nuac wrote: »
    for the common good.

Is that you Catherine? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You gotta find the problems to work out the solutions.

Think about that!

Motorists pay motor tax for the right to use their cars on the road, all taxpayers pay for the roads i.e pedestrians, cyclists etc can also use the roads and have as much right to use the roads as cars.

all taxpayers pay for the roads

Thanks for the clarification. It needed to be said.

The roads should be open for EVERYONE. not just the elite.

Best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

what is this talk about "elites?" I know some of the entrants. Ordinary 2 X 4 people whose hobby is cycling and who take part in various such events, triathlons, Gaelforce etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

nuac wrote: »
    Ironman is a good event for Galway. The exposure will help every business in the long term.

That Oughterard Hotel should put up with the temporary inconvenience for the common good.

Da Comrade Commissar - The collective is more important than the individual. I'm preparing to be assimilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Thanks for the clarification. It needed to be said.

The roads should be open for EVERYONE. not just the elite.

Best

What are you on about? As has been said before, there is a large number of ordinary people taking part as well and the term 'elite' refers to elite athletes, in the context of race time. It needed to be said.

And are you seriously ranting against temporary road closures for events like this? What about road closures for the Galway Arts Festival Parade or the Galway Ocean Race? What about the Air Show?

I think they chose the wrong road for the cycle because the alternative routes are nuts! Thousands of householders between the N59 and Lough Corrib will be stuck because they live on cul de sacs.... People in Oughterard have to detour over the Shannapheasteen road to Rossaveal in order to get to Galway! Have the organisers ever driven this boreen?

The road network is unfortunate, agreed, and it will cause mobility inconvenience for those living in that area. However, the road closure is known well in advance, and it has been communicated again and again over the past weeks.
    The closure is between 7am and 2pm on Sunday, and I'd say smart people have thought about making arrangements and planned around this (as you do).

What are you on about? As has been said before, there is a large number of ordinary people taking part as well and the term 'elite' refers to elite athletes, in the context of race time. It needed to be said.

And are you seriously ranting against temporary road closures for events like this? What about road closures for the Galway Arts Festival Parade or the Galway Ocean Race? What about the Air Show?

OK goalscoringdude, we're gettin to the facts.

FACT: Everyone pays tax, everyone has a right to use the roads.

FACT: Residents along the route are trapped in their homes.

FACT: Oughterard Hotel will suffer due to road closures.

Let's be straight, the countrys on its knees & we're shuttin' down roads so few lads can go for a jog :eek:...... frying pans to fires Batman!

Arts Festival and Ocean Race get everyone involved, these are massive events I support. Who wants to watch a few lads puffin' and pantin' their way through the bog?

90 minutes played...1-0......no extra time..the home fans cheer, thanks!

:cool:

90 minutes played...1-0......no extra time..the home fans cheer, thanks!

:cool:
    Best

sheesh, grow up willya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This is the kind of attitude that holds back everything

Galway businesses were happy to get extra custom from the air show but wouldn't contribute enough to the committee.

If that Hotel were smart they would get free advertising with a banner, sell out their rooms to organizers and participants and make a fortune on post race pissup and award ceremony

No, just sit back and knock it

sheesh, grow up willya

Thanks for checkin out my posts, I obviously made an impression.

.....those that do and those that don't in this world.

Same with opinions, I don't roll with the staus quo.

Now if you can't contribute with an opinion then don't reduce yourself to throwing cheap shots at my methods of communication.

Your cheap shot says more bout you than it does about me

.....nuff said! Kick it! :cool:

Let's have a look at what you present as FACTs:
    FACT: Everyone pays tax, everyone has a right to use the roads.
    If a road is closed people cannot use it, regardless whether you pay tax.
    Also: what about children/students/retired people/anyone who does not pay tax? Do they thus have no right to use roads?

FACT: Residents along the route are trapped in their homes.
    They are road closures, and they are in place on a Sunday between 7am and 2pm. It's not a curfew, people are not trapped in their homes.

FACT: Oughterard Hotel will suffer due to road closures.
    This remains yet to be seen. People before have pointed out that the Ironman is an event that generates revenue influx to the entire region, I would be very surprised if this does not also trickle down to the Oughterard hotel.

Let's be straight, the countrys on its knees & we're shuttin' down roads so few lads can go for a jog :eek:...... frying pans to fires Batman!
    It's not just a few. And it's not a jog.
    You need to be more precise in your language usage in order to be taken seriously.

Arts Festival and Ocean Race get everyone involved, these are massive events I support.
    This is obviously a matter of personal preference.

Who wants to watch a few lads puffin' and pantin' their way through the bog?
    Not you anyway, you made that pretty clear.

This has happened all over summer in different places of the country, for various cycles, marathons and triathlons, and while it may have caused inconvenience for some local residents, those who were affected were able to cope with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

mikemac wrote: »
    If that Hotel were smart they would get free advertising with a banner, sell out their rooms to organizers and participants and make a fortune on post race pissup and award ceremony

The event starts in Salthill.

The event finishes in Salthill.

The bike race passes through Oughterard on its way back to Salthill. Why would any of the organizers/participants want to stay in the Oughterard hotel in question?

I don't see there being an influx of people coming to Galway of Race Week proportions for this event, so the Salthill/City hotels will get all the 'action'.

Advertisement