Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oughterard hotel threatens to close during Ironman event

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭tphase

I don't have a problem with road closures for events like this but for 7 hours? The biggest bike races in the world run with rolling road closures, no reason this event could not do the same if they used a circular route (eg Galway to Maam Cross via R336 and back to Galway via N59)

The information provided to residents is badly laid out, the information is in there but needed to be in the simplest possible terms and in easily readable type. The map shows the route but does not even specify something as simple as the start and end point. (Thanks to Rich T for enlightening me on that)
    The road signs that I've seen are all in Irish - I can read them but there are plenty including tourists who can't. Apart from around Moycullen and (possibly) the Mountain road section, the rest of the route is not in the Gaeltacht so a few in English would have been helpful.

The organisers claim a E3million injection into the local economy - Salthill and Galway will presumably get a tangible boost, all the rest will have to be happy with a few seconds footage if the news or Nationwide cover the event. I for one will be injecting my cash elsewhere this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Goalscoringdude...

You make some good points, I respect that.

...........but I don't agree with road closures.

It remains to be seen what 'Ironman' will do for business.

......it's no case closed, cash registers ringing for everyone, that's an everyman's opinion and easily roared from rooftops.

Best.

properly organised, this event might be run with 1/2 or at most 1 hour road closures.

I don't know how they calculate the economic impact but the will most likely use the most optimistic parameters to make their case
    books4sale wrote: »
    Goalscoringdude...
    It remains to be seen what 'Ironman' will do for business.

......it's no case closed, cash registers ringing for everyone, that's an everyman's opinion and easily roared from rooftops.
    agreed ....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

I still maintain they picked the wrong route for the cycle - you can say it isn't a curfew if you like, but thousands of households will either be confined inside their own front gate (if they live on the N59) or will be confined to their own side road with no route out (if they live anywhere off the N59) for seven hours!!!!

The N59 is almost unique in Galway in having a large lake to one side and a range of low hills on the other - only a couple of roads cross these hills towards to coast, and they are also closing one of those. If the race was held elsewhere (in east Galway for example), people would usually have an option to ''go the other way" - negotiate a series of backroads and 'get out' to another main route that isn't closed - Most people living on or just off the N59 corridor don't have this option unless they want to get in a boat or hike over a hill....

So - other options? Well, we're looking for a good quality road that can be closed with minimal interference to the local population....Ideally one that doesn't have loads of people living on it, that doesn't have loads of small roads opening on to it which each will require stewards, one which has a very good alternative route available (not like the boreen over Shannapheasteen mountain that Oughterard - Galway traffic is expected to use...)...

It's called the M6 people!! Close the eastbound lanes from Galway to Loughrea, keeping the westbound traffic flowing as normal. Run eastbound traffic along the old N6 through Craughwell and let them rejoin the motorway at Loughrea. Run the cyclists out-and-back on the eastbound carriageway.

No properties are accessed directly from the motorway, so no people are confined to their homes.
    Only a handfull of motorway on-ramps need to be closed, so less than 20 stewards/gardaí could control it - no need to close dozens of local roads with thousands of houses on them.
    The surface is good, so no need for last-minute rush-job road surfacing like we've seen on the N59 lately.
    The alternative route is wide, fast and safe (it's the old Dublin-Galway road) and well able to cope with Sunday-morning traffic loads.

Have your bike/run transition in Ballybrit racecourse if you like and then let the runners run back across the city to the finish in Salthill...

I should be getting paid as a consultant for this!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

To all the peeps on here,

There are folk here who are part of the race, and there are those who are against the race in their are. When it comes to any changes in personal habits/ routines, there is alway a big shout out from all the NIMBY's.

Why not give the race a chance and see how it works out. The organisers have brought a worldwide event, not just 'a few lads out for a jog' which will bring in revenue and worldwide media attention to the west of Ireland.
    Maybe the organisers picked the wrong route?? I'm sure any feedback will be welcomed and taken in to account when planning next years race.

I am taking part in the race, so obviously i welcome it. On the other hand, my house in the south east of the county is located on a stage of the motor rally and on those days i've been locked in for six or seven hours, but later in the day, up until 4pm. It happens, not very often, so we get on with it.

I think curiosity will get the better of most people along the route, and 2pm will come around before they know it.

I'll be interested to read this thread on monday and again later in the week to get posters reaction to the day.
    Enjoy, (or don't)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

^^^^

The race is getting a chance.

....... let's hope if there are probs that they're (pardon the pun) ironed for next year.

Here's hoping it is a success, f**k knows this country could do with a bit of it right now!

Best of luck to all those taking part.

I'm outta here........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The race isn't the reason some people are put out. Most people won't have any interest in the race what so ever. However if they need to be somewhere on Sunday, they're put out through no fault of their own. I know people who're off on holidays on Sunday and have to pretty much leave half a day early. Not sure how emergencies would be handled. There are lots of events that go on through out the world, plain fact of it is, if you're not involved or interested in it then it's a complication if you have to find a work around.

I also don't buy this craic of it being a type of tide to lift all boats. Starts and finishes in the city so it's very much a city pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I still maintain they picked the wrong route for the cycle - you can say it isn't a curfew if you like, but thousands of households will either be confined inside their own front gate (if they live on the N59) or will be confined to their own side road with no route out (if they live anywhere off the N59) for seven hours!!!!

The N59 is almost unique in Galway in having a large lake to one side and a range of low hills on the other - only a couple of roads cross these hills towards to coast, and they are also closing one of those. If the race was held elsewhere (in east Galway for example), people would usually have an option to ''go the other way" - negotiate a series of backroads and 'get out' to another main route that isn't closed - Most people living on or just off the N59 corridor don't have this option unless they want to get in a boat or hike over a hill....

So - other options? Well, we're looking for a good quality road that can be closed with minimal interference to the local population....Ideally one that doesn't have loads of people living on it, that doesn't have loads of small roads opening on to it which each will require stewards, one which has a very good alternative route available (not like the boreen over Shannapheasteen mountain that Oughterard - Galway traffic is expected to use...)...

It's called the M6 people!! Close the eastbound lanes from Galway to Loughrea, keeping the westbound traffic flowing as normal. Run eastbound traffic along the old N6 through Craughwell and let them rejoin the motorway at Loughrea. Run the cyclists out-and-back on the eastbound carriageway.

No properties are accessed directly from the motorway, so no people are confined to their homes.
    Only a handfull of motorway on-ramps need to be closed, so less than 20 stewards/gardaí could control it - no need to close dozens of local roads with thousands of houses on them.
    The surface is good, so no need for last-minute rush-job road surfacing like we've seen on the N59 lately.
    The alternative route is wide, fast and safe (it's the old Dublin-Galway road) and well able to cope with Sunday-morning traffic loads.

Have your bike/run transition in Ballybrit racecourse if you like and then let the runners run back across the city to the finish in Salthill...

I should be getting paid as a consultant for this!!!:rolleyes:
    Have you ever cycled on a motorway?

It'd be more exciting racing to line up all the cyclists on turbo trainers and let them do the 90k that way. Sending them out connamara will also showcase the scenery out there and by having an out and back course they will need half the number of stewards than a loop course.

It'd be more exciting racing to line up all the cyclists on turbo trainers and let them do the 90k that way. Sending them out connamara will also showcase the scenery out there and by having an out and back course they will need half the number of stewards than a loop course.

Ah, so it is OK to restrict a few thousand households inside their front gates for 7 hours on the basis that cycling the N59 is more interesting? Right....

And anyway, what loop course are you talking about? Read the post...

Does it really matter if it was on a motorway? A race is a race is a race. Can't be any less exciting than on a track and hardly worth closing part of a national primary route, with no alternative, for 7 hours just in case someone takes their nose off the handlebars to look at the scenery (the best of which is further west and north-west of the route and gets well showcased anyway)

• Advertisement

Ah, so it is OK to restrict a few thousand households inside their front gates for 7 hours on the basis that cycling the N59 is more interesting? Right....

And anyway, what loop course are you talking about? Read the post...

Look it's happening, these people would have had a chance to object to the closure if it was that much of an issue for them. As has been posted here these things happen the world over. Maybe it's just that Ireland has more complainers than other countries.

Are you one of these "thousands" of households restricted by the road closure tomorrow or are you just a having a moan?
    tphase wrote: »
    Does it really matter if it was on a motorway? A race is a race is a race. Can't be any less exciting than on a track and hardly worth closing part of a national primary route, with no alternative, for 7 hours just in case someone takes their nose off the handlebars to look at the scenery (the best of which is further west and north-west of the route and gets well showcased anyway)

From your post I can take it that you have never raced a bike on a DC or motorway so you don't know what you are on about.

It makes a huge difference and I'll leave it at that and I'm speaking from experience here. I'll agree that there are nicer parts of the connamara they could have used but I'm sure there are lots of other factors that helped them decide on the route

Look it's happening, these people would have had a chance to object to the closure if it was that much of an issue for them. As has been posted here these things happen the world over. Maybe it's just that Ireland has more complainers than other countries.

Are you one of these "thousands" of households restricted by the road closure tomorrow or are you just a having a moan?

From your post I can take it that you have never raced a bike on a DC or motorway so you don't know what you are on about.

It makes a huge difference and I'll leave it at that and I'm speaking from experience here. I'll agree that there are nicer parts of the connamara they could have used but I'm sure there are lots of other factors that helped them decide on the route

From your post, I take it you are not one of the thousands of affected households. There was no prior consultation or opportunity to object as far as I'm aware. Maybe I missed that flyer in my letterbox ...

Perhaps you'd do us the courtesy of explaining this "huge difference" rather than being patronising and dismissive of people who have a perfectly legitimate complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Surprised at the amount of moaning about arrangements for Ironman. It will be a great event, and will attract business to Galway and area for this weekend and in the future. A lot of employment in Galway depends on tourism. Omlettes. Eggs.

Gaelforce have run a series of successful events in Mayo from Killaries into Westport. Perhaps Ironman should call Westport if they find many Galwegians would prefer they go elsewhere.

tphase wrote: »
    From your post, I take it you are not one of the thousands of affected households. There was no prior consultation or opportunity to object as far as I'm aware. Maybe I missed that flyer in my letterbox ...

Perhaps you'd do us the courtesy of explaining this "huge difference" rather than being patronising and dismissive of people who have a perfectly legitimate complaint
    All road closure notices are posted in the papers by the relevant council, the same as planning and liquor license applications. People then have a chance to object to the council.

Try cycling on a flat wide open undulating road with no end or marker in sight. Motorways originally used to be completely straight and flat until people started dozing off and crashing. Cycling on one is the very same, it feels like it will never end and is usually why there are no races on them. A 56 mile cycle is tough enough and having it on smaller type roads keeps the mind focused and makes it pass faster

It's also illegal to cycle on a motorway

'These people' didn't really have a chance to object - the proposed road closure was sanctioned months ago and most residents only heard about it in recent weeks (by flyer and electronic signage) after the plan had become a fait accompli and objections were no longer possible.

Since you put a word I used a few times [thousands] in quotation marks, I assume you are trying to cast doubt on the accuracy of the term without actually calling me out on it - the five DEDs through which the route passes from Oughterard to Moycullen contain over 6100 residents (others, not included in this figure, live on the N59 to the west and east of this core area). The vast majority of these people have no means of getting out of this area without using the N59.

Yes, I do live in the area and, yes, I must use the N59 to access anywhere other than the little cul de sac I live on so, yes, the road closures had a severe impact on my plans for the weekend.

Portraying people who have a genuine complaint about the road closures as moaners doesn't strengthen your argument one bit...

I completed this race today, in what have to be some of the toughtest conditions i've ever raced in, and no i'm not a professional athlete, i'll be back at work in the morning.

Many thanks to all the supporters and marshalls along the bike route, they shortened the journey and gave all the athletes a great welcome. In that weather today, were that many people planning to use the roads this morning, I doubt it. They were open again by 2pm, perhaps even earlier if the last cyclist had gone through. The race was a great success, i hope it goes from strength to strength. I for one will raise some small concerns with the organisers so they can improve for next rae, i sincerely hope the anonymous people posting here do the same. The race isn't meant to intrude on peoples daily lives, but it's one day a year, and the route has to go somewhere, so their will always be NIMBY's complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

ratracer wrote: »
    I completed this race today, in what have to be some of the toughtest conditions i've ever raced in, and no i'm not a professional athlete, i'll be back at work in the morning.

Many thanks to all the supporters and marshalls along the bike route, they shortened the journey and gave all the athletes a great welcome. In that weather today, were that many people planning to use the roads this morning, I doubt it. They were open again by 2pm, perhaps even earlier if the last cyclist had gone through. The race was a great success, i hope it goes from strength to strength. I for one will raise some small concerns with the organisers so they can improve for next rae, i sincerely hope the anonymous people posting here do the same. The race isn't meant to intrude on peoples daily lives, but it's one day a year, and the route has to go somewhere, so their will always be NIMBY's complaining.

Considering it was supposed to be watched by millions all over the world and it was so high profile why wasnt it on RTE? In fact i didnt even hear it mentioned on RTE today on TV or Radio. It got a mention on Galway bfm sport. I think someone did a great job at hyping this event up to get these road closures. I think Galway city and county council were duped along with the chamber of commerce. Its a pity so many people were inconvienced for an event that could have gone ahead with a rolling road closurer if a proper route was selected and everyone could have got on with what they needed to do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Me again! wrote: »
    Considering it was supposed to be watched by millions all over the world and it was so high profile why wasnt it on RTE? In fact i didnt even hear it mentioned on RTE today on TV or Radio.

There was a piece about it on the RTE six o clock news this evening.

'These people' didn't really have a chance to object - the proposed road closure was sanctioned months ago and most residents only heard about it in recent weeks (by flyer and electronic signage) after the plan had become a fait accompli and objections were no longer possible.

Since you put a word I used a few times [thousands] in quotation marks, I assume you are trying to cast doubt on the accuracy of the term without actually calling me out on it - the five DEDs through which the route passes from Oughterard to Moycullen contain over 6100 residents (others, not included in this figure, live on the N59 to the west and east of this core area). The vast majority of these people have no means of getting out of this area without using the N59.

Yes, I do live in the area and, yes, I must use the N59 to access anywhere other than the little cul de sac I live on so, yes, the road closures had a severe impact on my plans for the weekend.

Portraying people who have a genuine complaint about the road closures as moaners doesn't strengthen your argument one bit...

It's not my fault if people don't read the papers and were not aware of it. Also councillors elected by the people approved the closures so take it up with them.

Anyone affected by it had plenty of time to make alternative arrangements.

All road closure notices are posted in the papers by the relevant council, the same as planning and liquor license applications. People then have a chance to object to the council.
    Fair point. Like a lot of people, I don't read newspapers as frequently as I would have in the past but that's hardly the fault of the organisers. Still, for a project that seems to have been in gestation since mid-2009, it says something that so many people were unaware of it
    Try cycling on a flat wide open undulating road with no end or marker in sight. Motorways originally used to be completely straight and flat until people started dozing off and crashing. Cycling on one is the very same, it feels like it will never end and is usually why there are no races on them. A 56 mile cycle is tough enough and having it on smaller type roads keeps the mind focused and makes it pass faster
    Thanks for enlightening me, I stand corrected

It's also illegal to cycle on a motorway
    I imagine if a section were closed specifically for a bike race, that would not be an issue.

ratace wrote: »
    In that weather today, were that many people planning to use the roads this morning, I doubt it.
    I suppose the odd churchgoer who prefers to arrive dry doesn't count?
    By the way, I'm not a NIMBY, I'm happy to see events like this take place and will put up with a reasonable level of disruption but in this case I believe it was unnecessary and therefore unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

I live in Oughterard and travelled into Galway yesterday to see a friend complete the Ironman via the "diversion". I guess I was lucky that I had access to an alternative even if it meant I had to park my car in a different place so that I could get out. As I knew about it in advance I was able to make plans so it wasn't too much of an issue (for me :D)

I spoke to a member of the Gardai around 1200 yesterday just after the last cyclist had gone through the village and asked him if they'd be opening the road on a rolling basis now that the cycling had finished. He rolled his eyes and said that that would have made sense but that it wasn't approved so they couldn't. I think had that been an option there probably would have been far less outcry.

Like everything there will be those that mind and those that don't. For the people effectively locked into their roads up to 2pm I can certainly understand it. For those of us will an alternative (however lengthy) it was no more than an inconvenience....and as for the OP and the Hotel losing €20k - I think there may be a slight exaggeration there.

Caribs wrote: »
    I spoke to a member of the Gardai around 1200 yesterday just after the last cyclist had gone through the village and asked him if they'd be opening the road on a rolling basis now that the cycling had finished. He rolled his eyes and said that that would have made sense but that it wasn't approved so they couldn't. I think had that been an option there probably would have been far less outcry.

According to the city council website <http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/260811_01.html&gt;
    "The route will close to vehicles in advance of the first athlete and reopen as soon after the last athlete as is safe"
    The closure notice <http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/160611_01.html&gt; (no notice on the Co.Council site) indicates specific closure times for specific road sections so presumably the cops are bound to stick to that. If the event had to be cancelled, would they still leave the closures in place?

The notice was published on 16th June, submissions had to be in by noon on 30th June. That's June 2011, 2 months prior to an event which had been in planning since mid-2009 - hardly a reasonable consulation period. Clearly the decision had been already made.
    I reckon those councillors better figure out what loop circuits and rolling road closures are because if they propose the same route for next year, they will get a lot more submissions.

....and as for the OP and the Hotel losing €20k - I think there may be a slight exaggeration there.
    think they meant €20k in a month of Sunday's ....

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

for me that hotel made a bad publicity, but no matter what they say, but they say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

pepe00 wrote: »
    for me that hotel made a bad publicity, but no matter what they say, but they say...

:confused:

I'm pretty sure there was a Saturday night mass that people could have gone to if they really wanted too. IMO using the church as a reason to disrupt anything in Ireland counts for nothing anymore.

IMO using the church as a reason to disrupt anything in Ireland counts for nothing anymore.

You're absolutely right - people who have been quietly going to the same church every Sunday for decades should not be allowed to disrupt a triathlon! These peasants, with their bibles and their prayers, are soooo 20th century!! Who goes to Mass anymore anyway? Old folks - that's who!! People who don't understand that Lycra is king and that the new religion involves mass worship of carbon fibre frames - people who don't do triathlons disgust me, make me SICK I tell ya!!! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure there was a Saturday night mass that people could have gone to if they really wanted too. IMO using the church as a reason to disrupt anything in Ireland counts for nothing anymore.
    Who's using the church in such a manner? Not I, sir

You essentially argued that the excessive road closures are OK as, given the poor weather conditions, no one will want to use the road anyway. You are simply wrong in this regard. There is a longstanding tradition in this country of driving to church, regardless of the weather, bad weather generally results in more traffic and adversely affects the ability of drivers to park properly.
    As a god-fearing atheist, it's generally not an issue I have to concern myself with other than negotiating my way around these poorly parked cars.
    If one were to follow your argument to its logical conclusion, if the weather was good, more people would want to use the road and therefore it should remain open. I'm sorry but that argument is equally silly - or am I mis-interpreting?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eaglej13

scholar007 wrote: »
    OUGHTERARD HOTEL THREATENS TO CLOSE DURING IRON MAN EVENT

August 30, 2011 - 1:20pm - GalwayNews.ie
    OUGHTERARD HOTEL THREATENS TO CLOSE DURING IRON MAN EVENT

Management at an Oughterard hotel are claiming they may be forced to close during this weekend's Iron Man event.
    The Connemara Gateway Hotel is situated on the N59 road which will be partially closed from 7am to 2pm next Sunday to facilitate race participants.
    The hotel estimates it will lose in the region of €20,000 in revenue due to cancellations from tour operators.

Seems not all boats are being lifted!

lived in oughterard for 5 years, know the hotel well and alot of and i mean alot of ex staff,whom all left for financial reasons, €20000 is a joke, try 2,000. and that would be if the race stopped at the hotel. there trying to get compensation of some sorts, its beyond a joke

Advertisement