Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barna Tunnel Co Limerick

• 30-08-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Was Recently down walking the dog along the Gst (great southern trail) or as some people would call it the old railway track near barna. Heard alot of stories about the Old barna Tunnel. does anyone have any information on the history of it ? Alot of people say its haunted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Don't know much about the tunnel but my pal was born there at the station and his dad (DD Hartnett) was station master. His dad used to tell all kids that the place was haunted just to keep them out of the place, I stuck a few pics up on Derelict places website.

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?p=158237

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

I live very near there. I've never heard anything about the tunnel being haunted, but the bridge on the newcastle west side of the tunnel is said to be haunted by Sprid na Barna. This is best link I could find to the story. There is a little face of the spirit imprinted on the bridge just above the arch on the right hand side.
    http://myeurope.eun.org/ww/en/pub/myeurope/home/activities/citizenship/myths.cfm?fuseaction=detail&activityId=17&lang=en&id=2220

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That tunnel looks really spooky - didnt even know it was there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Ray Ray wrote: »
    Was Recently down walking the dog along the Gst (great southern trail) or as some people would call it the old railway track near barna. Heard alot of stories about the Old barna Tunnel. does anyone have any information on the history of it ? Alot of people say its haunted.

The great great grandfather of my next door neighbour was involved in the building of the tunnel. The construction of that section of railway took one hell of a lot of dynamite as I was told. Can't say I heard any stories of it being haunted but its certainly quite an imposing structure if not spooky. Bet you didn't make it over as far as the old railway station with the dog!

Took a stroll over there on one of the better days during the Summer. Certainly wouldn't have done it without wellies. It was a warm sunny day and the droplets of water falling the exit of the tunnel along with the bright sunlight flooding in as I was walking towards the railway station certainly made me a thirsty boy! The railway station is in a pretty sorry state now at this stage.

toothie wrote: »
    I live very near there. I've never heard anything about the tunnel being haunted, but the bridge on the newcastle west side of the tunnel is said to be haunted by Sprid na Barna. This is best link I could find to the story. There is a little face of the spirit imprinted on the bridge just above the arch on the right hand side.
    http://myeurope.eun.org/ww/en/pub/myeurope/home/activities/citizenship/myths.cfm?fuseaction=detail&activityId=17&lang=en&id=2220

Have heard quite a few tails of the Sprid na Barna. My father pointed out what is supposed to be the image to me when I was young but I couldn't see it for love nor money. Out of curiosity do you know the name of the bloke she is suppose to have killed in the fight? She would seem to be a bit of a man hater. Heard stories of people stopping in the area to give a woman a lift, only to turn around further on and discover shes no longer sitting in the car. I'd say that would freak me out a bit if it happened to me. I think such happenings are urban myths though probably. At least every 4th or 5th town in Ireland has a similar story doing the rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Very interesting, I always thought that tunnel was done away with. I'm probably thinking of the old road tunnel that used to be there, where the lay-by is now. I'm guessing that was about 25 years ago as I have vague memories of travelling under it as a kid.....on the road to Ballybunion probably :pac:

Johndaman, I had heard those stories about her no longer being in the car too, years ago though and I had forgotten about them. I was always fascinated by the story as a child! It really is just a story, but there is a very eerie feeling when you walk that section of the railway. I don't know the name of the man she killed but the story in the link I posted says her name was Moll O'Shaughnessy and she killed her husband. I must look it up again in the local library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Have heard quite a few tails of the Sprid na Barna. My father pointed out what is supposed to be the image to me when I was young but I couldn't see it for love nor money. Out of curiosity do you know the name of the bloke she is suppose to have killed in the fight? She would seem to be a bit of a man hater. Heard stories of people stopping in the area to give a woman a lift, only to turn around further on and discover shes no longer sitting in the car. I'd say that would freak me out a bit if it happened to me. I think such happenings are urban myths though probably. At least every 4th or 5th town in Ireland has a similar story doing the rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_hitchhiker

toothie wrote: »
    JI don't know the name of the man she killed but the story in the link I posted says her name was Moll O'Shaughnessy and she killed her husband. I must look it up again in the local library.

Thanks toothie, I was actually pondering the name of the name of the chap it is alleged she killed when she came back as a spirit as per the story in your link... i.e the man making his way home from Newcastle West to Meenoline who the Sprid Na Barna challenged to a fight? If you find out his identity please do share;)

Ta enfant terrible. The wikipedia article confirms what I pretty much already guessed was the case. I suppose a lot of these stories were circulated before TV took off to any major extent. People have always had the need to provide themselves with entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Ta enfant terrible. The wikipedia article confirms what I pretty much already guessed was the case. I suppose a lot of these stories were circulated before TV took off to any major extent. People have always had the need to provide themselves with entertainment.

No problem I found it here, great thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056363952

Will do. Sorry I misunderstood I comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 C.ohagan15

Eddie Lenihan version is wrong her name was Molly shaughnessy and she murdered her husband and child because she was forced to marry . the murders happened in the 1840s and she was hung in in limreck . Her soul returned to her home and haunted Barna. People at Barna station felt and saw strange things such as cold hands down there neck , people had scrape marks appear on there skin people got randomly sick others shortness or breath people as if they were choking while feeling cold hands at there necks but when it stopped no one was there people crashed vehicles-due to seeing a smiling corpse looking at them and in the recent years of her haunting people reported a women who was picked up at the station various times by people she looking for a lift and half way driving vanished . This continueselly happened for many many many years and lots of people got hurt until a man one night was passing on his horse going to get the doctor for his sick wife having a baby and he met the angry corpse who grabbed his throat and nearly choked him to death . He managed to beg her to let him live and he would get the doctor to save the wife and he would return this time next week adter threathing him he better he got the doctor and the Wife and child lived . He went next day to the parish priest to tell everything and the parish priest sent him to fetch a newly ordained priest for only they had fresh power to cast out souls. The parish priest went to the stonemason and had a round stone with her face made and the priest and the man went to the tunnel . The priest said his prayers as she flew over the Barna tunnel and he rose the stone announcing her time of terror up and by the power of Jesus Christ she was to be banished into the stone for eternity . She flew at them vanishing into it and they placed it into the wall of the tunnels entrance arch. She never was seen again

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Council are planning on building an underpass of the N21 and integrating the tunnel into the Great Southern Trail greenway.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=120594&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

I believe at present the tunnel is a layby of sorts on the greenway but not part of the main greenway itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

marno21 wrote: »
    The Council are planning on building an underpass of the N21 and integrating the tunnel into the Great Southern Trail greenway.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=120594&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

I believe at present the tunnel is a layby of sorts on the greenway but not part of the main greenway itself.

That’s great news. I’ve been on the Waterford greenway and that tunnel is one of its better features. The tunnel in Barna is off the main greenway, and you can only really travel to the end of the tunnel and turn around then. It’s very overgrown. Interesting to hear the back story as I run on that trail a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Where exactly is the barna tunnel? I'm intrigued now and want to go have a peek!

I was on the Great Southern Greenway lots during the Christmas. Loving the new signs and benches. It's really looking great and is really well used by the local community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

panda100 wrote: »
    Where exactly is the barna tunnel? I'm intrigued now and want to go have a peek!

I was on the Great Southern Greenway lots during the Christmas. Loving the new signs and benches. It's really looking great and is really well used by the local community.

If you park at the car park at the top of Barna, the one where the trucks also park, you'll see the little gravel path off to the right. Take this and follow it for 400-500m and you'll find the tunnel. Looks better on a wet drab day I think! Alternatively, if you're on foot or bike on the trail, there is a gate in the fence across the road from the car park.

It is looking well, interesting for a non-local to learn all the townlands.

I also had some very enjoyable sloe gin over Christmas, courtesy of the ample supplies of the trail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

My grand-uncle was a train driver on that route back in the first half of the 20th century. He's no longer alive but I must ask the older members of my family if they recall hearing that particular ghost story from him.

JohnDozer wrote: »
    If you park at the car park at the top of Barna, the one where the trucks also park, you'll see the little gravel path off to the right. Take this and follow it for 400-500m and you'll find the tunnel. Looks better on a wet drab day I think! Alternatively, if you're on foot or bike on the trail, there is a gate in the fence across the road from the car park.

It is looking well, interesting for a non-local to learn all the townlands.

I also had some very enjoyable sloe gin over Christmas, courtesy of the ample supplies of the trail!
    testicles wrote: »

Thanks guys. I've cycled from Rathkeale to Abbeyfeale on The Greenway before so must have passed through it before, though I don't remember any spooky tunnels!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

testicles wrote:

Ahh okay, I see where it is now. I'm a bit slow after the Christmas, apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 C.ohagan15

testicles wrote: »

Very hard to find it’s on the road from Newcastle west to Kerry you’ll pass in Newcastle west a wall with nets of rocks on the left then your near there’s the derelict house on right pass that and after 5 min you’ll see on left a huge car park stop there and walk 100 ft you’ll see a huge sign saying barns tunnel go down small path down bridge and There is tunnel go through tunnel and out other side you’ll see the train station house

C.ohagan15 wrote: »
    Very hard to find it’s on the road from Newcastle west to Kerry you’ll pass in Newcastle west a wall with nets of rocks on the left then your near there’s the derelict house on right pass that and after 5 min you’ll see on left a huge car park stop there and walk 100 ft you’ll see a huge sign saying barns tunnel go down small path down bridge and There is tunnel go through tunnel and out other side you’ll see the train station house

Not sure where the nets of rocks are and don't know of a derelict house on the right travelling Newcastle West to Co Kerry. If you mean the 2 storey house on the bend then I wouldn't call that house derelict - not sure if its lived in presently but I would doubt that most would assume it to be derelict.

Presumably the carpark you mention is what would be referred to locally as Barna viewing point? This car park is quite prominent, right beside the N21 and a popular enough stop of point for artics. The path way down to the old railway is to the upper right of the carpark as you look towards NCW. Really not that difficult to find.

Advertisement