Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Telephone allowance (re Household Benefits) & VOIP?)

• 30-08-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I'm applying for the Household Benefits Allowance (re non-contrib. state pension). In the Telephone Allowance part, there's a choice between landline phone & mobile phone. So it seems to exclude VOIP - has anyone clarified that? (If it's like some government forms, it could be out of date).
    I also want to know if I can start with one call type and switch to a different one later (as when people cancel their landline to use mobile only).
    I've been tying the help number on the form (1890 500 000) for 2 days so far and it's constantly engaged. My employment office says it's the only number for getting these questions answered (and don't have the answers themselves).

I'm signing up to Blueface soon, and cancelling the landline (as it's a difficult line even for voice calls). It might take a while to get through the process & stop paying line rental (I'm damned if I'm going to arrange for Eircom to receive money for nothing from the State either).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Sorry for double posting - how do I delete one? (tried via Edit button, couldn't spot a Delete one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There should be a Delete button on the bottom of the Edit page ..... I had to use it earlier :(

From my reading of the information on the site, if you elect to use a mobile phone you get the benefit paid into your bank account (or Post Office).
    I guess then you can spend the funds on VOIP.

Generally they want - or expect - (according to one person I spoke to in their office) the customer to sign up with one of the providers who make accommodation for deducting the Govt allowance from your bill.

So, as far as I am aware, electing to say you use a mobile phone (if you have one) gets the funds paid directly to you, and you can spend it on credit or monthly payment (they expect).

I suspect you could also use the funds, once they are in your control, to spend it on credit for VOIP calls.

If I ever get the chance to get rid of the Eircom landline that is what I intend.

EDIT:
    From Sept this year those benefits are reducing ..... which is why I was reading the site.

regards.

Thanks Johnboy - looks as if electing for for mobile's my way to go then. I should have spotted that myself about where it's paid to (sorry - I think I was suffering from form fatigue!).
    If Wimax hadn't become available here, I'd still be unable to get my new (ish) computer online at all. My signal's well good enough for VOIP.
    Good luck with getting rid of your of your landline (especially if it's as bad as mine!).

Anyone know if I could start with a landline Telephone Allowance and change it to mobile later?

P.s. Couldn't delete my duplicate posting - tried the Edit button of all 3 of my postings here, bur for some reason the only one giving the Delete option is the one about deleting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Anyone know if I could start with a landline Telephone Allowance and change it to mobile later?

I believe yes .... as I spoke to them about something similar.

I would not advise it though ..... two sessions with bureaucracy is way too much IMO :D

Thanks.
    I should just go for the mobile one from the start though (which adds up to the same thing). As has only just dawned on me (it's definitely time for a coffee!).
    A German word for struggling with bureaucracy translates as 'paper-battle'. Certainly describes what I've been having of late (and that's not counting persuing a formal complaint to Eircom to the bitter end!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I'm applying for the Household Benefits Allowance (re non-contrib. state pension). In the Telephone Allowance part, there's a choice between landline phone & mobile phone. So it seems to exclude VOIP - has anyone clarified that? (If it's like some government forms, it could be out of date).
    I also want to know if I can start with one call type and switch to a different one later (as when people cancel their landline to use mobile only).
    I've been tying the help number on the form (1890 500 000) for 2 days so far and it's constantly engaged. My employment office says it's the only number for getting these questions answered (and don't have the answers themselves).

I'm signing up to Blueface soon, and cancelling the landline (as it's a difficult line even for voice calls). It might take a while to get through the process & stop paying line rental (I'm damned if I'm going to arrange for Eircom to receive money for nothing from the State either).

You could contact them, however, You will probably pay eircom more with the benifits from the state then from Blueface. You could ring blueface and ask however, as sometimes Blueface is confused and called a Landline, its voip to be correct:D

Best bet is to go for mobile and use your allowance on PAYG Blueface, I not completely sure on the billing though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Sorry for double posting - how do I delete one? (tried via Edit button, couldn't spot a Delete one).

That's not possible to do yourself. You will have to contact the voip forum Mods
    See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64669427.

Thanks Mr Grumpy. The Telephone Allowance is the same (€25.90pm) whether it's the landline or mobile option. The only difference is where the money's sent to; directly to the phone account for landline, and into one's bank account etc for mobile (so the latter can go towards landline, mobile, VOIP, carrier pigeon or whatever it is at the time).
    So it's the delete button for 1 of my posts that's the oddity! The double posting doesn't seem to have caused any confusion so far, though (I hope).

Advertisement